Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's a game of opinions...

I was staggered how good my 105 5800 was when compared to my ageing sora groupset. In my experience money spent on cycling stuff is always money well spent. Oh yes, a good set of wheels would be good too. However, I could see that if you put a new groupset and wheels on your bike then you may want some new pedals, saddle, bars, frame, forks.... Oh.

When you did your ageing Sora upgrade, did you also do cables and housings at the same time? I reckon the new cables and housings made a lot of the difference in my case. You don't notice the deterioration of cables and housings over time, and I must have left mine 4 years or so, it is like having a new groupset just doing them sometimes.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Out of curiosity, how much difference does a groupset make? I started road cycling about 4 years ago, and have ridden the same bike with a Sora-triple groupset that whole time. I am tempted to replace with a 105 groupset, as an interim measure as it'll probably be another 18 months before I properly upgrade to a new bike.

Yeah [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is correct just change the bartape.
If he wanted to go full 'F1' he'd have gone for Celeste tape, Lizardskin of course, but that's probably too quick for him.

The other advise wasn't too shabby, either.
Given the choice between a groupset upgrade or the same money on wheels, I think it ought to be wheels.
Chances are new wheels now will still be better than those that your new bike will come with.

Not wishing to seem rude (he saying knowing full well I'm about to be rude) with a Sora triple group set I doubt your bike came with great wheels.
That upgrade coinciding with new tyres will seem like a new bike.

I've upgraded everything on my Bianchi and inspired by [MENTION=24884]Fignon's Ponytail[/MENTION], yesterday, I even contacted my local Orbrea dealer to find out what framesets they sell.

Then my Bianchi will have, new wheels, groupset, saddle, bartape, stem, frame and forks. :lol:

Last edited:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
When you did your ageing Sora upgrade, did you also do cables and housings at the same time? I reckon the new cables and housings made a lot of the difference in my case. You don't notice the deterioration of cables and housings over time, and I must have left mine 4 years or so, it is like having a new groupset just doing them sometimes.

Yes, good point. I did indeed change the cables and housings. That would certainly have been a part of the difference.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yeah [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is correct just change the bartape.
If he wanted to go full 'F1' he'd have gone for Celeste tape, Lizardskin of course, but that's probably too quick for him.

Funnily enough, just ordered some Celeste-esque bar tape to match the new graphics on the Orbea. Hoping it makes me at least 2-3 mph avg faster now! ;o)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did you refer them to [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]?

Oh and as you were caught - never - ever, darken our door again. :lol:

Met up at bottom of West Street on the shared path. He had the look of a mean, thin, pro from West Sussex. I had a mile to get home along the bike path. Could have led the way and pulled up when home and looked a ****** or, as I did, sit behind, make a presence and make sure he headed out of God's County and returned home without taking any of our women.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bike is out of action. Thank funk it happened this Saturday, not in 2 Saturday's time. Basically no big ring gears.

Swore at loads of suicidal squirrels this morning. The silly kunnts.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's your last climb [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION]

I thought you were taking the left turn @ 2mins 39, which is a bit of a 'Beacon', with a cracking descent into Chi.
As it is you're going straight down (up) then bombing through Compton to the Ashlings.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you want to feel truly insignificant as an amateur cyclist, have a daily look at my friend Colin James' strava.
(You can find him on my kudos (seriously embarrassing))

He's doing this:-

http://www.centcolschallenge.com/

CCC West Pyrenees. Led by Phil Deeker : The toughest of all the CCC’s, this is quite simply the ultimate CCC ride, with a bit of everything that is best about road riding in the mountains. Starting and ending in San Sebastian, the first three stages are pure Basque ‘Badness’, with many 20% climbs that will test all riders from the very outset. Mid-event we spend three consecutive nights in Argeles-Gazost, tackling some of the Giants as well as exploring the roads-less-ridden. Stage 6 is The Extreme CCC Stage, with 6,800m of climbing (with easy short-cuts for the less bold/insane!) The route also takes us over some truly epic Spanish climbs, such as the concrete-road Collada Aralar on stage 10. ( With Phil Deeker)

10 Col a day for 10 days!

Today's figures are:-

Distance -132.76 mi
Elevation Gain - 15,978 ft
Time - 10h 35m

Only 9 days to go :ohmy:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Here's your last climb [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION]

I thought you were taking the left turn @ 2mins 39, which is a bit of a 'Beacon', with a cracking descent into Chi.
As it is you're going straight down (up) then bombing through Compton to the Ashlings.

I'll put my hands up. That looks nasty. I saw his speed and gradients. That's 85ish miles in isn't it?

I need you to remind me how many miles in that downhill hairpin is.

Anyone got a spare 58? I'm beginning to think I'll be bikeless for it anyway. LBS seem baffled by the problem. The solution may have to be a conversion which is annoying. Might have to buy a new bike.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll put my hands up. That looks nasty. I saw his speed and gradients. That's 85ish miles in isn't it?

I need you to remind me how many miles in that downhill hairpin is.

Anyone got a spare 58? I'm beginning to think I'll be bikeless for it anyway. LBS seem baffled by the problem. The solution may have to be a conversion which is annoying. Might have to buy a new bike.

It's not too bad, straight up no pissing around.
The still that the clip has stopped on, with the red car, is interesting.
You come flying down a 10% descent and have to try to turn into that 10% climb!

The 'hairpin' descent will be your second 'proper' descent on the route.
The first one down from Goodwood is as nice as it can get.
You'll be find on the 'hairpin' descent it just would be remiss of me not to mention it, don't sweat it.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'll be gutted for you if you were to miss out, so if it comes to it you can borrow my Cube, it's a 58.
But it is my winter hack so it's probably heavier than what you're used too what with the disc brakes etc.

Keep me posted.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I felt like one of these two, today:-

[tweet]1038901065230548994[/tweet]

In fairness it was such a ride of 2 halves I probably felt like both of them, across the morning.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] you are proper gentlemen. Thank you so much for your offers.

So now, adding a race cable to the new chain set and front derailleur, the chain ring change on a shakedown was like a bullet being fired. Nearly made me swear. Commuting tomorrow, so will know if its sorted nice and early.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] you are proper gentlemen. Thank you so much for your offers.

So now, adding a race cable to the new chain set and front derailleur, the chain ring change on a shakedown was like a bullet being fired. Nearly made me swear. Commuting tomorrow, so will know if its sorted nice and early.

Fingers crossed Moto.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here