Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Transport in Brighton TIME FOR A UNDERGROUND SYSTEM.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
councils dont own or run the buses. fortunately, commercial operations do which will switch to electric and hybrid as the old rolling stock is replaced, already occurring in London.

The council operate the street parking, the revenue generated is diverted to public transport, subsidising the private companies who operate the franchise. By using some of that revenue they could operate a free of charge fully automated city centre service, as I described, allowing the franchise owner to operate the surrounding areas.

The existing system is antiquated and dangerous but expecting them to leap into the future and deliver what is needed is unrealistic.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
af1720ff21673bafb8f0a98a8198435e.jpg

The 2011 Coldean to Falmer line was created for the AMEX era. FACT. Well, sort of.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't know the future of the high-street, but it will undoubtedly be different. I suspect what will happen is someone with great imagination will come up with novel uses for the shops, something we've not thought of as yet. It would be a shame if they just dissolved to flats. If I knew what the answer was, I'd be a rich man. In Shoreham the town centre is all cafes and nail bars, but at least there are no empty premises - it would be nice to be able to get a good cup of tea somewhere, not just coffee !

Hectors and Artisan both do a decent brew.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, they're ok, but nothing special, as far as I know. I've only had t/a from Hectors but been in Artisan many times. Having no kidneys and limited on drinking volume, every cuppa has to "count" !

Ah I see. Maybe those couple up towards the Wellie?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Public transport? What if they want to make their own way to town? Many people need their car to get around.

Everybody has a reason to stay in their car. A decent park n ride or vehicle permits for the people truly unable to board public transport safely. Although specially equipped mini buses are a great option. Plenty of disabled people are perfectly capable of getting around on public transport.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Over ground transport (Bus and cars ) killing the city with Pollution.We need a Metro line from City Centre to the Amex and Race course back to along Sea front then upround Weston road to serve shopping then the station and Lewes road.

Trams would be better, would remove the clusterf*ck of buses. And would send the selfish private motorists on some who cares where detour round the outskirts of the city. To those that say it couldn't be done, they've done it right outside East Croydon station. And it works superbly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Plenty of disabled people are perfectly capable of getting around on public transport.
Yes plenty are, but it's not easy for all, and some might not live close to the transport. Life is hard enough without making them ditch their independence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Public transport? What if they want to make their own way to town? Many people need their car to get around.

Been on a B&H bus recently? Their design is being constantly updated, you'll rarely go a week without some new design tweak.But for a while now, the buses have had a pressurised thing whereby the bus can hydraulically sink to pavement level for wheelchairs/pushchairs. Plus, where this isn't possible for whatever reason the driver has access to to a ramp to allow access. Plus the interior is specially laid out to give wheelchair/pushchairs full access to the front downstairs area. Big fan of B&H buses in that respect.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Pedestrianise everything from Withdean to the sea life centre and from Hove Lagoon to the marina. Make more cycle paths, and get a tram set up. Hopefully allowing pedestrian access to Dixons.

Utter twaddle, but you know that anyway :lol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Mono...D'oh!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Been on a B&H bus recently? Their design is being constantly updated, you'll rarely go a week without some new design tweak.But for a while now, the buses have had a pressurised thing whereby the bus can hydraulically sink to pavement level for wheelchairs/pushchairs.
Yes I'm aware how the buses work :facepalm: How does this help someone who doesn't live near a bus stop? And what about when that person is going to visit someone who doesn't live near a bus stop?

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I'm aware how the buses work :facepalm: How does this help someone who does live near a bus stop? And what about when that person is going to visit someone who doesn't live near a bus stop?

Yawn. Yet another thread where you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Is there a condition for what you've got?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The local councils in Sussex arent the slightest bit interested in improving anyone's lot with helpful schemes. They'd prefer to just throw up high rise monstrosities in Shoreham and Lancing to rake in millions of pounds in Council Tax. The people who have to live under the shadow of these blocks can go whistle.

Not In My Back Yard with bells on! What about the need for more homes?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Brighton & Hove council decided years ago that 'the bus' was / is the answer and that the private sector (B&H Buses) can deliver it.

I can't see that ever changing. A infrastructure project of that size seems simply beyond the capacity of our council.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Would it not be cheaper to re instate the tram system that was about in the 50s but obviously updated.Perhaps they could look at 1 sq mile car exclusion zone from the old clocktower cross roads except taxis any time and delivery vehicles at certain specified times ie 8pm -8am.
What about trades? Take their tools on the bus I guess

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here