Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hodgson defends Vardy

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There was minimal contact on Wilson against Fulham and he clearly dived. That was never a penalty either. Vardy's dive was more blatant, and of a different nature, though. He moved his legs towards the West Ham player in order to initiate contact, before throwing himself to the ground. I thought it was completely indefensible - perhaps I was wrong.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The defender is slightly behind him.
dive1.jpg

Vardy put his right foot in front of the defender away from the ball.
dive2.jpg

Then as the defender is falling because Vardy's tripped him up, he hooks his left trailing leg up the back of the defender to wrap himself around him. It's actually very dangerous play, it could break the defender leg.
dive3.jpg

If you think the defender had ANYTHING to do with the challenge you're winding me up.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Plenty of players cheat, dive, simulate, exaggerate etc but fans are only really upset when opposition players do it. More people will say that a dive makes up for the foul earlier in the match that wasn't given or a match 25 years ago when the ref got something wrong.

the trouble is that it is never 100% clear cut. I think Vardy dived but as you can see, there are some who aren't even Leicester fans, who don't think he did along with a majority of Leicester fans.

Going at the pace that these players do the only person that really knows if they dived is the player themself so I have every sympathy with the referees, though Vardy was an idiot for mouthing off.

Beats me why players do this; it never changes the decision and just gets them into more bother.

I wish the FA would give clear guidance about the wrestling matches in the box though. It happens ALL the time. At least this ref gave a warning to Huth and Morgan before giving the penalty so think he was quite justified there though he should have given a penalty to Huth too at the other end so you could say it evened out in the end.

By the way, sort out handball too. It drives me nuts that it's so rarely given.....

biddles911

May 12, 2014
There was minimal contact on Wilson against Fulham and he clearly dived. That was never a penalty either. Vardy's dive was more blatant, and of a different nature, though. He moved his legs towards the West Ham player in order to initiate contact, before throwing himself to the ground. I thought it was completely indefensible - perhaps I was wrong.

You may be right about the Vardy "dive" but you're assuming a conscious thought process to initiate contact which, at the speed he was going, is possible but hardly certain.

At least as likely is that he was trying to move across the defender to shield the ball and get into a shooting position?

No idea which is the reality but you've got to sympathise with the ref who's got to make a split second decision when we can't even agree after umpteen replays on TV.....

Time for technology to assist?!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
attacking players seeking contact has been happening more recently, the more common form is where a player in in the box and looks to go past a defender with their trailing leg fishing for any contact.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You may be right about the Vardy "dive" but you're assuming a conscious thought process to initiate contact which, at the speed he was going, is possible but hardly certain.

At least as likely is that he was trying to move across the defender to shield the ball and get into a shooting position?

No idea which is the reality but you've got to sympathise with the ref who's got to make a split second decision when we can't even agree after umpteen replays on TV.....

Time for technology to assist?!

I think its pretty clear that Vardy consciously and deliberately deviated from the ball in order to throw his right leg in front of the defender to initiate the contact, that he thought would get him a penalty. It was an 'unnatural' movement, to draw a foul and [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION] has called it perfectly with his series of pics of the incident. The ref called it spot on on the day.

Vardy has previous with this - he won a penalty at Arsenal by doing something very similar, whereby he actually went out of his way to make contact with the defenders leg to draw a foul. I wouldn't be at all surprised if referees have been told to watch out for this little trick of his, and Moss got him bang to rights when he tried it on again against West Ham.

The foul-mouthed, cheating, racist, violent little thug finally got busted, and he knew it. That's why he reacted how he did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here