Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last minute city breaks

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I concur with most of what has already been said but another to recommend is Ljubljana. Great city and do a day trip to Lake Bled which is stunning.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I concur with most of what has already been said but another to recommend is Ljubljana. Great city and do a day trip to Lake Bled which is stunning.

+1 to this....stunning city and Lake Bled is amazing.

I love Amsterdam though as well for a weekend break, load of cultural stuff to do there and obv good nightlife if u want it too!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
If you fly to Split which has already been mentioned the airport is actually closer to a place called Trogir than it is to Split itself . Brilliant place old walled city which is also a little island. it has no cars loads bars restaurants and squares to wander around. Its a unesco heritage site. if you want the beach just walk over the bridge to the mainland or another island on the other side and bingo . Croatia is pretty cheap too.

Where I live now I wont be able to go to Croatia again . Apart from the albion and mates holidays to Croatia are a thing ill miss

imagesU79MFTNL.jpg

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Bologna. Great food. Nice town. Airport 10km from centre of the old town. Not many tourists but English widely understood as it's a big (and old) university town.
The free open air cinema festival may even be on now...
What's not to like?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'd second the Berlin recommendation - so much history, relatively cheap, cool vibe, most people speak English (if that's important). Also, we went to Lyon in April - great city, and relatively easy to get to (via Eurostar).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One of the best European city breaks we've had in recent years was Belfast, well worth a visit IMHO.

Seconded. Only came back from a 4 night break in Belfast on Monday. So much to see and do. The Titanic Museum of course. Hop on hop off open top bus around the city taking in all the sights. A walking tour of the Shankill and Falls Roads where the troubles started. Crumlin Road Jail, Botanic Gardens and the Ulster Museum. The list goes on and on.

In fact we left a lot undone, even though we were there for 4 full nights. Just outside the city there is plenty on offer too. The Giants Causeway is ony about a ninety minute drive away along the beautiful Antrim Coast. Various castles, and the Bushmills Distillery are close by, and the locals are all very friendly too!

You won't come away disappointed thats for sure.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I love Amsterdam though as well for a weekend break, load of cultural stuff to do there and obv good nightlife if u want it too!

No point in coming to Amsterdam this weekend - the weather's shit at the moment.

Also practically impossible to find a good deal on hotels at short notice. They tend to fill up months in advance (or the good places do at any rate).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You'd be mad to come to Seville for a weekend at this time of year.

What gives?

I did exactly that in July 2014. It was 35-37 degrees all weekend. Managed to survive somehow. The old town had narrow streets with tallish buildings so were in the shade for much of the day. Highly recommend the Hotel San Gil which has marble floors, air-conned rooms, a lovely shaded courtyard with orange trees. Oh, and a rooftop pool :cool:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What gives?

I did exactly that in July 2014. It was 35-37 degrees all weekend. Managed to survive somehow. The old town had narrow streets with tallish buildings so were in the shade for much of the day. Highly recommend the Hotel San Gil which has marble floors, air-conned rooms, a lovely shaded courtyard with orange trees. Oh, and a rooftop pool :cool:

A pool and air-con without the prospect of a whopping electric bill certainly make it bearable.

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Bilbao, great food, bars, not difficult to get a football ticket. Friendly people, entirely safe and walkable, plus the Guggenheim ,. Cheap flights from Gatwick a bonus.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just on a Norwegian flight somewhere over Germany have had a great few days in Split Croatia highly recommend if you like loads of History, nice and very classy people, great well priced food and drink loads of youngsters lots of night club if you like that no drunks all good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here