Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

larus

Strong? How on earth are you measuring this? Any economy propped up on near zero interest rates and QE doesn't strike me as strong.

True, but at least we don't have negative interest rates like, er, um, oh yeah, the ECB. Oh, and the ECB is actively still pursuing QE.
And Italy is still f***ed.
As is Greece - see latest discussions on the next tranche of bailout money.
And France is in a bad way.
But, no, it's the UK that's supposedly struggling.

Yet all those scare stories of what would happen if we voted to leave (not when we actually left) have turned out to be BS.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
http://news.sky.com/story/bank-of-england-lifts-uk-third-quarter-growth-forecast-10578804
Good news isn't it. Not as bad as they said. Got a feeling some will find some gloom about it.

Brexit hasn't even began yet so best hold your horses before you start gloating.
In the meantime, perhaps you can justify why my passport will be de-valued as Amber Rudd has admitted is likely to happen. I'm sure even those who voted to leave will be thrilled they have to pay visa charges to go on holiday or do business in Europe. Not.
Of course it was never mentioned during the campaign, but then those sorts of issues which really matter to people were cynically and deliberately omitted amid all the disgraceful lies the Leave campaign told.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Brexit hasn't even began yet so best hold your horses before you start gloating.
In the meantime, perhaps you can justify why my passport will be de-valued as Amber Rudd has admitted is likely to happen. I'm sure even those who voted to leave will be thrilled they have to pay visa charges to go on holiday or do business in Europe. Not.
Of course it was never mentioned during the campaign, but then those sorts of issues which really matter to people were cynically and deliberately omitted amid all the disgraceful lies the Leave campaign told.

Most that voted are not motivated by money or concerned about the hassle that applying for any rumoured visa would entail. :D

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

she didnt admit it was "likely" to happen at all.
she was just emphasising how the negotiations on visas are reciprocal and it cant be ruled out,she did say it was not "desirable".

Its at this point you have to ask yourself what is the most likely outcome,will the negotiations end with us having 90 day visa free travel for holidays and business trips,like Japan,Argentina,USA,Grenada and a host of other countries have to The EU and will EU citizens have 90 day visa free travel for holidays and business trips to The UK.
or
will The EU say no we must pay for visas to enter The EU and likewise EU citizens must pay to enter the UK. Considering Rudd sees the latter as not desirable and i cant see The EU wilfully punishing their own citizens in their pockets i know which outcome my money is on.

No one was lied to on this issue, i cant think of one person that didnt know visa access would be an issue post Brexit. I have heard plenty of people though who dont understand the concept of visa access being a reciprocal issue

what is very possible however a few years down the line is all non EU citizens who dont need a visa having to pay an Esta style check and permission to travel fee.The Germans and French are keen on the idea to combat terrorism and the EU is going to look into it. Given the minimal cost of doing it online and being valid for a number of years that would hardly be a big issue though.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
To be honest, most people are motivated to some extent by money. Absolutely nothing to do with voting to leave though.

It can't be about money you're right. A majority of those working full-time or part-time voted to remain in the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It can't be about money you're right. A majority of those working full-time or part-time voted to remain in the EU.

You and [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] are correct, the Leave voters were not motivated by money.
The only people pre occupied with their money in their pocket aspect were those that placed economic issues as superior reasons for staying in above other issues.
Leave voters,it can be agreed had bigger more important issues to consider than the economy and did indeed look further afield than what would be in their wallet.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Brexit is home-grown... as someone else put it, the greatest act of national self-immolation since who knows when.

how many standpoints do you want? You are up for the cake and eat it award.

On one hand you say we cant possibly judge the Brexit vote yet because it hasnt happened yet and we need to see what happens after article 50 is invoked and we leave re our future relationship.
Yet you judge the brexit vote as the greatest act of national self-immolation since who knows when......when as we all know we havnt left yet and havnt invoked article 50 and havnt finalised negotiations

Hypocrite springs to mind

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

I wasn't gloating. Just posting some positive news.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Project fear. That wasn't disgraceful lies too??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
4 minutes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
http://news.sky.com/story/bank-of-england-lifts-uk-third-quarter-growth-forecast-10578804

I saw this yesterday. Growth of just 0.3% proped up by near-zero interest rates and a whopping 435 billion of QE? 435 billion. Jesus. What happens when interest rates can't go lower and the BoE runs out of ink in its printing machine? No doubt some will try and spin this as positive.
I'd be interested, in the light of your post on the uk and qe, to hear your views on the EU and qe Herr. I don't understand why you aren't up in arms about it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/europes-qe-quandary

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here