Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Le Mans - 2017

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Think we may find that the LMP2 drivers become a little less willing to passively make way for the LMP1 Porsche as we move into the closing stages. Fascinating stuff potentially.

Haha! You're right about the campsite on the Monday. I didn't see any burning last year but the number of fridges and fridge freezers left standing like monuments is amazing. I guess people must buy them from gumtree etc which the knowledge they'll be left at Le Mans. From what I hear, the local gypsies pass through the campsite and pick up anything worth having when the campsite empties. The beer bottle pyramids are amazing too!

60db5c8fc4e58c51e6d6f625d96ccec9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Monday 8.am the local gypsies do indeed turn up and clean the place of all recyclables. What I noticed about the 2010 race was that it tends to police itself. I saw 2 policemen all weekend.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Brilliant finish to the GT class. Well done Aston Martin.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Brilliant finish to the GT class. Well done Aston Martin.

Agreed. Marvellous stuff. Like most, I thought he'd blown it when over cooking it into to Arnage, but the corvette lost it half a lap later. Not sure if they'll protest saying the contact caused the problem. Hope not:clap2:

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
It's been an amazing couple of days! If any NSC'ers are thinking of going you should definitely bite the bullet and go next year!

88c64d25f0d7089fe935a97e779b229c.jpg

Mar 12, 2008
Just departing Cherbourg ferry terminal, our seventh or eighth trip on the trot. Will take a week to recover but thoroughly worth it, another superb end to the race! The weather we had definitely improves the camping experience!

Just departing Cherbourg ferry terminal, our seventh or eighth trip on the trot. Will take a week to recover but thoroughly worth it, another superb end to the race! The weather we had definitely improves the camping experience!
Which camp site did you stay at?

In 2010 we stayed at Blue nord and it was great but facilities were limited at best. Now I am a little bit older I am looking for a less camp bastion camping experience when we return in 2019.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It's been an amazing couple of days! If any NSC'ers are thinking of going you should definitely bite the bullet and go next year!

88c64d25f0d7089fe935a97e779b229c.jpg

Am seriously considering this, have watched it a few times now n the TV and it's one of those events that you come across in your childhood and are gflad are still going, gives me a nice, nostalgic feeling - much like golf. Far prefer the endurance stuff to F1.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I last went in 1987 as a young'un (first and last visit). Maybe its time to go again, just not right up there given money limitations.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Sadly couldn't make it this year but I did spend almost 22 hours watching it, fell asleep between 3-5am.
It's an amazing event that draws huge crowds. You were very lucky with the weather, almost guaranteed to rain.

Felt it a shame that a LMP2 car didn't win overall, I was hoping the Porsche would 'do a Toyota' on the final few laps. Shame Barthez retired. Best looking car was the Larbre for me this year.
[MENTION=1181]East Preston Gull[/MENTION] you can do a 'glamping' option. I've stayed with http://www.1st-tickets.co.uk in their private campsite Premier Vert. Turn up to a ready made tent, blow up mattress and sleeping bag. Couple meals a day, safe and secure and relatively quiet. They were on the inside of the Dunlop bridge when I went last, near the Stadium, 3 minute walk to the viewing bank looking down the esses de la foret. Or you can have a chateau off site if you really want to get away.

Radio Le Mans preview has a load of information on it, but they did say that http://traveldestinations.co.uk/ have 'The Flexotel Village' if you're over sleeping in a tent.

Mar 12, 2008
Which camp site did you stay at?

In 2010 we stayed at Blue nord and it was great but facilities were limited at best. Now I am a little bit older I am looking for a less camp bastion camping experience when we return in 2019.

We stay in Mulsanne, away from the madness of the sites nearer the circuit. It's a little out the way but we take bikes so Arnage and Porsche curves are only a short cycle away. Hot showers, well maintained toilets, decent security, a big screen, Carrefour and a decent little bakery are a 5 min walk. Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

We stay in Mulsanne, away from the madness of the sites nearer the circuit. It's a little out the way but we take bikes so Arnage and Porsche curves are only a short cycle away. Hot showers, well maintained toilets, decent security, a big screen, Carrefour and a decent little bakery are a 5 min walk. Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.
This sounds more like a stay for me next time. Too old for blue nord party town now. Thanks for the tip.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

The last 2 times I've gone I've had seats in the grandstands at the start/finish straight so tend to always go back there through the night to watch. Next year I want to watch from some different vantage points. Can you get a good view at Arnage?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
You can take the bus (for free) down to Indianapolis/Arnage, a good atmosphere down there, some banking has been built up to make it easier to see. Food stalls and a big TV.
Same for Mulsanne corner.

Mar 12, 2008
The last 2 times I've gone I've had seats in the grandstands at the start/finish straight so tend to always go back there through the night to watch. Next year I want to watch from some different vantage points. Can you get a good view at Arnage?

We tend to visit the grandstands during practice and qualifying as you don't need a ticket for those sessions. Get yourself down to Arnage, it's fantastic. Probably our favourite viewing spot! You are nice and close to the fence and last year they expanded the viewing bank so you can now see them on the approach into Indianapolis from Mulsanne.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Garage 56 or normal entry? Last year Frédéric Sausset, a quadruple amputee finished 38th overall in an adapted Morgan-Nissan. Good luck to David.

Seen him drive many times and even had the stomach churning experience of being a passenger at brands for 3 laps , he drives a unadapted Mini , the company I work for have sponsored David for a few years but the amount needed for Le Mans is eye watering but he's so determined I wouldn't bet against him making it .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here