Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's lesser Sussex for you I suppose.

Over here it's very much still shorts and short sleeves, even on our club ride last night.

Almost perfect temperature for me at the mo, if a tad muggy still.

I'm sure they all came over from bEast Sussex, then upon seeing me lumbering towards them, realised their mistake.

Actually the worst culprit, and rider who switched me onto this, was coming the other way over Coombes, which as we all know is the demilitarized zone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did the ride to and from Selhurst Park this Summer ever take place?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's the Strava name for you NSC 2 wheeled geeks? I'd like to check routes you do.

My signature. \/

Here you go Fignon
jersey-euskadi-replica_400x.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Good stuff, I couldn't comment on Tifosi beyond 'they were pretty good 10 years ago.
In fairness I can't comment on Orbea either, other than the company has a cracking back story and they are definitely returning to the market, strong.
Oh and you can now wear the Euskaltel-Euskadi kit, which is cool.
(See if you can get a pair of [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]'s shoes from Planet X!!).

Have a listen to this:-

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/38-the-basque-country-episode

I'll definitely have to do something about the riding gear as most of my stuff is Giant branded....and that'll be a big fashion faux pas IMO!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll definitely have to do something about the riding gear as most of my stuff is Giant branded....and that'll be a big fashion faux pas IMO!

I've got a couple of bits of Etxeondo cycling clothing (Basque Country brand) and it's excellent kit.
If you see any with a decent discount buy it, it's worth it, then tell me.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just got chased down by a cyclist, who had taken a shine to my shoes. Wanted to know what the Luck orange/black shoes were and where he could get them.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just got chased down by a cyclist, who had taken a shine to my shoes. Wanted to know what the Luck orange/black shoes were and where he could get them.

Did you refer them to [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]?

Oh and as you were caught - never - ever, darken our door again. :lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did you refer them to [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]?

Oh and as you were caught - never - ever, darken our door again. :lol:

Not sure if this will be funny in the telling, but it was at the time. I haven't been out much, but at the start of the summer I went on a 40 miler or so and felt flat as a pan cake as I hit the Steyning bypass from the Partridge Green Road to then head into Steyning. There were 3 mountain bikers waiting to turn in the central area, but I caught the traffic just right and meandered passed them with a bit of natural momentum. One of the mountain bikers then decided with his full suspension and mooosive tyres (not as big as [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION]'s though ha ha) that he was going to get on my wheel - which of course I took huge offence at and upped the cadence - but still I could hear the mtb gaining on me, to which I literally buried myself passed the leisure centre, heart rate through the roof, legs like jelly. I looked round as I went round the first sharp bend into Steyning and they weren't in sight. I laughed manically at how ridiculous that had been, then realised I had to get through Coombes with absolutely nothing left - all because of someone on a different bike...

Should be a poll really, but under no circumstances, no matter injury, fitness levels or otherwise, would there be any circumstance I should have allowed the above to have happened is there!? It was the completely correct thing to do. I was just lucky I had remembered my blue inhaler!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should be a poll really, but under no circumstances, no matter injury, fitness levels or otherwise, would there be any circumstance I should have allowed the above to have happened is there!? It was the completely correct thing to do. I was just lucky I had remembered my blue inhaler!
As you were in Best Sussex but not at the demilitarized zone, had you reacted in any other way, West Sussex rules would have applied, therefore the only course of action would have been:-

Kick you into a ditch and set fire to your bike.

You did well young warrior.

I had a couple yesterday waving and nodding at me.
I didn't respond.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Gutted to hear this morning that the bike I ordered is no longer available - but luckily they had the model with the full Tiagra G/S instead, so saved myself about £200 and getting basically the same bike. Phew...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Out of curiosity, how much difference does a groupset make? I started road cycling about 4 years ago, and have ridden the same bike with a Sora-triple groupset that whole time. I am tempted to replace with a 105 groupset, as an interim measure as it'll probably be another 18 months before I properly upgrade to a new bike.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Out of curiosity, how much difference does a groupset make? I started road cycling about 4 years ago, and have ridden the same bike with a Sora-triple groupset that whole time. I am tempted to replace with a 105 groupset, as an interim measure as it'll probably be another 18 months before I properly upgrade to a new bike.

Are you having problems with the Sora? If not, I'd save your money and put it towards the new bike when you upgrade.

I have Sora on my winter bike and 105 on my bike in France. There is not a particularly noticeable difference in performance.

On my 'special' bike I have Ultegra, which is smoother, but is iot really worth twice as much?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Are you having problems with the Sora? If not, I'd save your money and put it towards the new bike when you upgrade.

I have Sora on my winter bike and 105 on my bike in France. There is not a particularly noticeable difference in performance.

On my 'special' bike I have Ultegra, which is smoother, but is iot really worth twice as much?

Interesting stuff - thank you. It works well (well, I recently moved house and the rear indexing got messed up in the move, but I can fix that), I just wondered really whether the upgrade is worth it, as I have seen a couple of bikes the same as mine upgraded to 105.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The short answer is not worth it, especially as an interim measure. I've upgraded my 105 set with Ultegra over time, mainly buying second hand Ultegra stuff and upgrading as I went when they were needed. Yeah, they're really nice, bit smoother, bit lighter, but not a game changer – actually I think more than anything changing the cables and housings on my set made the biggest difference.

The biggest difference you would see is sticking that money into a set of wheels, wheels you could then use on your next bike (assuming you still have the factory supplied original wheels). Spend upward of £300 on a set of wheels and you'll feel far more upgraded difference. Keep the old wheels if you sell it or for winter. :thumbsup:

Of course, the cheapest upgrade, as [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] will tell you, is new bar tape! I've just got blue on mine and I friggin love it, bike feels better, smoother and faster due to this! :lolol:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
It's a game of opinions...

I was staggered how good my 105 5800 was when compared to my ageing sora groupset. In my experience money spent on cycling stuff is always money well spent. Oh yes, a good set of wheels would be good too. However, I could see that if you put a new groupset and wheels on your bike then you may want some new pedals, saddle, bars, frame, forks.... Oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here