Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What do you consider to be the greatest debut album of all time ?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Sure , the GRANDADS will say I'm talking tosh but this album will always be one of my favourites. Never do I pick one song from it. I have to listen to it from start to finish and immediately I'm taken back to college days.

Hot Fuss by The Killers. Wonderful album.

Spot on. A tour de force of 5 great pop/rock singles followed by 7 fantastic album tracks. Blew 11 year old me away! Also not blighted by the pretentiousness of other "obvious" candidates.

On top of that, Mr. Brightside has just spent its 200th week in the top 100 and is the most streamed song released before 2010. It's the ultimate noughties banger.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Hot Fuss made a huge impact when it came out. They just arrived so fully formed. Most would argue they have not lived up to the hype since but at the time they were incredibly exciting. I came back to this thread specifically to make sure that album got a mention.

Saw them on their first UK tour, supporting British Sea Power at tiny venues such as Lincoln Bivouac, and then at their first UK headline gig, upstairs at the Camden Barfly (not even sold out). They had tunes for sure, but I would never have predicted they'd become so huge.

DavePage

s-l225.jpg0

When Meat was big

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Cure disintegration
Pixies Doolittle
No one has mentioned Grace yet !
Bon iver for Emma
Nation of millions...
So many.

Although stone roses wins it for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
:dunce:
Argus was Wishbone Ash's third album

I must be one of the idiots you are talking about on this thread :smile: I have now had three corrections from different posters on this :dunce:

Foolishly I do most posts without consulting Google. I have learnt something today as I have always though Argus was their first album, and, whatever, it was fecking excellent :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
:dunce:

I must be one of the idiots you are talking about on this thread :smile: I have now had three corrections from different posters on this :dunce:

Foolishly I do most posts without consulting Google. I have learnt something today as I have always though Argus was their first album, and, whatever, it was fecking excellent :shrug:

Certainly if you were putting Wishbone Ash albums in order of excellence, Argus would be their masterpiece and head and shoulders above the rest of their albums

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Cure disintegration
Pixies Doolittle
No one has mentioned Grace yet !
Bon iver for Emma
Nation of millions...
So many.

Although stone roses wins it for me.

Given that half of those you have posted are not debuts, I am guessing that you are either fishing, or have not read the question carefully.

I hope for your sake that neither of these are true and that you are completely unaware of the existence of Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa. What a treat you would be in for.

Here's 'Vamos' as it's on both of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiDkpD2KUM

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Roxy music debut self titled album released in June 1972 was a game changer for modern popular music. Many bands of the late 70s through to the 90s were heavily influenced by the Roxy Music ‘sound’

My personal favourite came a decade later in 1981 Duran Duran self titled album. Tracks included planet earth, careless memories and girls on film - all of which were beautifully produced and still sound cutting edge 35 years later.

Because Duran Duran looked like pop stars are meant to look, they were seriously under rated at the time and its only in the last few years serious music journalists have started to appreciate their genius

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Too many to have A greatest of all time it's too subjective - few favourites of mine here from slightly different genres, in no particular order, and in true NSC spirit breaking the rules of the thread, my list - choosing one is impossible

Please Please Me - Beatles
Accelerator - Future Sound of London
Queen - Queen
The Doors - The Doors
The Young Knives - Voices of Animals and Men
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in the Corner
Original Pirate Material - The Streets
Timeless - Goldie
Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys
The Slim Shady - Eminem
Procol Harum - Procol Harum
Journey Inwards - LTJ Bukem
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Kings Of Leon - Youth And Young Manhood
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Talking Heads - Talking Heads
Hopes and Fears - Keane
Prodigy - The Prodigy Experience

I guess if I had to take ONE on a desert island it would be something you could dance, sign a bit too and maybe chill to so Timeless - Goldie or The Prodigy Experience

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
All 3 of the Trip-Hop Holy Trinity are stone-cold classics, all 3 were debut albums and all 3 hugely influential, far beyond their own musical genre:

Portishead - Dummy
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Tricky - Maxinquaye

Both Massive Attack and Tricky had better albums afterwards so not sure if their debut albums should be included.

A couple of one-hit wonder albums that are truly great:

The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
The Pipettes - The Pipettes (let's not mention their 2nd album)

And more recently a couple of Icelandic singers: Soley's debut album 'We Sink' and Hafdis Huld 'Dirty Paper Cup' are personal favourite as is Fever Ray's. I think they're great so I'm sticking them in.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Spot on. A tour de force of 5 great pop/rock singles followed by 7 fantastic album tracks. Blew 11 year old me away! Also not blighted by the pretentiousness of other "obvious" candidates.

On top of that, Mr. Brightside has just spent its 200th week in the top 100 and is the most streamed song released before 2010. It's the ultimate noughties banger.

I've got to say i just don't get the attraction. Really ordinary cynical landfill indie and Mr Brightside is, to me a total dirge. But I accept I'm obviously in a minority and lots of people really like it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stone Roses - Stones Roses.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The thread is about debut albums, this came out many years after Three Imaginary Boys,
The Cure first album already mentioned on this thread.

Eighth album.
Up against Diamond Dogs, Automatic For The People, Sergeant Pepper 's and my favourite 8th 'Alien Lanes', Guided By Voices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here