Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Burnley relegation contenders this year?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The stats in their games have been appalling in terms of chances created and chances against - Wolves had 30 shots on goal today.

Burnley only had 2 shots on target, and one of those probably wouldn't have been overtaken by a slug it was that poorly hit.

There was also a stat thrown up during the game on the Burnley forwards, all with 0 goals and the most shots any forward had on target in the 5 games was 2

On that form going down

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
PaLLLLLLLace lost their first seven games without scoring a goal last season, but survived. It's too early to tell.

Yup. Weren't there also other teams that looked almost gone, only to hit a bit of form and pull away? Everton, Southampton, West Ham spring to mind. Didn't Swansea almost rebound, too?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Could be a similar scenario to Leicester's miracle season. The next season they were fighting relegation until Ranieri was sacked.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Contenders? Yes. Relegated? Who knows.

I know some won't like to hear it but in many ways they are similar to us. They are a team built on hard work and good organisation. They are a team greater than the sum of its parts. When, for whatever reason and as we've seen with the Albion, that breaks down they will struggle massively. That's what has happened at the moment. Going on his past record you'd have to think that Dyche will find a way to turn it around. That said they've only picked up 24 points in their last 27 games* so...

*We've picked up a whopping 27 from 27 in the same time span so don't get too carried away. If Burnley are contenders so are we.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There's also the argument that in this division anyone outside the top 8 are going to be looking over their shoulders, so yeah. Their finish last year was an overachievement and they've had European football to add to their workload pre/early season meaning top 8 isn't likely to be in their sights this year, so they are part of the mini league of 12.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I know some won't like to hear it but in many ways they are similar to us. They are a team built on hard work and good organisation. They are a team greater than the sum of its parts. When, for whatever reason and as we've seen with the Albion, that breaks down they will struggle massively. That's what has happened at the moment. Going on his past record you'd have to think that Dyche will find a way to turn it around. That said they've only picked up 24 points in their last 27 games* so...

*We've picked up a whopping 27 from 27 in the same time span so don't get too carried away. If Burnley are contenders so are we.

They didn’t do much in the way of transfer business in the summer though, whereas we have evidently continued to strengthen. Think Vydra was the only player they brought in ?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why was last season and overachievement.

They finished 'best of the rest', they were low scoring, home ground bullies.

Finishing above the 3 promoted teams, the likes of Stoke, WBA, Big Sam's Everyone, player run Leicester, perennial choking dog West Ham and getting a 21 point head start for the one man wonders hardly ranks as overachieving, they just undershithoused the season.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Don’t think Burnley will go down myself but think it might be a long old season for them. Impressed with Wolves but then thought with all that possession and shots at goal and they only won one nil.
The spirit at Burnley still seems strong and nothing wrong with the workrate. Mind you I said that about Stoke.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A front line of Barnes, Woods and Wolkes isn’t going to get you a load of goals, and as there defence is looking very suspect then they’ll need a lot more than the odd goal.
They didn’t invest in the summer and it is showing. As has also been pointed out teams have worked out how to beat them. I suspect that there is no plan B.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

We have game changers in our squad Jose, AK, AJ, Etc they have no flair that can do something special, nothing like us IMO

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There was a myth put our last season that they play good football.

They don’t.

Away from home they are particularly horrid to watch but they were very effective.

Last season they were one of the best organised teams. They concede possession continually lulling the opposing team more and more out of good defensive positioning. Then bang, they hit you with a set-piece or a long ball thrown into the box for someone like Wood.

They are very well drilled on the moments that matter in football, simple percentage football. An example of this is when Dyche applauds his team when they kick the ball out of play as it wastes time and allows them to reorganise.

The problem is, they have no plan B when they are not getting the luck or are missing the target.

I expect the Ginger Dalek to get them winning very soon.

They’ll be mid table (15th - 10th) by Christmas.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
If Burnley won their next game they could overtake us. So are we in a relegation scrap?
Far too early ....
If we get nowt from our next 3 matches - Southampton, Spurs & Man City we will almost certainly be in the bottom 3 ��

Yeah - Big game tomorrow !

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Battered 1-0 by Wolves, having to rely on Joe Hart of all people to stay in the game.

To lose to a relegation rival in that manner is very worrying.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To lose to a relegation rival in that manner is very worrying.

As [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] suggests, we'd better wait 30 hours before making such pronouncements.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Long term Burnley will struggle to maintain their position finance and the place are against them. This season, I think they will win enough at home to be OK.

PL broadcasting income distribution are now a great leveller. Burnley's low gates aren't a decisive factor, with their total income being on a par with ours, Hudd, etc.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The stats in their games have been appalling in terms of chances created and chances against - Wolves had 30 shots on goal today.

Something has changed as don’t see them playing any differently so what’s changed must be how other teams play against them.

Had a begrudging respect for gravel throat last season but this league is all about evolution if you’re one of the lower end sides - which they absolutely are - and I see no evidence to suggest he’s trying to subtly change their style and will probably get found out accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolves attempts stats are huge for a promoted side. Fulham not far behind.

IMG_2858.PNG

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
PL broadcasting income distribution are now a great leveller. Burnley's low gates aren't a decisive factor, with their total income being on a par with ours, Hudd, etc.

Possibly, but would you want to live anywhere near there if you were a foreign player? I accept the Pennines are lovely etc. But its not exactly London or indeed Brighton is it? Finance wise the TV money is the majority of the money but they cannot be generating anything much elsewhere? It'll be incremental at best but that has to have an effect eventually...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here