Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Only the one with cheese in.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
American Slaw..........Same as regular apart from the addition of red cabbage and dijon mustard, improves it no end.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We had a BBQ last weekend, the wench made some up, and she put some sultanas in it. Game changer. Had a lovely sweet after taste. I suggest you try it. Always home made too as I'm dairy free so can make it without the yogurt.

Is there usually yoghurt in shop-bought coleslaw?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Is there usually yoghurt in shop-bought coleslaw?

Yes, a typical one would be:

Combine the onion, carrot, and white cabbage in a large mixing bowl, and mix well to combine.
Whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice in another mixing bowl; season well. Add to the vegetables and mix well to combine.
Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with a grind of black pepper and the chopped chives

Tesco one:

Ingredients:
Cabbage (47%), Mayonnaise, Carrot, Double Cream (Milk) (2%), Onion, Mayonnaise contains: Rapeseed Oil, Water, Sugar, Pasteurised Egg Yolk, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Stabilisers (Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Pectin), Mustard Seed

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes, a typical one would be:

Combine the onion, carrot, and white cabbage in a large mixing bowl, and mix well to combine.
Whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice in another mixing bowl; season well. Add to the vegetables and mix well to combine.
Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with a grind of black pepper and the chopped chives

Tesco one:

Ingredients:
Cabbage (47%), Mayonnaise, Carrot, Double Cream (Milk) (2%), Onion, Mayonnaise contains: Rapeseed Oil, Water, Sugar, Pasteurised Egg Yolk, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Stabilisers (Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Pectin), Mustard Seed

So no yoghurt in the shop-bought one then but double cream.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I love it. How about a chilli con carne on a bed of coleslaw instead of rice? mmmmmmm!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Homemade given the choice, followed by Tesco's finest a close 2nd

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The name 'kool sla' is orignally Dutch, but modern coleslaw as we understand it (with mayo) is American, possibly created by Dutch immigrants (or possibly not, no one actually knows).

For the record, Dutch supermarkets sell it as "Amerikaanse Coleslaw"...

Much like the origins of most foodstuffs, lost in history.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It depends how it's made. Cheap coleslaw is nasty. But with a little effort and some subtle flavourings, coleslaw can transform from a simple side-salad, to something all the more delicious.
So if purchasing, which options are best?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here