Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsene Wenger

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When he first came he was an absolute breath of fresh air. He bought quality players for not an awful lot, he built a dynasty and his club was able to go toe to toe with Man United despite having nowhere near the same financial muscle.

So it really is a shame to see his conduct these days. He's gone from that to a serial whinger, and last night was a real low point in my opinion. His accusation that Sterling dived for the City penalty really is low, especially considering it was a pen all day long. He just moans for the length of the interview whenever they lose, which of course is increasingly regular. This lack of class is making me wonder whether Ferguson had him right all along.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, always a bad loser and ungracious in defeat, he's become a bitter old man. Disgraceful lie and slur on Sterling. 1:11 into this video, from all angles the Arsenal player brings down Sterling. Anywhere else on the pitch, that's a blatant foul.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He is a very sore loser, most of his post match comments lose or win are odd, and maybe he has gone too far this time but most post match interviews are a waste of time anyway, except Chris of course.
I don't agree with the term lose gracefully, especially if one of the goals was a yard offside, and was it a clear penalty? you could see why it was given but in slo mo they both came together at the same time, any slight contact and down they go.
If Zaha does that in a few weeks and Chris calls him out as a seriel diver, which he is, then we will probably all be applauding the comment.
I know Chris would never do that but I am saying if he did.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Funny how he's gone from "I didn't see it" when Thierry Henry and Robert Pires allegedly dived in 2003 to having spectacular eyesight that can see some distance fifteen years on. :lol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Shoulder to shoulder which is not a foul and greater strength of Arsenal player causes Sterling to ground himself.
A view from North London so Im told

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He's deflecting attention from his own team to someone else, in this case Sterling.

Unfortunately for him, his team doesn't look like competing for anything more than fourth place and have just been swept aside by a City team that didn't play well by their standards. He's constantly having to deflect and so he produces increasingly brazen and flawed arguments about why his team didn't win.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It was a pen all day long. Sterlings legs were taken out as well as it being shoulder-to-shoulder. His team selection and tactics were off. Arsenal were bullied in midfield and never looked like winning that game in a month of Sundays.

Also... if you want to win football matches, it might be a good idea to play Lacazette from the start. He is class.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was a pen all day long. Sterlings legs were taken out as well as it being shoulder-to-shoulder. His team selection and tactics were off. Arsenal were bullied in midfield and never looked like winning that game in a month of Sundays.

Also... if you want to win football matches, it might be a good idea to play Lacazette from the start. He is class.

Good post.

Sterling was direct in on goal with the ball. Monreal made no attempt to win the ball or shepherd, he took the man.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
We are all a bit one-eyed when looking at incidents that involves our team. However the gold standard on such matters is to flip the incident and ask:
"what would Wenger had said if Sterling was his player and the pen hadn't been given?" I think we can all guess the answer, Wenger is the worst of the bunch on such matters and he lets himself down badly.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We are all a bit one-eyed when looking at incidents that involves our team. However the gold standard on such matters is to flip the incident and ask:
"what would Wenger had said if Sterling was his player and the pen hadn't been given?" I think we can all guess the answer, Wenger is the worst of the bunch on such matters and he lets himself down badly.

Totally correct if that had been an Arsenal player who would have been screaming for a pen. The man has become a boring buffoon

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Totally correct if that had been an Arsenal player who would have been screaming for a pen. The man has become a boring buffoon
The guy has right royally f****d up, he knows it, and he's put himself under serious pressure because of it.

He knows he should have left Arsenal years ago.
He knows as he closes the door, for the last time, all he will hear is boo's and abuse.
He has taken total control over the club and they are now no better than when he joined, just a bit more sober, and considerably more expensive.
They are a one man team and he's walking for nothing in the Summer.

If there were a couple of creditable teams in 'our division' Arsenal would be mid-table now, as it is I'm not going to rule that out, because soon some of the lesser teams are going to get wise, and start doing them over.

Up next they have Spurs then away to Burnley, before Huddersfield play at the library, the day after we play palace.
They could still be on 19 points, that night.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wenger is so awful he makes me hate Arsenal as a club, in a way I really don't with any of the other big clubs. Not just for his own antics but the way some of the Arsenal fans react to everything the team does as a result.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Went too far in his criticism of Sterling and will hopefully be banished to the stands for a few games.
What a shame that his legacy will be bitterness and failure to meet expectation. All his own doing though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The problem for Wenger is that everyone knows how to beat Arsenal and he refuses to do anything to change it. He refuses to acknowledge the deficiencies in his team, by choice.

He really ought to have been fired to make way for Eddie Howe.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just makes me even more glad that we have a manager that simply oozes quiet integrity and humility.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think he lost a lot more support when he claimed its best for the club that Ozil and Sanchez are in the last year of contracts....

Gutted we will be missing our best players for the NLD

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I agree. I used to have total respect for Wenger and thought Mourinho was a breath of fresh air. I mute the volume now when either speak. Although I can’t stand Chelsea I do hope Conte doesn’t end up an annoying git like the other two. Pep won’t I’m sure of it. Why does Mourhino hang around as a manager he obviously hates every minute of it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here