Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next Saturday at the Valley

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hi Webbo.

I for one vividly remember the numbers Charlton brought to Fans United. You must have been the best represented club at the game so thanks so much for that.

a couple of questions. Is there a good link to read up further on the back story? Secondly, I'm bringing my eight year old to the game. I'd be up for showing support for charlton in whatever way possible and I think it would be a good 'education' for my boy. How peaceful are the protests usually?

Cheers and good luck

Decent summary here:
https://medium.com/@darryl1974/how-...ing-charlton-athletic-dc8a9ed7e91c#.pd2pp7xxg

https://youtu.be/GGCeoxawIwE

A sobering reminder for us to be thankful for what we have.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have an enormous amount of sympathy for the position that Charlton fans find themselves in. A word of caution about Saturday though. Please do not do anything that could result in the fixture either being abandoned or needing to be replayed. It will do lasting damage to the level of goodwill you currently have from the vast majority of Albion fans (which I'm sure will be amply demonstrated by them on Saturday) and could even lead to ugly scenes on the day between the two sets of supporters, something which I am sure you would agree with, will completely defeat the objectives you may have with your protests.
You sound like OB.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm fully aware of Charlton plight. We've been through very similar. They showed us some massive support with fans United and I respect that.

But to me it sounds like they're planning something that will cause the game to be severely disrupted or called off.

I'm not sure I can support that. Especially if we're in a winning position when it happens. We are in a run of games that is so important to us that I don't want anything to happen that could jeopardise our possible promotion. I can't put Charlton's woes in front of our own ambition I'm afraid.

If the game wasn't as important to us as it is and the game was meaningless then I would fully support them.

I remember the posts on here from calling for support for a protest when they came down earlier this season, which were soon forgotten when they were 2-0 up.

I fully understand the "you've got to do what youve got to do" attitude but I can't help but feel a tad nervous that it will jeopardise our own destiny. We've fought long and hard to get to where we are and are the club that most others turn to for help. It's nice and feel flattered but please don't cock our season up.:down:

To be fair, this is not about US! It's about Charlton. We just happen to be the high profile,for this division, team and will mean they get maximum publicity. Good luck to them due to the fantastic support Charlton have always given us.

Some short term memories in evidence. If it wasn't for the likes of Charlton and teams like them we wouldn't have a club!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If you let us win 8-0, more people would support you!

Also Charlton presented us with some form of trophy to welcome us back to Brighton at the withdean in the first game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't wish to stir up any trouble between Brighton fans, or between Charlton and Brighton fans.
I know winning helps, but the best game I ever witnessed at the Valley was a 4-3 victory over Brighton just after Peter Ward had been called up by England.
The game was an attacking, thunderous affair with all sorts (including great away support) a midweek evening game at the 'old' Valley.
The winner was scored with 20 minutes still to play by a chap called Colin Powell who later became our groundsman, and ironically this current regime have dispensed with that particular club legend's services.
I have witnessed many many games between our two clubs, and I love Charlton with all my heart as you all love Brighton, and indeed loyal Hereford, or Mansfield or Everton or whoever fans feel heartfelt love for their clubs.

It is the understanding this particular dynamic that drew fans from all over the country to your Fans United day.

Even if whilst the game is being played your fans and our fans want to relish any good stuff our teams produce, and will sing, chant and react accordingly, but it is because we all have each-other to play that we all love football.

With the exception of Chelsea fans I suppose who would love an eternity of Chelsea v Chelsea reserves for the Abramovitch cup.

Yes, I recall that match -it was really good and can even remember saying that seeing such a spectacle made up for the fact that the Albion lost. You must be an oldie like me! Charlton is always one of my favourite grounds and the fans there that I meet, or here when Charlton are at the Amex, have always been most pleasant. Good luck with your protests, by the way. When Charlton played here in the autumn, several of your fans got on the train at Eastbourne, and whilst chatting, I did, however,notice that opinion over the owners seemed divided??

Brian Riggs

Aug 7, 2009
I have a lot of time for Charlton fans following their brilliant support at Fans United Day back in 1997 - this should never be forgotten by any Albion fans.

Fully behind any action that they feel appropriate on Saturday.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
To be fair, this is not about US! It's about Charlton. We just happen to be the high profile,for this division, team and will mean they get maximum publicity. Good luck to them due to the fantastic support Charlton have always given us.

Some short term memories in evidence. If it wasn't for the likes of Charlton and teams like them we wouldn't have a club!

Very much this. I fully support the Charlton fans, as a good a bunch of fans as you are likely to meet. I hope they can force the charlatan in charge out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What we did at home to York in 1996 was the right and proper action. Fully understand the position of the Charlton fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wish the Charlton fans all the very best, and thank you for an excellent post.

I think that given our history we are totally understanding of the action you will want to take, and I'm fully supportive.

I'm also sure the game will finish. From your post you can tell that Charlton fans want to garner support from fellow fans so I doubt the goal posts will be snapped.

I'm also sure you'll get a result off the pitch. One thing is sure, a United fan base will eventually overcome owners that wish to ride roughshod over a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Wow.

When I first posted yesterday I thought that Brighton fans would be decent and I have been proved right. All of your good wishes are heartening and I admit to being a bit surprised at just how supportive the responses on here have been.

Very many thanks Seagulls.

In terms of us 'letting you win' by this or that score, well there is a feeling of disconnect between the fans we have left (they have been staying away in droves) and the players.
Yes when the game starts we still get caught up in the moment and feel a slight involvement, but on Saturday you will be playing an already relegated team and we will be there for the taking, the rest is up to you.

We only have two home games left to express our feelings, and the attitude of the support has hardened a lot since you beat us 3-2 at the AMEX. It will be difficult to find pro regime fans, any you find are more likely to be anti protest than pro regime.

The Brighton story gives us some hope that there will be a better future, for instance we have not got the Stadium issue, but our extremely rich owner (500 million Euros) will not invest, yet is reportedly asking silly money to ward off buyers, who he won't even talk to anyway.

I would like to think there will be a game between our two clubs sometime in the future under different circumstances. However in the meantime I hope you get promoted and you can sing 'you dirty northern *******s' to everybody. (It always amuses me when you sing that to us...especially as we think north of the Thames is Scotland).

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
don't play the 'age' card, I'm 67 years old and have supported Brighton for at least 50 years.....prat !

What a lovely person you must be. Thankfully you are a tiny minority who just deserves a "bless" and a pat on the head.

Webbo, virtually 100% of us Albion fans are behind our Charlton friends. Good luck in whatever you do and you will no doubt come back stronger.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sometimes you have to do the right thing even if it costs you - although I don't think it will this time.

Good luck to Charlton, hope you run your current regime out of town soon.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How about ALL Charlton fans boycott the game.... and hand their tickets to Albion fans for the day.

How about a ticket exchange outside the ground - all the Charlton fans can then go in the away end. That would look good. Then to the point [MENTION=16762]The Rattler[/MENTION] makes we can all POTG for the home end on the condition that we don't buy beer, pies etc inside the ground.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here