Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry, not Solly bashing, but it really wouldn’t be difficult.

Solly is a winger for me and on form better than Izquierdo who other than the odd cameo is offering nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right. (My question was genuine, not rhetorical). March is struggling in his make-do position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you're right. (My question was genuine, not rhetorical). March is struggling in his make-do position.

He was only on the pitch for half an hour today, 1 assist and 1 glorious cross that would have resulted in a 2nd goal had our striker not being distracted by the announced of an OAP Special Discount at half-time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He was only on the pitch for half an hour today, 1 assist and 1 glorious cross that would have resulted in a 2nd goal had our striker not being distracted by the announced of an OAP Special Discount at half-time.

At his best when playing out wide as we saw, I'm not saying that March should be dropped. Just discussing the possibility, with little knowledge of Andone, whether he'd be decent in the Gross role.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Discussion in the pub while watching and immedaitely after:

Why the **** are we playing 4-4-1-1 (or maybe 4-2-3-1) when Gross is injured when it only suits Gross. Four Four ****ing Two. Murray and Andone. We may concede an odd goal more but our entire gameplan defensively is based around Dunk or Duffy or Ryan blocking it and the fullbacks creating a break from the second ball. March is more lost at "number 10" than a blind man at a maze convention.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Why the **** are we playing 4-4-1-1 (or maybe 4-2-3-1) when Gross is injured when it only suits Gross. Four Four ****ing Two. Murray and Andone. We may concede an odd goal more but our entire gameplan defensively is based around Dunk or Duffy or Ryan blocking it and the fullbacks creating a break from the second ball. March is more lost at "number 10" than a blind man at a maze convention.

Good post, spot on with that last sentence. Solly at 24 is unlikely to learn an alien role, especially in the middle of PL matches.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good post, spot on with that last sentence. Solly at 24 is unlikely to learn an alien role, especially in the middle of PL matches.

Solly is a better defender than Izquierdo too. I wonder with hindsight whether CH thinks he should have taken Izquierdo off after the red card and restored march to the left?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Solly is a better defender than Izquierdo too. I wonder with hindsight whether CH thinks he should have taken Izquierdo off after the red card and restored march to the left?

That would have killed stone dead any chance of going for the win. I took Paddy Power up on their generous 6/1 offer on us at half time on the basis that Cardiff looked rubbish and we might have scored on the break or from a set piece created from a break. If that change had been made we'd have been about 20/1. And I'd still have lost a quid.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
At his best when playing out wide as we saw, I'm not saying that March should be dropped. Just discussing the possibility, with little knowledge of Andone, whether he'd be decent in the Gross role.

I think you are right he would be a better fit. Solly did create the goal but he is not physical enough when we need to switch to 5 in midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Never been to one of these..are they any good?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes. I guess the thinking was to defend then hit them on the break with Andone and Izquierdo's pace.....we managed it once but their goalie made a good save.

In hindsight March on the left helping out Bongy would have made us more solid.

Still never mind, we'll just have to do better next time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should have taken Murray off for all the good he is when the rest of the side is forced back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Should have taken Murray off for all the good he is when the rest of the side is forced back.

I've only ever seen one centre forward who could successfully battle an entire back line on his own for 90 minutes, where his 9 outfield colleagues are sitting back 40 yards away. That was Didier Drogba.

A hapless task for anyone else.

Cardiff were able to have various giants roughing Murray off the ball today, with a couple waiting in front of Murray to collect the resulting bits and pieces.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've only ever seen one centre forward who could successfully battle an entire back line on his own for 90 minutes, where his 9 outfield colleagues are sitting back 40 yards away. That was Didier Drogba.

A hapless task for anyone else.

Cardiff were able to have various giants roughing Murray off the ball today, with a couple waiting in front of Murray to collect the resulting bits and pieces.

Exactly, so the team needed someone who could drop off their back line and either attack them head on or in a foot race over the top.

If only there was a player like that on the bench...

...oh wait there was, we just had to wait half an hour before that threat was allowed onto the pitch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly, so the team needed someone who could drop off their back line and either attack them head on or in a foot race over the top.

If only there was a player like that on the bench...

...oh wait there was, we just had to wait half an hour before that threat was allowed onto the pitch.

Andone, that's a tall ask from the off, plus when teams do not have a genuine no.9, there's then no outball ever.

I don't know what your overall take on the entire game is, but I think we limited a Stoke-style team with home advantage to a poor performance. Just two minutes later with a 1-1 result, Alan Smith and all the media hindsight experts would have said, as they said throughout, that Cardiff weren't at the races and had failed to win one of their key home games.

With the Albion pushed back for 90 minutes with Andone playing deeper too, it would've been music to the ears of rugby coach Warnock.

Murray was the least worst option.

(I agree with your older posts in general, that the club have never cracked the quality striker buying issue),

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Just my frustrated thoughts but !

Glenn Murray has been fantastic for us and will,I am sure, continue to be for some time to come.
However, it must surely be time to think about turning the status quo on it's ar-e and starting Andone, with his energy and apparent enthusiasm with GM coming on to perform that cameo role when something different and special is required. Chris Hughton surely cannot continue to rely on a moment of brilliance from GM, which reasonably will happen on an ever decreasing basis.
If the club spends £ms on a player, what does it take to introduce that player on a regular basis - I hope that the answer is not as that player begins to run down his contract !
I thought that Andone was more than encouraging when he came on as he showed determination and enthusiasm which, in some areas, has been sadly lacking.
I'll get my coat !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here