Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Views from a Birmingham supporter re Saturdays game.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Thoroughly decent post [MENTION=19076]AGT[/MENTION]

Had a chat with some of your fans on one of he buses back to the racehill. Is zigic really on £75k a week?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Not true, we were frequently guilty of dropping deep once we'd scored during Gus's 2 year reign at the amex (along with the keeper hoofing it long in extra time and giving away possession, another tradition that's continued under Oscar Garcia).

Gus was a cautious manager but I don't think our gameplay changed as much when we took the lead as it does now. We didn't lose any matches from winning positions last season whereas this year we've lost four times after going in front.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Good report and a pleasure to hear nice comments from a supporter whose team has lost at the Amex. Normally they slag off the place when defeated.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hey, he didn't mention the padded seats.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus was a cautious manager but I don't think our gameplay changed as much when we took the lead as it does now. We didn't lose any matches from winning positions last season whereas this year we've lost four times after going in front.

I remember so many games under Gus when we tried to sit on leads, we may not have lost games where we took the lead but we did draw quite a few games where we were 1-0 up that we had dominated by sitting deep for the last 20.

Oscar often makes a positive substitution late in a game, bringing on an attacking player, Lua Lua mostly to give us an outlet. From memory Gus often brought on a defensive player when we were 1-0 up.

It may be my imagination but I don't recall nearly as many last 20 nail biting moments this season when it seemed inevitable that the opposition would score.

Incidentally excellent and very impartial and interesting post by the OP

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very nice and good to hear positives from a supporter of a loosing team. Usually they are good if the opponent wins or slag everything about us off if they loose!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Cheers for that. Zigic seemed completely un-interested.

btw - I went to St Andrew's last August and thought BCFC and stewards
really treated us well.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
It may be my imagination but I don't recall nearly as many last 20 nail biting moments this season when it seemed inevitable that the opposition would score.

Your right. Away to Bham last season, funnily enough, justifies your point, at home to Bolton & Boro as well. There doesn`t seem to be as many smash and grab raids at home as well ( Barnsley excepted ) as last season, again Bham at home springs to mind

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for a thoughtful and accurate write-up. I get continually frustrated by our sitting deeper and deeper. If we'd conceded an equaliser we would only have ourselves to blame.

Glad you seem to have enjoyed your day out.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
It's not the first time this season that we've sat back far too much and dropped really deep when we've gone into the lead. I think that's why we've lost so many matches from winning positions this year, which is something that didn't happen at all last season

Happened a few times with Poyet, except from we'd concede in the last minute, mainly due to the fact we'd play 3 defensive midfielders.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not true, we were frequently guilty of dropping deep once we'd scored during Gus's 2 year reign at the amex (along with the keeper hoofing it long in extra time and giving away possession, another tradition that's continued under Oscar Garcia).

Spot on. Hopefully OG and his analysis team will work on the team carrying on as before when we take the lead, rather than getting sucked in deeper and deeper in defence.

A very well written and fair article by the Brummie fan.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What a well-written report. I too wish we didn't sit back on leads so much. I was willing Orlandi to smash the ball to the far post; he was in the sort of position from which an in-form Will Buckley would have gone on and scored. I groaned when the 6 minutes went up for time added on. I thought you could see Brum were below strength, though Burke impressed me at St Andrew's the season before last and I thought he was dangerous yesterday too. He reminds me of Jamie Ward at Derby. Don't be too harsh on St Andrew's, fella. It's got one of the best away ends in the Championship, though of course I don't know what the home stands are like.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Here are some other views:

http://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,1457278

"They've got friendly, but boring fans. A smart, but boring ground. They're an inoffensive, but boring club."

"Boring ground, boring fans, boring club."

"It's a decent ground with good facilities but like loads of the new stadiums it has no soul and feels like it's in the middle of nowhere."

"I like Brighton, they're obviously a very friendly and pleasant bunch who deserve credit. But they seem way to inoffensive. Which means opposing fans might find Brighton a bit dull in the sense that they'll never do anything outrageous or hateful."

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Here are some other views:

http://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,1457278

"They've got friendly, but boring fans. A smart, but boring ground. They're an inoffensive, but boring club."

"Boring ground, boring fans, boring club."

"It's a decent ground with good facilities but like loads of the new stadiums it has no soul and feels like it's in the middle of nowhere."

"I like Brighton, they're obviously a very friendly and pleasant bunch who deserve credit. But they seem way to inoffensive. Which means opposing fans might find Brighton a bit dull in the sense that they'll never do anything outrageous or hateful."

The boring fans bit I don't get. What do they expect, the Royal Variety Performance? I've never been to an away game where I thought 'these away fans are boring.'

They obviously have no idea of our history. Our fans were the least boring in the land for a long long time. We wunt be druv!

And the old chestnut about the Amex being soulless. Ridiculous. I'm sure they would prefer falling down, smelling of p*ss, roofless etc etc.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not a bad report but im a little surprised how many are saying it's completely fair. I can't say I remember Birmingham being competitive in the first half with their 8-2-0 formation and we have as many injuries as they do. I thought we absolutely dicked them for the whole of the first half. Very well written though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here