Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pressing

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
From watching the game on Sky yesterday it looked to me like we are playing a very similar system to last season but with a very important difference: the midfield and forwards spent the whole game pressing Man U high up the pitch. Was great to see and won us plenty of possession in some dangerous areas. Hope we continue to see this, especially at the Amex.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, it was immediately apparent yesterday, one of the MOTD commentators picked up on it in the analysis as well. I like it!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Interesting stat from the game:

Manchester United made five successful tackles in the entire match with none of them arriving in the opening 45 minutes. Brighton's pressing of the ball saw them win 13 tackles during the match with eight of them in the Manchester United half.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From watching the game on Sky yesterday it looked to me like we are playing a very similar system to last season but with a very important difference: the midfield and forwards spent the whole game pressing Man U high up the pitch. Was great to see and won us plenty of possession in some dangerous areas. Hope we continue to see this, especially at the Amex.

Indeed - most pleasingly we didn't sit back when we were ahead, but carried on pressing high up the pitch (even in the Championship we always tended to drop back after going ahead). The players were also hunting in groups. Great to watch.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

It was the same performance as we put in against Arsenal I'd say. Similar level of incompetence in the back four as well.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Indeed - most pleasingly we didn't sit back when we were ahead, but carried on pressing high up the pitch (even in the Championship we always tended to drop back after going ahead). The players were also hunting in groups. Great to watch.

This exactly. Two massive and positive differences in our game which, away from home particularly, could make a big difference.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Klopp's influence in the Premier is already showing. His level of pressing is crazy, and it looks like we're aiming for a similar level. If we can put away the chances when we successfully press we'll go a long way. Whether we quite have the athletes to do that all season is another matter but that's where the bigger squad comes in I guess. And probably another reason why Bruno may not be seen as much . . . *sniff*

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Might be a tad harder to do against Liverpool

They passed/ran through us with ease last year, men vs boys on the day. Be interesting to see if CH adds some pace to the forward line by dropping Murray who is unlikely to get the service he thrives on. Closing down and fast counter attacking are our best hope of avoiding a drubbing imo. Early subs to help out knackered players chasing shadows, we will need to chase everything down for 95 plus mins imo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting stat from the game:

Manchester United made five successful tackles in the entire match with none of them arriving in the opening 45 minutes. Brighton's pressing of the ball saw them win 13 tackles during the match with eight of them in the Manchester United half.

Good stat.

I'd like to know how many of those 13 tackles were made by ANTHONY KNOCKAERT.

D

Deleted member 18477

No one in football likes being pressed... even City and Barca...

At times yesterday I thought Knockhaert was Salah and March was Mane....

Outstanding! Only the best teams can literally pass around that.

The difference between Knockhaert and March to Salah and Mane though is they do it every single game, oh and are LETHAL in front of the goal. If we play like that in 20 of our 38 games we will stay up with ease... the ability looks to be there it’s the consistency which is crucial over a whole season.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
They passed/ran through us with ease last year, men vs boys on the day. Be interesting to see if CH adds some pace to the forward line by dropping Murray who is unlikely to get the service he thrives on. Closing down and fast counter attacking are our best hope of avoiding a drubbing imo. Early subs to help out knackered players chasing shadows, we will need to chase everything down for 95 plus mins imo.

Yes or perhaps the alternative is to rotate say Knocky/Gross with the new guys who are perhaps more likely to give him some service. Knocky in particular so often seems a different player away from home.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Bruno commented in this in an interview he gave about pre-season training - he said that they had been working on fitness levels to allow for better pressing. Knockaert is like a little terrier at it. I also liked the greater aggression of Stephens and Propper - Propper has become a master of the well-timed shoulder barge.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Seems to be the trend these days. I guess it's a bit of a case of if you can't beat them, join them. Great to see it working for us!

Huddersfield do it too, and have of course done it successfully against us in the past (February at theirs a couple of years ago?), but watching the motd2 analysis it didn't seem to work for them against City yesterday. But then it did for Liverpool against City last season...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One of the keys to the success yesterday was the referee.

When we pressed and made challenges the ref didn't fall for the Man United players falling to their arse looking for cheap free kicks to get themselves further up the pitch to punt high balls into our box. You won't always get a referee who doesn't get conned in those situations.

Liverpool and Man City you can't press them. Their players are not as ''one dimensional'' as Man United are. Look what City did to Huddersfield when they pressed yesterday. Against City and Liverpool, you defend deep and hope to keep them out - Or even just keeping the score down is like gaining a point because others won't keep the score down against them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here