Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was Dunk's poor performance today...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The result of Balogun getting a voodoo curse placed upon him out of anger over being dropped after 2 near-flawless displays? I wouldn't like to rule it out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d be very pissed off if I was Balogun. I think he’s been immense and deserved to keep the shirt.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I think Dunk is overated, yes my son has just called me mad. I'm the only one in the world who thinks that apparently.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think with one game to go before International Break we could have kept Dunk resting.

Wasn't it Balogun who did the awful free kick and subsequent trap pass though which cost us against Liverpool? Dropped for that mistake?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
So that's a no then:shrug:

He really is, apparently. But being 100% professional about it, which is exactly the way we would all want it to be, surely? See his article for evidence of just exactly how well adjusted he is.....

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He really is, apparently. But being 100% professional about it, which is exactly the way we would all want it to be, surely? See his article for evidence of just exactly how well adjusted he is.....

So no voodoo curses then?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I’d be very pissed off if I was Balogun. I think he’s been immense and deserved to keep the shirt.

Think this was a poor decision especially prior to an International break, I am guessing captains prerogative etc but Balogun had really played exceptionally well

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Agree. Even before the game, which was a very poor one for Dunk’s high standards, I thought “Wow, that is a big call, Balogun is taking a harsh one there”.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hughton gambled on bringing back Dunk and it misfired. He admitted it himself in post match interviews. He said the player had only had ' a day and a bit ' training. There was no reason to drop Balogun. He and Duffy had looked comfortable together. Dunk was out of sorts from the start and had already underdone a couple of back passes before the error that cost the second goal. Dunk was slightly off the pace and it was enough to unsettle the back line. It started to affect Duffy and he had a patchy game as a result.
Gross was also poor yesterday and to my mind, a heavily strapped and under par player should not be taking a penalty. CH was questioned after the game as to who was no.1 taker now and mumbled something about there being a choice of three. Gross is not a convincing spot kick taker and although Murray misses 1 : 3-4, he fills me with much more confidence. Who the third choice is, your guess is as good as mine.
CH got two major decisions wrong and it cost us two points.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
I think some credit must go to Mitrovic who was a proper handful today for any centre half, let alone one coming back too soon after injury

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wasn't it Balogun who did the awful free kick and subsequent trap pass though which cost us against Liverpool? Dropped for that mistake?

It was Bissouma who failed to control the ball against LIverpool. It was Balogun who took the free kick but he can scarcely be blamed for passing to a Brighton player.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Let's flip the coin then. What if Bologun started and had a poor game, and Dunk was left on the bench? I bet NSC would explode and ask the question why Dunk, who has been superb for 5 years, was dropped after two decent games from the man who replaced our vice captain.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's flip the coin then. What if Bologun started and had a poor game, and Dunk was left on the bench? I bet NSC would explode and ask the question why Dunk, who has been superb for 5 years, was dropped after two decent games from the man who replaced our vice captain.

Exactamondo.
[MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION] is showing far more knowledge on this subject blaming voodoo than the 'keep the shirt' drongos.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

No. I think most of NSC were surprised that Dunk was back in after relatively little training and would have expected him to start on the bench. If Balogun hadn't performed then, at some stage Dunk would have come on. Balogun is quick and mobile and one of the reasons we frustrated Liverpool so much, was down to the speed of Balogun's recovery.
Dunk may have been superb for 5 years but he wasn't ready to come back yesterday. Hughton made a mistake and it cost us. Dunk will get up to speed but the Duffy/Balogun combo should have been left to start together. Balogun coped with Lukaku's physicality and would have managed Mitrovic as well. We knew Fulham would come at us, with pace. The last thing we needed was an out of sorts centre back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here