Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spurs v Gus Poyet Sunderland (hit the ceiling in 20th spot)

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
"To me he looks like a player who is good for a top tier Championship club but not quite up to Premier League standard.

Doesn't really **** up often, but is anonymous in more difficult games. Drops too deep and not physically imposing enough for a defensive midfielder."

Sounds about right.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
So he hasn't really made a difference as things stand then?

Had to laugh at this quote before the game tonight

Poyet refused to take the blame for inheriting a team which has one point from seven games in October and said: “I hate excuses, but I’ve got a lot of them. I’ve got a list. If I gave you everything that happened, mamma mia I’ve got excuses. I just want us to stay up.

“Best excuse? No. I cannot say. I’m not allowed to say.”
Apart from the first final since '92 which is was a one off and can never be taken away from memories - as a yoyo club P&R is soon forgotten

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
His league average will be about 1 point a game after this tie. Enough to save you from the drop most seasons.

The cardinal sin being beating the top teams, but losing to their rivals.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From the few games I've seen (what is this, his 6th appearance) Liam's settled in pretty well. Personally, I'd say his team mates don't trust him with the ball enough yet and aren't pressing space in unison. Cattermole is also a big issue, he thinks he should be the big boss man in midfield, but frankly he hasn't got the quality (good finish though).

The mackems don't realise what a good player they've got yet. 6 games isn't much of a time to give a player a chance is it, especially one that was injured for the first 5 months of the season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from the first final since '92 which is was a one off and can never be taken away from memories - as a yoyo club P&R is soon forgotten

Not really the point though is it? He has had nearly a season to make a difference and it was his impatience to get to the Premier league that has been his downfall IMO. He obviously isn't ready when you look at the likes of dinosaur Pulis who has worked a miracle.

Maybe he will learn to be a bit more humble should you go down.

I find it hard to believe you can just brush under the carpet the disappointment of being relegated because you got to a cup final. I certainly didn't feel like that when we lost the FA Cup final and got relegated.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sunderland really are poor.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
His league average will be about 1 point a game after this tie. Enough to save you from the drop most seasons.

The cardinal sin being beating the top teams, but losing to their rivals.

Think they have lost or drawn against most of the bottom sides, they look clueless.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Steve Claridge, BBC Radio 5 live, White Hart Lane
"Gus Poyet has got to change the shape and personnel. He needs to get someone on who can keep the ball and put some concerted pressure on that Spurs goal because at the moment they don't have anyone doing that and they're going to lose this game."

Time to bring Kaz on if he had him?!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Eriksen is some player, at the heart of everything good Spurs do.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well left by Phil Bardsley. Only Liam pressing the ball, the rest of them stand off the ball, terrible defending.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Not really the point though is it? He has had nearly a season to make a difference and it was his impatience to get to the Premier league that has been his downfall IMO. He obviously isn't ready when you looks at the likes of dinosaur Pulis who has worked a miracle.

Maybe he will learn to be a bit more humble should you go down.

I dont think he will stay but I hope he does, without wanting to get in to my Dad is bigger than yours the budget at Sunderland should be alot higher next season than the one he had at Brighton so should have a chance, also on the Bridcutt point he will have a chance next year to play with some journeymen and youngsters who have played at the top level.

It is the point though, as a football fan what will you remember or tell the kids, o that season we scrapped staying in the league, or the first final in a generation that you were at and was extremely emotional

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
No point having games in hand if you don't win and Sunderland haven't done enough for Poyet to jump ship to another Prem job, looks like he will be back in the Championship if he wants to manage

Your right as Sunderland will not win another game this year

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I dont think he will stay but I hope he does, without wanting to get in to my Dad is bigger than yours the budget at Sunderland should be alot higher next season than the one he had at Brighton so should have a chance, also on the Bridcutt point he will have a chance next year to play with some journeymen and youngsters who have played at the top level.

It is the point though, as a football fan what will you remember or tell the kids, o that season we scrapped staying in the league, or the first final in a generation that you were at and was extremely emotional

He may well stay, he'll probably want to stay because there is unlikely to be a queue of clubs bigger than Sunderland looking to prise him away and he'll look a fool if he tries to big himself up like he did last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here