Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] £10,000 to every citizen under 55....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Eh...

This sounds to good to be true, Bring it on....

Whoopee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43078920

Payments would come from a British sovereign wealth fund in the form of two annual £5,000 dividends, the RSA proposes.
The payments would not be means tested, and applicants would only have to demonstrate how they intended to use the money.

Not sure 5000 lucky dips would be the right thing to say, you gotta speculate or accumulate or so they say.

What would you spend it on.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It doesn't say, but i assume this includes children as well (every citizen under 55).

I have 3 kids. Can i have theirs (for investment purposes obvs)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good way to devalue the currency further. Careful Labour might put it in their manifesto

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Good idea as long as they don't cut poorer people benefits because of this money, which they probably will which would mean the poor get hit hard again like they always do. It would be better to bring what Finland use which is universal basic income.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
They better get a move on before I reach 55 in a few years...

That reminds me of when I was at junior school in Portslade. They wanted to build a swimming pool, so for 3 years we did raffles, sponsored nonsense, gave cash etc etc. When it was finally built we weren't allowed to use it as we'd left two months earlier.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Good idea as long as they don't cut poorer people benefits because of this money, which they probably will which would mean the poor get hit hard again like they always do. It would be better to bring what Finland use which is universal basic income.

If they get 10,000 cash each year they won't need benefits.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The BBC article makes its clear that certain benefits would indeed be affected or even discontinued.

'The idea sees two payments of £5,000 paid over two years, but certain state benefits and tax reliefs would be removed at the same time.'

'As the dividends would replace payments such as Child Benefit, Tax Credits and Jobseeker's Allowance, the savings for the government could also be ploughed into the fund.'

etc. etc.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Pie in the sky stuff - but IF it actually happens, I will take my two £5000 slices of the pie with thanks!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Eh...

This sounds to good to be true, Bring it on....

Whoopee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43078920

Payments would come from a British sovereign wealth fund in the form of two annual £5,000 dividends, the RSA proposes.
The payments would not be means tested, and applicants would only have to demonstrate how they intended to use the money.

Not sure 5000 lucky dips would be the right thing to say, you gotta speculate or accumulate or so they say.

What would you spend it on.

As I read it, it's for re-training fees so people have another skill if they lose their job.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why the 55 cut-off, we've paid a lifetime of taxes etc.,would be nice to get something back. Not that it will ever happen anyway.

Don't worry, those who will get these payments will probably end up having to work for a few more years until they can retire, just to fund the taxes needed to provide the funds needed to pay for it

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As I read it, it's for re-training fees so people have another skill if they lose their job.

Yeah, but we all know that, that is highly unlikely to be where the majority of this money will be spent, I would forecast a boost in holidays booked in Benidorm for the month after the payout....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is this "planning ahead" that these people are speaking of? Are they experts? Do they have facts?

There's no place for progressive thinking in Brexit Britain. We carry on with the old ways, making the tax and benefits systems ever more complex. Damn these upstarts!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here