Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert and depression

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Just as well that late-at-night Knocky thread post at the back-end of last season got taken down by NSC mods earlydoors. Else the player's sainthood may well have been taken into question...

I'm not sure anyone is daft enough to think that he's a saint.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Knocky obviously isn't in the tens of millions bracket like Rose is, and we're not looking to offload him anyway, but I'd hope his openness in revealing his problems with mental health wouldn't count against him if/when he moves on. The fact that he now seems to have conquered his demons and come out the other side is a credit to him.
Were his issues due to the death of his father and recent relationship break-up, or something else too? If just the former, I'd expect they're less likely to affect him too badly further in the future, and therefore less of a concern for a buying club.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Equally, many people in similar circumstances go onto lead perfectly happy lives and materially, loved and opportunity 'rich' people get depression. That's the thing with depression. Anyone can get it. Like the plague. Kings or Peasantry. It cares not which thou are....(in this instance, obviously Knocky is the King, mind, and we're all peasants should anyone need reminding)

Yes, it seems to pick on anyone for no apparent reason. I'm really trying to understand it more and to get that it's an illness because a few years ago my thoughts would have been "what have you got to be depressed about?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Were his issues due to the death of his father and recent relationship break-up, or something else too? If just the former, I'd expect they're less likely to affect him too badly further in the future, and therefore less of a concern for a buying club.

Probably a combination of the two, and his resulting poor form will not have helped either. One thing after another, so its no surprise things got on top of him, and certainly sheds some light on that insane lunge and red card at Everton. I must admit I gave him pelters over that incident, and had him down as a petulant prick. If nothing else, this has served to remind me that footballers, even rich ones, are human beings who also have to face problems and traumas in life just like the rest of us. Their money doesn't insulate them from everything.

Zaha is still an insufferable whiney spunktrumpet though, obviously. He's fair game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

He had two deaths in his family, as his brother died young not long before his father died.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The red mist last season, especially at Everton, clearly alluded to... something.

How about the almost identical red mist v Fulham t'other week where he luckily failed to make contact out by the touchline? The one where Hughton subbed him a couple of minutes later to save the player the suspension he was clearly all fired up for? What did that allude to?

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I applaud Knockaert’s bravery in speaking up about his personal experience.

Until I suffered depression (2 years ago) I would of been someone who would of said “just pull yourself together “. The reality of depression however is that it is all consuming- it was only until I came through it that I realised how unwell I had been. I still managed to function but it was simply that / I was sort of functioning but not living.

I now feel better armed to hopefully deal with it should I encounter depression again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How about the almost identical red mist v Fulham t'other week where he luckily failed to make contact out by the touchline? The one where Hughton subbed him a couple of minutes later to save the player the suspension he was clearly all fired up for? What did that allude to?

What about the Fulham game?

One - you're seeking to presume he is over all his issues. He says he is 'happy', but this is an ongoing condition.

Two - against Everton, he spent a fair whack of the match playing like a looney. Against Fulham, he felt sleighted by a decision he didn't get, and he gets impetuous. We'd seen that before - even before all the issues with his father etc.

Three - I've no idea what it alludes to, hence my vague point. I'm not medically qualified, but it was evident it was part of something as he had been lacking or poor or not on his game for most of the season. There is a difference in quality between the Championship and the Premier League - of course there is. But it's not so big that players can't make the step up - and many have. Knockaert, on the other hand, was struggling to, until probably the last two or three games of the season.

So... what about the Fulham game? What's your point?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I remember the Barnet match last season in the Carabao Cup. Knockaert was getting some rough treatment from the League Two side and was screaming at the linesman to do something about it. Knocky picked up a yellow card and Chris Hughton seemed furious with his conduct and subbed him. I can understand why now that trying to get angry and let off steam was one way of trying to cope with it. If only we knew how much it was affecting him inside. Really pleased that he's on the right path again to playing his excellent football and opening up about the illness.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Get over it, Knocky. It's known as life and it's made up of smooth bits and rough bits. Dealing with the rough bits is part of life and doesn't require a public outpouring of grief.

You utter pillock.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Equally, many people in similar circumstances go onto lead perfectly happy lives and materially, loved and opportunity 'rich' people get depression. That's the thing with depression. Anyone can get it. Like the plague. Kings or Peasantry. It cares not which thou are....(in this instance, obviously Knocky is the King, mind, and we're all peasants should anyone need reminding)

There is a difference between reactive depression and endogenous. In Pennant (and presumably but not necessarily AK's) case it is reactive. In other cases (in football Collymore may be one) it has no obvious cause and is endogenous (caused by the 'clock' that modulates or mood and 'affect' swinging too far in one direction).

It saddens me that the 'pull youself together' contingent still harbour their medaevil viewpoint. Of couse in some cases this is the bluff bravado they use to disguise their own issues. Anyway....

I love my club. Brilliant football club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to hear about your mum.

Not sure what you mean by 'just saying' though?

I'm not sure either. He's on my 'ignore'. Fancy that, eh? :shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Get over it, Knocky. It's known as life and it's made up of smooth bits and rough bits. Dealing with the rough bits is part of life and doesn't require a public outpouring of grief.

Post reported. I'm sure i'm not alone to want to never read your bile ever again.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Probably a combination of the two, and his resulting poor form will not have helped either. One thing after another, so its no surprise things got on top of him, and certainly sheds some light on that insane lunge and red card at Everton. I must admit I gave him pelters over that incident, and had him down as a petulant prick. If nothing else, this has served to remind me that footballers, even rich ones, are human beings who also have to face problems and traumas in life just like the rest of us. Their money doesn't insulate them from everything.

Zaha is still an insufferable whiney spunktrumpet though, obviously. He's fair game.

Just before his red card at Everton there were two Brighton supporters who had a right go at him, telling him to F... off, etc... knowing he could hear their every word (this was when the ball went out for a throw and they were just a handful of rows from the front) and you could see he looking right at them as they said this, clearly hearing what was said and he moved a bit towards them like he was going to confront them but stopped himself and almost immediately afterwards the game restarted and that's when he flew into the challenge that led to his red card. (within seconds of the abuse)

If he was at a really low point in his battle with depression already, hearing this abuse from his own sides supporters could have tipped him over the edge and been the catalyst for his red mist during that match

Fans defending that sort of abusive behaviour from the supporters, saying that they are a professional player and therefore should be able to ignore the people that shout abuse at players, abuse from people who have paid their money to attend and should therefore be able to do what they like may not realise just how much of an effect that abuse could be having on the recipient, especially if unbeknownst to anyone else at the time, if they are battling something like this. Just because someone earns a high wage or plays sport for a living, it doesn't make them immune, they are human after all but some people seem to forget this.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

If anyone needed any more reasons to disregard everything this **** posts, here it is. Absolute CJTC

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well done for speaking up Antony. You'll encourage others to do the same.

You've fought for the Albion ... and now the Albion will fight for you.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

It was a blocking tackle, looked fine on the replay

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here