Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club will be writing to those who purchased a ticket for Bournemouth [but didn't go]

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I've worked in Information Security and I think the host club giving this data to the Albion could be in quite a sticky position.

Curiously, however, those who don't attend are unlikely to be able to take action since, as they didn't attend the host club does not have any entrance scan data on them. It's only those who do attend that the host club has data on, and seems to be passing to the Albion.

I might pursue Bournemouth with the ICO on this, because I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Edited my post

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
My letter would've been in the post, but having become a ST holder for a second time five years ago (living up north for a long period made it impossible to attend games regularly enough to justify a ticket), I don't currently have the requisite points to get any away tickets.

So basically your complaint is that you can't get tickets over fans who have attended more games home and away than you over the years?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
What's the data protection law on this

!!

I think Bournemouth or any other club may be within their rights to say no you can't have this and blame data protection.

Imagine just for a moment if you're a married man, you told your wife you were going to the Bournemouth game but instead you spent the night with your girlfriend. Shortly you will be getting a letter through your door asking why you weren't there.

I'm not a data protection expert but I suspect you would have a very good legal case against Bournemouth asking why they think they can share this data with BHA, the club employees and ultimately your wife.

*i was there with Mrs Giraffe so I'm alright Jack!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I saw posts from regular posters, who wanted tickets for Bournemouth and couldn't get them, because others had got in first with no intention of going.
It's cheating in anybody's world.

To be fair you (and the club) don't actually know whether they bought the tickets "with no intention of going".

All you know is that for some reason (which as well as "having no intention" might include sickness, family problems, the belated realisation having been there four days earlier that Bournemouth was a dump and it takes a long time to get there to watch a team unlikely to perform.... ) they didn't actually go.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I saw posts from regular posters, who wanted tickets for Bournemouth and couldn't get them, because others had got in first with no intention of going.
It's cheating in anybody's world.

Would you be having this argument over a cinema ticket?

And it's not cheating. These people have paid their money. That they've decided not to attend is, quite frankly, neither here nor there (and I'm sure there were a fair number of different reasons for non-attendance). What some have actually paid for is the ability to go to other away games that they care more about. Either way, you can't compel a paying customer to use a product - you pay your money and you have the right to do with it as you choose, whether that's going or (for whatever reason) not going.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I think Bournemouth or any other club may be within their rights to say no you can't have this and blame data protection.

Imagine just for a moment if you're a married man, you told your wife you were going to the Bournemouth game but instead you spent the night with your girlfriend. Shortly you will be getting a letter through your door asking why you weren't there.

I'm not a data protection expert but I suspect you would have a very good legal case against Bournemouth asking why they think they can share this data with BHA, the club employees and ultimately your wife.

But are they breaking the law by giving out this info?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Loyalty scheme good but a percentage SHOULD of been available to all season ticket holders . Even just a couple hundred so it's not effectively a closed shop .

Everyone saw this coming and now fans being treated like kids for a problem that won't be seen again .

Ironically you will probably see less bums on seats at away games now as those who have work commitments and illness won't simply pass ticket on .

At least given someone something to get teeth into since the transfer failures and the flak that went that way

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't recall giving AFC Bournemouth my explicit consent to share my data (if my ticket was scanned upon entrance and when) with a third party (Brighton & Hove Albion FC). Did anyone else?

From their website >>> "We do not sell, rent, or otherwise provide personally identifiable information to third-parties without your consent, "

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

But they won't actually have shared any information on you (because you weren't there). They will only have shared information on people who were there. So the knowledge of your not being there is actually based on an absence of data about you, rather than sharing data about you. It would be really interesting to know whether knowing where someone isn't (but not where they are) because there's no data on them being there actually counts as "personal data" for the purposes of data protection legislation.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
No, but the club record who buys each ticket. They have to stick them into envelopes for a start.

I usually buy match tickets for several (eligible) people - guess I'm going to have to be careful to make sure that the assigned ticket gets given to the right person in future. At the moment I just hand them out at random. I bought multiple tickets for the Bournemouth cup game, most went, a couple didn't (one had to work late, one was genuinely ill). No idea which tickets were used though, so every chance someone who went will get 'the letter' because they scanned a a ticket that wasn't purchased in their name....

Just spent the last 10mins carefully reconciling the West Ham tickets against the order receipt, writing initials on the back of each ticket. Can't believe it's come to this, total over-reaction to an easily avoidable situation IMO.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not saying they are, but I think they have a case to answer to.

They are releasing Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to a third party (BHAFC) without my consent that allows that third party to identify me and what I did.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

I don't know, I only know that the data protection rules are ridiculously tight nowadays and unless people have signed for their data to be used in this way it is very difficult to share it with anyone. But I'm sure both clubs have lots of clever people who check these things.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There is no flaw in my argument. The system is fine. The club just need to close the loopholes that allow cheats to prosper. The first step would be some random ID checks outside The Emirates on Sunday. I hope they do it.

You do realise that the people you are complaining about, these "cheats", are also the same loyal, paying customers that have been going to home AND away games for many many years. Know how I know this? Because to get away tickets this season you have to have had a season ticket for a very, very long time.

Ergo, what you're suggesting is that the club punish some of their most loyal customers.

Next you'll be telling me that the club should punish me as a ST holder if I don't go to home games (maybe because I'm getting sick of the whining of other fans).

But hey, don't let logic hit you on the way out.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I'm not saying they are, but I think they have a case to answer to.

They are releasing Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to a third party (BHAFC) without my consent that allows that third party to identify me and what I did.

I don't know, I only know that the data protection rules are ridiculously tight nowadays and unless people have signed for their data to be used in this way it is very difficult to share it with anyone. But I'm sure both clubs have lots of clever people who check these things.

Fancy making a call?

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/make-a-complaint

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I usually buy match tickets for several (eligible) people - guess I'm going to have to be careful to make sure that the assigned ticket gets given to the right person in future. At the moment I just hand them out at random. I bought multiple tickets for the Bournemouth cup game, most went, a couple didn't (one had to work late, one was genuinely ill). No idea which tickets were used though, so every chance someone who went will get 'the letter' because they scanned a a ticket that wasn't purchased in their name....

Just spent the last 10mins carefully reconciling the West Ham tickets against the order receipt, writing initials on the back of each ticket. Can't believe it's come to this, total over-reaction to an easily avoidable situation IMO.

This is a point I made. We do exactly the same. Won't matter for Bournemouth as we all went, but for example last season my wife was ill for a game so didn't go, we just dished the tickets out without thinking.

I have done exactly the same now with the Arsenal tickets in case someone pulls out on the day.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Would you be having this argument over a cinema ticket?

And it's not cheating. These people have paid their money. That they've decided not to attend is, quite frankly, neither here nor there (and I'm sure there were a fair number of different reasons for non-attendance). What some have actually paid for is the ability to go to other away games that they care more about. Either way, you can't compel a paying customer to use a product - you pay your money and you have the right to do with it as you choose, whether that's going or (for whatever reason) not going.

Only 45% of the money goes to Brighton in a cup game, and zero in a league game, so why should those fans get loyalty points?
Yes, there are some circumstances where fans can't go at the last minute, but they are few and far between.
Tickets are in great demand right now, so don't buy them unless you're sure you can go.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
What happens if your barcode doesn't scan when trying to enter the ground and you have to manually be let through the turnstile - let's face it, it's not that uncommon. The gentleman in front of me at the Bournemouth league game had the exact same problem.

Are we going to need to take selfies in the stadium to mitigate against any accusations of non attendance?

Sounds ludicrous but we're getting to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here