Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Warwickshire CCC, LVCC Div2, Hove, 18-21 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Kent win to go top (10th win)

Attachments

• Kent win.jpeg
    Kent win.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 287

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Shame the skipper ended with a "flake"...

350+ please. Deficit of 80 odd.

Archer hat-trick (Sibley, Bell & Trott). Warks 10-3.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
343 all out.

Good game to win from here.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
According to BBC text, Danny Briggs is getting some turn now.

So frustrating that we have been able to dominate significant periods of this match and yet look set to be denied the much needed win.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Off for Bad Light, hopefully it will p*ss it down tomorrow and put the game out of its misery...

EDIT: Apparently it will chuck it down from 8PM tonight but then clear up with a nice drying breeze in the morning. Warwicks to set us a target of 450 then skittle us around Tea.

Last edited:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Excuse my ignorance, but why don't we play 18 games ie home and away ?
Kent promoted btw

Division 2 was increased to 10 teams whilst Division 1 was reduced to 8. Done so more limited overs games could be squeezed in whilst not affecting the top division. Not fair for our league as the games you miss out on are randomised. Could mean only getting to play the worst team (easier win) just once away.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Because the ECB want to kill off the 4 day County Game - doing a pretty good job of it as well.

There is no money in 4 day games, very few people bother to turn up for a day where there probably won't be a result nowdays, all the attendances are for one day or T/20 games.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is no money in 4 day games, very few people bother to turn up for a day where there probably won't be a result nowdays, all the attendances are for one day or T/20 games.

Can’t dispute that but if we aren’t careful T20 will implode, clubs will become franchises, grounds will close, there will be no affinity to the teams, and cricket will die. A new sport called something like “Slog and Bash”, sponsored by Wetherspoons will replace it.

T20 needs the long game and vice versa. Sussex’s long list of presidents, sponsors, patrons, benefactors, etc are pre dominantly fans of the 4 day game.

I accept that the gate receipts for T20 keep most clubs going, except the privileged few who get the Test matches.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
100 ball cricket , played by 8 franchises will eventually take over from T20 the Sussex sharks will be engulfed by the London Megladons . :(

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Briggs and Wells continue to exert something of a stranglehold on the visiting batsmen.

Sadly Warks only need a draw so no chance of a declaration. We're going to run out of time now to bowl them out and chase down the runs needed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sadly Warks only need a draw so no chance of a declaration. We're going to run out of time now to bowl them out and chase down the runs needed.

I mentioned it earlier but Sussex's attitude absolutely baffles me. A draw was no good, they had to win. I really don't get why they've prepared an absolute belter of a batting track. Better to have gambled for the win and prepared to take the defeat (shakes head sadly)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I mentioned it earlier but Sussex's attitude absolutely baffles me. A draw was no good, they had to win. I really don't get why they've prepared an absolute belter of a batting track. Better to have gambled for the win and prepared to take the defeat (shakes head sadly)
Agreed. It is completely baffling.

I know things have moved on from the old days when Hadlee and Rice might do the final "mowing" of the pitch at Trent Bridge but, like you, I thought this pitch would have been prepared with a definite result in mind. The groundsman obviously knows the game, and the league position, so he wouldn't need to be told.

Clearly there was no such attempt made this week and I can't think the pitch is anything like what Sussex would have wanted.

Does anyone know? Is the groundsman completely separate from the rest of the club and produces the best pitch he can regardless of Sussex's situation? Is it more difficult than we think to do it in any case? What would have been the prescription to create a "result" pitch? Damp and grassy? Dry and bare? There might be rules about how moisture content has to be managed in the lead up to a game? Are the result pitches elsewhere just down to bad circumstances or are they deliberately underprepared?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Similarly we bowled a number of overs in the last two hours of yesterday with no slips or close catchers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here