Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

State pension age increased to 68 from 2037....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good, stick on 67 for me

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ah ffs keep gambling

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Ah apologies its 2039 - so people born between April 70 and april 78 will be affected. Tossers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Inevitable, I suppose, but I don't envy those who 'have ' to work so long.
Those who are able, and have a mind to stash away dosh into a private pension, do have a fighting chance to pack up earlier or just work part-time until collecting the State Pension.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're pissed off ?? I was born on 6th April 1970 - if I'd bothered to turn up a few hours earlier I'd have one year less work to have to do !

Mr birthday's on the 6th too [emoji2]

1968 though, just made it......

Edit - thought I'd share that riveting fact! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh joy, the rate they're increasing it i'll be DEAD before I get to retire. :angry:

Unfortunately I think it is their intention - the more die before pensionable age, the less money they have to put by to fund state pensions, or at least minimise it.
Some of the scenarios and discrepencies coming out of recent changes seem arbitrary and unfair. The irony is that it impacts less on a lot of public sector workers who, in general, have generous "company pensions" that can be taken early without too much of a discount. Those on lower wages tend to be those without an additional pension because they cannot afford them - and they get impacted even more. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Very slightly more, I think.

Basically if you're relying on that you'll live your old age in poverty.

Stash as much as you can afford into a private plan and have a few investments if you can afford to spread things around a bit,

Depends if you've paid of your mortgage etc. before then doesn't it (if you're lucky enough to have been able to buy a house)? £690 / month is more than a lot of working people have after mortgage/rent is taken off.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Depends if you've paid of your mortgage etc. before then doesn't it (if you're lucky enough to have been able to buy a house)? £690 / month is more than a lot of working people have after mortgage/rent is taken off.

I hear you, but with home ownership declining and the rental market booming how many of our generation will achieve mortgage free status?

I guess what I was pointing out is the difference between enjoying retirement and surviving it.

Start saving, kids!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

True.

And multiple it by two for a retired couple, and there are millions who can only dream of having that sort of income after their mortgage payments.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Fk that bollox i'm going to take my pots now and actually enjoy my autumn years before i'm stuck in a home for the insanely lacking in loyalty points and they spend my pots for me on adult pull up pampers .

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I hear you, but with home ownership declining and the rental market booming how many of our generation will achieve mortgage free status?

I guess what I was pointing out is the difference between enjoying retirement and surviving it.

Start saving, kids!

The auto-enrolment a few years ago was a REAL blessing for me.

I was properly penny pinching before, hence I didn't sign up to the scheme. It was only due to the auto-enrolment that I joined as it made me realise how silly I was being.

I will never be rolling in it in retirement, but it will be lovely to, as you say, enjoy it.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Known for years now that the Government (of any persuasion)will not give Me so much as a kiss my ring.
By the time I get my state pension I would have been paying into the system for 53 years.
Meanwhile there is someone out there in this world who hasn't even landed on these shores yet that will be handed hundreds of thousands without even paying in a single penny.happy days.
Come one,come all,come fill yer boots.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

and don't forget if you are a couple, you each get that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here