Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We have got a manager here now who is as good if not better than both of (Poyet + Oscar)"

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wow! You people need to get a grip.

This is just what always happens at every club in 'crisis'. Talk of thought police, North Korea, Nazi Germany is patently absurd.
[MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] working in the media yourself you would think you would know how this shit works. Of course the club are going to put up the club captain to say something like this. Of course the local paper will print it. The Argus needs back pages, the club needs some good press. How any of you can get so worked up about this article is beyond me, remember it wasn't the club that said this would change your mind about Hyypia, it was Naylor. Who has succeeded in his job by click baiting us all in to looking up this article

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
4) He's club captain, realises there isn't going to be a change, and is trying to get support behind the manager and team - as any club captain should.

To say he's been forced is utterly ridiculous. He might not privately believe it, but as captain you're looking to do whatever you can to help your team, and right now, with Hyypia staying and the atmosphere getting toxic, he has to try to be positive and supportive.

Quite why people HAVE to be so conspiratorial – makes you wonder whether it's just to serve their own agenda (or sell their own articles….).

If he truly does not believe it why say anything at all "Sorry Mr Naylor I have no comment"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And you are?

Exactly faceless keyboard warrior, if you that opinionated and want to take issue, Boxing Day West Stand Corporate Box Number 3, got my name outside so don't worry about knocking come straight in.

Tell you what, you come round to the Family Stand, I'll be on the concourse by E1B, I'll actually buy you a Harvey's and tell you why I think going to extent of questioning our club captain's integrity and comparing the regime to Nazi Germany is out of order, especially from your position as a journalist.

You can make your issues about how the club is run which is actually fine by me, and I've not bothered with your posts until this point and do read your articles and respect your long association with the Albion, but to start running players and the captain down as well is just out of order especially with the rhetoric you're choosing to use.

I will actually apologise for my choice of language, but not for the point I was making.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The club have backed Sami so it really is the job of the Captain to tow the party line. Greer is just being professional. The real news is that he won't return for another few weeks as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If he truly does not believe it why say anything at all "Sorry Mr Naylor I have no comment"

Really? He is club captain. He cannot really say anything else, the sooner you stop paying attention to any of the bs that comes out of footballers mouths, the better. They have all been media trained to basically come out with platitudes and tow the party line. They are never going to say 'Nah, this guy is a terrible manager' as it will affect how other clubs think of them as a player and therefore their future value and earning potential.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If I was captain after experiencing the atmosphere at that last game, I think I'd feel like someone from the playing side needed to back the manager. I think any captain worth his salt would be looking to galvanise a bit of support around the team, even if privately he doesn't fully believe it.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Wow! You people need to get a grip.

This is just what always happens at every club in 'crisis'. Talk of thought police, North Korea, Nazi Germany is patently absurd.

[MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] working in the media yourself you would think you would know how this shit works. Of course the club are going to put up the club captain to say something like this. Of course the local paper will print it. The Argus needs back pages, the club needs some good press. How any of you can get so worked up about this article is beyond me, remember it wasn't the club that said this would change your mind about Hyypia, it was Naylor. Who has succeeded in his job by click baiting us all in to looking up this article

To be fair, I think most of us aren't taking it that seriously at all. We know how this works, to take it with a pinch of salt & there's a bit of gallows humour going on (apart from a bizarre flashpoint or two). The North Korea comment was mine, it's not serious (although not entirely inaccurate, I feel), just an off the cuff, tongue in cheek observation

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I certainly felt that he was a good dynamic choice in the first instance, I am sure most of us did,..... but we are in a precarious position, the club could seriously enter a phase of economic struggles if we continue to flounder down in the lower reaches of this division, or in fact we slip into L1. Action is required to change this situation, and although I hate to say it, we need an experienced 'club saver',.... a Pulis type to drag us up the table.

I wish it wasn't so, Hypia is a decent bloke it seems, just not currently capable of changing tack.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
So reading that article with no other assumptions it is saying that it is the players that have been woeful and not the manager, if this is the case then we should really be calling for the players to be sacked as the performances and results are no even close to comparable to the last 2 managers.

Trying (not easy) to put a positive spin on this we know Sami is poor but the players have not helped in this fiasco maybe, just maybe they have woken up and realise they need to put in more than the 75% effort they have so far, we shall see tomorrow how much they improve and play for the manager.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Really? He is club captain. He cannot really say anything else, the sooner you stop paying attention to any of the bs that comes out of footballers mouths, the better. They have all been media trained to basically come out with platitudes and tow the party line. They are never going to say 'Nah, this guy is a terrible manager' as it will affect how other clubs think of them as a player and therefore their future value and earning potential.

I couldn't agree more a captains duty to try and help morale and do what he can to get the fans to support the team, but to come out with something so utterly ridiculous as he is a better manager than the two previous managers is an insult to those two guys and to the intelligence of the fans he is trying to unite.

Last edited:

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
So reading that article with no other assumptions it is saying that it is the players that have been woeful and not the manager, if this is the case then we should really be calling for the players to be sacked as the performances and results are no even close to comparable to the last 2 managers.

Trying (not easy) to put a positive spin on this we know Sami is poor but the players have not helped in this fiasco maybe, just maybe they have woken up and realise they need to put in more than the 75% effort they have so far, we shall see tomorrow how much they improve and play for the manager.

What I cannot understand is that the club do not understand the reverse logic they need to apply if they are conceding that a) recruitment has let Sami down and b) the players have not performed. What Burkes they are...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
****ing ridiculous. You are judged on results. Sami is a complete and utter **** up.

Very surprised its a player - not because they want to stick up for the gaffer , after all it's good they do because most of us still want a win at Wolves and the players have to stay 100% positive.

More surprised at the implied insult to Gus and Oscar, particularly to the man who plucked him from Swindon and gave him an international career.

But again I guess Gus will realise this is throwing a lifebelt to a drowning man so won't be that fussed - and neither should we be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bigger and bigger wedge being driven between the club and the fans as each week passes. It really has all gone to pot very very quickly

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I couldn't agree more a captains duty to try and help morale and do what he can to get the fans to support the team, but to come out with something so utterly ridiculous as he is a better manager than the two previous managers is an insult to those two guys and to the intelligence of the fans he is trying to unite.
But results aside we don't know how the 3 men compared doing their jobs.

Maybe GG didn't enjoy the daily floggings like a pit pony (if that is to be believed).
Therefore in GG's eyes Sami is the better man.

Maybe GG didn't enjoy the daily hissy fits.
Therefore Sami is the better man.

Sami as a player is likely to have been idolised by GG.
Therefore Sami is the better man.

To my knowledge nobody asked GG if his character assessment was solely based on wins.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
To be fair, I think most of us aren't taking it that seriously at all. We know how this works, to take it with a pinch of salt & there's a bit of gallows humour going on (apart from a bizarre flashpoint or two). The North Korea comment was mine, it's not serious (although not entirely inaccurate, I feel), just an off the cuff, tongue in cheek observation

Fair enough. I suppose it is just the amount of people reacting this way that makes it seem so extreme.

I guess we are all just a bit grumpy when our football team is doing badly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here