Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 4th Test v India

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that with the overcast conditions our bowlers would have done well and we would be batting on a better day.

Who was it who said, 'you win the toss, you assess the conditions, the weather, the pitch, consult your team, and after all that discussion, you bat.'

No one winning the toss yesterday was doing anything other than batting. It wasn't that overcast, it looked perfect batting weather. I would suggest 99 out of 100 times winning that toss the captain would bat. Why on earth would you risk a chase batting last?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Who was it who said, 'you win the toss, you assess the conditions, the weather, the pitch, consult your team, and after all that discussion, you bat.'

No one winning the toss yesterday was doing anything other than batting. It wasn't that overcast, it looked perfect batting weather. I would suggest 99 out of 100 times winning that toss the captain would bat. Why on earth would you risk a chase batting last?

Because your Batsmen are capable....ohhh

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A 29-ball duck. That's a bit PANTS.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because your Batsmen are capable....ohhh

As a captain, walking out at the toss and making a call based on not trusting your batting line up – you may as well take a white towel out with you. Let us not forget that if you bowl, you bat last, an even worse scenario if you don't trust your line up. You don't chose to bowl because of your batting, if anything you only make that call if you've massive confidence in your bowling AND batting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As a captain, walking out at the toss and making a call based on not trusting your batting line up – you may as well take a white towel out with you. Let us not forget that if you bowl, you bat last, an even worse scenario if you don't trust your line up. You don't chose to bowl because of your batting, if anything you only make that call if you've massive confidence in your bowling AND batting.
I'm sorry, this is just the worst type of overthinking. I'm not sure why you're expecting an England captain to have any confidence in his batting lineup on current form. England consistently find themselves 30/3 and that is a fact.

With that in mind, when Root wins the toss, he should just make a decision based on the conditions. That is all BG is saying and I agree. All of what you say reminds me of General Melchett and his dumb decisions to do exactly what he did the last time when everyone got slaughtered in the first 5 minutes!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm sorry, this is just the worst type of overthinking. I'm not sure why you're expecting an England captain to have any confidence in his batting lineup on current form. England consistently find themselves 30/3 and that is a fact.

With that in mind, when Root wins the toss, he should just make a decision based on the conditions. That is all BG is saying and I agree. All of what you say reminds me of General Melchett and his dumb decisions to do exactly what he did the last time when everyone got slaughtered in the first 5 minutes!

To win the toss and bowl, conditions have to be near perfect for bowling otherwise you always bat. The history of the game tells us that the team who bats first more often win the test match.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Definitely make the decision based on conditions. 9 out of 10 times you still probably bat, then that 1 time out of 10 you really think about bowling, and you still bat.

Statistically there is less advantage to batting first than anytime in cricket history, however twice as many captains will chose to bat than those that have a bowl. Even if this England side had India at 250 batting first, the pressure is even greater because you have to have a lead after that first innings. At least now England have the knowledge that India will be batting last here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Chaps, I get all that BUT you could easily argue there were good bowling conditions there yesterday. Why not play to our strengths - even with Jimmy and Broad being about 48 years old we are still a better bowling side than batting.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Chaps, I get all that BUT you could easily argue there were good bowling conditions there yesterday. Why not play to our strengths - even with Jimmy and Broad being about 48 years old we are still a better bowling side than batting.

If the pitch currently turning like it is for Ali doesn't tell you you don't want to be batting last, I don't know what will!

Anyway, fantastic recovery from England here, never judge a pitch until both have batted, another long lived adage.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that too much emphasis is being raised about batting 4th. The crux of the matter at the end of the day we have to score enough to make it impossible for them to win as we do not need to win to win the series they do. In an ideal world we will go out and bat for the best part of 2 days leaving just over a day to bowl them out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It'll be interesting to see who England send out to bat tonight (if they need to). It depends on whether Root is sold on the idea of a night watchman I suppose.

If he is, we could easily see someone like Keaton Jennings bat tonight.

:jester:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It'll be interesting to see who England send out to bat tonight (if they need to). It depends on whether Root is sold on the idea of a night watchman I suppose.

If he is, we could easily see someone like Keaton Jennings bat tonight.

:jester:

Nah, we'd want someone who can actually stay there and block a few deliveries without getting out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In an ideal world we will go out and bat for the best part of 2 days leaving just over a day to bowl them out.

Ideal world, I would say England batting for 2 days is a fantasy world! Batting for 4 sessions would be some achievement by this lot...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Moeen Ali and either Cook or Jennings depends which one we can afford to lose tonight

ps

Looking very much like we will bat this evening.probably very soon.

Can we not keep Bumrah on strike and let them see the evening out.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here