Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Valley Gardens works

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Turn Waterhall into a massive car park and build a solar powered monorail to bring people from there to the seafront.

Most sensible post on here.

Since the scheme was announced a few years ago I have said this is a disaster waiting to happen without further thought.

I live in Westdene and get the 27 bus nearly every time I go into central Brighton but car if going to Hove. The bus works well for me at the moment but as soon as it hits the new Aquarium roundabout changes foresee it being b******d.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sorry I can't quite leave this alone.
This reply has been floating around my head because I can't really work it, although that might just be my lack of local knowledge.

I keep reading this and thinking all you're proposing is moving the traffic jam further up the road.
Is that right?

Moving the traffic jam is what the new road system will do except they are sending all A23 and A270/27 traffic into one lane outside St. Peters Church. I'm in the tourist industry so see couples now coming by train but for a family holiday with cases it won't work.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
MONORAIL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No monorails have a proven track record of disaster and bankruptcy.

I've always been #TeamWaterSlide, where ever they filmed that Barclaycard advert proves how successful they can be.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1035890025253294080[/tweet]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On Monday the town centre is going to be closed down for a few months (you thought a bloke throwing bricks was bad?) whilst the council upgrade Valley Gardens. Those unsure this is the area where the Lady Boys pitch their tent. I've had a hard look at the plans and, from what I can see, they are dropping four lanes of congested traffic down to two lanes to make it better.
All cars will use what is now the southbound A23 past St Peters and along Grand Parade. This will be two way. The existing northbound will become a bus lane. How on earth can turning four lanes into two make it better?
Traffic for the A27/A270 for Lewes will have to stay in the same lane as traffic queuing to get out on the A23. Has anyone from the council any idea at all about the real life?
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...sport-and-road-safety/a-vision-valley-gardens

Guess what? It's not SUPPOSED to be traffic-friendly. It's supposed to reclaim a little bit more of the town for people on foot and for people on bikes. Oh, and hopefully for people in buses. A hundred years from now, or maybe even half that, the one-person-one-car concept will be considered as anti-social as smoking in an enclosed public space.

Every little helps.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Guess what? It's not SUPPOSED to be traffic-friendly. It's supposed to reclaim a little bit more of the town for people on foot and for people on bikes. Oh, and hopefully for people in buses. A hundred years from now, or maybe even half that, the one-person-one-car concept will be considered as anti-social as smoking in an enclosed public space.

Every little helps.

Nice idea's but not much good for all the business's that rely on tourism. It seems that the anti car brigade are happy to see small business suffer so they can ride a bike.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice idea's but not much good for all the business's that rely on tourism. It seems that the anti car brigade are happy to see small business suffer so they can ride a bike.

and yet every city that has knocked back on car dependency has seen increase in tourism and profitability.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
yesterday I cycled to the Amex from Mile Oak, up and down a load of hills in Hove, Fiveways and Hollingdean ... and afterwards I was absolutely bloody knackered. It's going to be tough to convince loads more out of their cars

What [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] said about ebikes is spot on. I got smoked by one this morning as I thought I was going up a hill pretty well. The pillock had mountain bike tyres so was noisy and inefficient. Its the future.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If the council is keen to reduce car traffic it should start with providing cheap, frequent and reliable public transport.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton is a tourist town so that's never going to happen. But with parking at £30 a day surely a very good park and ride scheme is the best option, especially with bus lanes being the high priority in town. A real P&R with the cost being that they have to buy an all day bus ticket. The down side to this is that drivers will come in to town in the car, drop off the family and go out again so a family ticket has to be sorted. And with P&R there needs to be a constant stream of buses, not one every 15 minutes but every 5 minutes. Now, where can we park 1000 cars?

I guess Cardiff is lucky it's not reliant on tourism.

'Amazing' turnout at Car Free Day in Cardiff

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/live-updates-cardiff-roads-blocked-14650763

A lot of people commented on how peaceful the city centre was without traffic

It will be quicker to get to Crawley if you live in the outskirts e.g. Woodingdean.
Isn't it already, which is the whole point of the scheme.
Also there must be a better way of getting into Brighton from Woodingdean than driving

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
If the council is keen to reduce car traffic it should start with providing cheap, frequent and reliable public transport.
I never understand why people knock the bus system in Brighton, seems one of the best in the country to me. Always upgrading the buses and they run regularly. I'm a car driver but it's so much easier getting a bus around Brighton which I'd do most days of the week. Works out to less than £12 a week for a yearly pass.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I guess Cardiff is lucky it's not reliant on tourism.

'Amazing' turnout at Car Free Day in Cardiff

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/live-updates-cardiff-roads-blocked-14650763

A lot of people commented on how peaceful the city centre was without traffic

Isn't it already, which is the whole point of the scheme.
Also there must be a better way of getting into Brighton from Woodingdean than driving
I'm not starting to hang glide at my age and cheese rolling is too dangerous. More seriously if you want to cut the car traffic then improve the bus service. It is appalling to Woodingdean.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not starting to hang glide at my age and cheese rolling is too dangerous. More seriously if you want to cut the car traffic then improve the bus service. It is appalling to Woodingdean.

I'll get right on it.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
On Monday the town centre is going to be closed down for a few months (you thought a bloke throwing bricks was bad?) whilst the council upgrade Valley Gardens. Those unsure this is the area where the Lady Boys pitch their tent. I've had a hard look at the plans and, from what I can see, they are dropping four lanes of congested traffic down to two lanes to make it better.
All cars will use what is now the southbound A23 past St Peters and along Grand Parade. This will be two way. The existing northbound will become a bus lane. How on earth can turning four lanes into two make it better?
Traffic for the A27/A270 for Lewes will have to stay in the same lane as traffic queuing to get out on the A23. Has anyone from the council any idea at all about the real life?
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...sport-and-road-safety/a-vision-valley-gardens

Few months? I read somewhere(Argus poxy website me thinks!!) thats its more like 2 years!! Might be totally wrong!!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I never understand why people knock the bus system in Brighton, seems one of the best in the country to me. Always upgrading the buses and they run regularly. I'm a car driver but it's so much easier getting a bus around Brighton which I'd do most days of the week. Works out to less than £12 a week for a yearly pass.
So you travel to and fro to Woodingdean on a regular basis?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here