Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rampion Wind Farm

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A total blight on the (what was) fantastic view from the seafront. Ruddy ugly things that actually are negligible in the 'green' label taking into account the amount of destruction to the wildlife, sealife and environment in their production, installation and operation.

Yet another example of ridiculous bureaucracy without any common sense.

OK Grandad! Time for your horlicks.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A total blight on the (what was) fantastic view from the seafront. Ruddy ugly things that actually are negligible in the 'green' label taking into account the amount of destruction to the wildlife, sealife and environment in their production, installation and operation.

It looks fine to me. We need much more of this sort of thing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

A lot of the time the visibility will be so bad you will hardly see them anyway.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

I think they are marvellous examples of modern engineering and design. They never fail to amaze me at there sheer size whenever I pass one by. Whether it's passing them in the English countryside, in a foreign country or driving down Wilson Avenue with the Rampion Wind Farm in the distance.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Tidal is much better and doesn't look shyte.

yep I'm amazed that as an island nation we haven't spent more time and money in tidal energy projects.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Putting aside the aesthetics as that is a personal opinion, which form of energy doesn't destroy any wildlife in it's production, installation and operation ( although I'm not sure how wind power does that in it's operation anyway ) ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Putting aside the aesthetics as that is a personal opinion, which form of energy doesn't destroy any wildlife in it's production, installation and operation ( although I'm not sure how wind power does that in it's operation anyway ) ?

They've stopped operating the wind turbine at our business park in Woodingdean (included in the development by planning condition) because it kept beheading pigeons and seagulls.

Apparently wind turbines shouldn't have three blades, it's just the way it's always been done.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/two-bladed-offshore-turbines-could-cut-cost-energy-50-jakubowski

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I live right on the seafront in Saltdean & look out over the wind farm...personally I think it will look great when its finished. TBH, you cant even see it 75% of the time anyway - even on a clear day (on land) it can be difficult to see out there with off shore mists / cloud etc.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I think you've just made that up. Would love to know your alternative BTW.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was down on Goring seafront last evening with the dog & kids and was marvelling at the view of the wind farm. My daughter (11) said she hated it, as it spoiled the view. So much for my generation trying to save the planet for our kids' !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Went out there today in a chartered boat from Shoreham. Interesting stuff.

They go fully operational early next year. They're all built, and are soon to be tested - just the last building of the substation to go.

Some stuff...
• there is half a kilometre between each turbine.
• the distance from the easterlymost turbine to the westerlymost is the same distance as shoreline to nearest turbine (about 7 miles).
• boats are welcome into the wind farm area provided they (a) don't go within 50m of the turbines and (b) don't go within 500m of any operational vessels.
• the shape of the sea bed is largely a downhill continuation of the Downs, with an ten foot 'cliff' running east to west from about the Palace Pier to Littlehampton
• There is a shipwreck within the Rampion Wind Farm area

20171102_112310.jpg

20171102_112449.jpg

20171102_115023.jpg

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I am planning to paddle board there in the spring (with food, refreshments, radio, flares, life jacket etc.). On a nice day should be an amazing trip.

Edit: with other paddle boarders (not alone)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Looks great.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Went out there today in a chartered boat from Shoreham. Interesting stuff.

They go fully operational early next year. They're all built, and are soon to be tested - just the last building of the substation to go.

Some stuff...
• there is half a kilometre between each turbine.
• the distance from the easterlymost turbine to the westerlymost is the same distance as shoreline to nearest turbine (about 7 miles).
• boats are welcome into the wind farm area provided they (a) don't go within 50m of the turbines and (b) don't go within 500m of any operational vessels.
• the shape of the sea bed is largely a downhill continuation of the Downs, with an ten foot 'cliff' running east to west from about the Palace Pier to Littlehampton
• There is a shipwreck within the Rampion Wind Farm area

View attachment 90774

View attachment 90775

View attachment 90776

Great pix, who was the charter with?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If you are in the middle of the farm and you head back to land in a straight line, what part of the coast do you meet ? I’m guessing East Worthing ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here