Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PL Ignorance of FFP

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Just listening to a QPR fan on Talksport explaining that QPR got 'hammered' when relegated for alleged FFP breaches in their promotion season.

"Really?" said the programme host. "Aren't there ways round that?"

Astounding!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Did they get hammered? I thought it was all covered up and generally forgotten about.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, they got completely dicked:

Queens Park Rangers are set to avoid a crippling fine from the Football League that relates to the club exceeding financial fair play rules in 2013-14, with the punishment expected to be around a more manageable £8m.

The Championship club’s figures for the period in question, which was their promotion season back into the Premier League, showed losses of £9.8m, although the chairman, Tony Fernandes, and the other shareholders wrote off a further £60m in loans. The manner in which they did so raised questions and they have been at the heart of the FFP discussions between the club and the Football League.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/18/qpr-fine-financial-fair-play-8m

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, they got completely dicked:

Queens Park Rangers are set to avoid a crippling fine from the Football League that relates to the club exceeding financial fair play rules in 2013-14, with the punishment expected to be around a more manageable £8m.

The Championship club’s figures for the period in question, which was their promotion season back into the Premier League, showed losses of £9.8m, although the chairman, Tony Fernandes, and the other shareholders wrote off a further £60m in loans. The manner in which they did so raised questions and they have been at the heart of the FFP discussions between the club and the Football League.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/18/qpr-fine-financial-fair-play-8m
This is what I thought happened. Hardly 'hammered'.

I was just amazed that the hosts seemed completely unaware of the financial restrictions on clubs in the FL.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just listening to a QPR fan on Talksport explaining that QPR got 'hammered' when relegated for alleged FFP breaches in their promotion season.

"Really?" said the programme host. "Aren't there ways round that?"

Astounding!

First I'm stunned that QPR have a fan, and secondly most clubs who have broken rules under the FFP, usually squirm out of it, as they have deep pockets!!

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I thought Bournemouth had paid their fine?

Bournemouth paid their fine immediately after receiving it. It was even itemised in their accounts. The other clubs hit by sanctions have also accepted it (Forest off the top of my head, there's a couple others too).

Only QPR have dragged their heels through the courts.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
It amazes me that the media conveniently ignore cheating by clubs when waxing lyrical about their achievements.

QPR, Bournemouth and Leicester all won the Championship by flouting FFP rules, yet the media gloss over inconvenient facts that get in the way of a good story. Leicester had recently been in administration, too, so one might say that they cheated twice.

Then there is Newcastle United. If they are found to have cheated the taxman, we will be able to add them to the list of clubs who have won the Championship (or otherwise been promoted to the Premier League) by improper means.

We missed out on the title (and I for one am still annoyed about that), but at least we gained automatic promotion without recourse to flouting FFP or administration or tax evasion.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It amazes me that the media conveniently ignore cheating by clubs when waxing lyrical about their achievements.

QPR, Bournemouth and Leicester all won the Championship by flouting FFP rules, yet the media gloss over inconvenient facts that get in the way of a good story. Leicester had recently been in administration, too, so one might say that they cheated twice.

Then there is Newcastle United. If they are found to have cheated the taxman, we will be able to add them to the list of clubs who have won the Championship (or otherwise been promoted to the Premier League) by improper means.

We missed out on the title (and I for one am still annoyed about that), but at least we gained automatic promotion without recourse to flouting FFP or administration or tax evasion.

Is it cheating if you accept your punishment? What about year one of FFP when there were no punishments and virtually all clubs ignored it?

Newcastle (and West Ham) are almost certainly to be being used as test cases and I'd be very surprised if there aren't 42 other clubs in the top two divisions quietly shitting themselves and hoping that the taxman doesn't look too deeply at image rights payments made to their players.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is it cheating if you accept your punishment? .

Is it really much of a punishment to have to pay a small fine while reaping the rewards of PL money - different to those who stayed down ,eg Forest who had their transfer embargo.

If you cheat in an exam (and caught) you lose the pass mark, will FFP cheaters lose promotion, of course not

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Is it cheating if you accept your punishment? What about year one of FFP when there were no punishments and virtually all clubs ignored it?

Newcastle (and West Ham) are almost certainly to be being used as test cases and I'd be very surprised if there aren't 42 other clubs in the top two divisions quietly shitting themselves and hoping that the taxman doesn't look too deeply at image rights payments made to their players.
All football is cheating then as Chelsea & Man City are prime examples of paying money that is put into the club by rich owners. I don't see the issue with spending money if it is done correctly. e.g. not like QPR

For us (Bournemouth) overspending on wages in the championship like many others was money well spent to get us into the top money league. The FA or PL don't care really as long as they are making money the whole system is corrupt anyway.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Is it really much of a punishment to have to pay a small fine while reaping the rewards of PL money - different to those who stayed down ,eg Forest who had their transfer embargo.

If you cheat in an exam (and caught) you lose the pass mark, will FFP cheaters lose promotion, of course not

It is football league clubs who decided on the punishments, I don't think you can blame clubs for looking at the punishments and thinking it is worth the risk.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All football is cheating then as Chelsea & Man City are prime examples of paying money that is put into the club by rich owners. I don't see the issue with spending money if it is done correctly. e.g. not like QPR

For us (Bournemouth) overspending on wages in the championship like many others was money well spent to get us into the top money league. The FA or PL don't care really as long as they are making money the whole system is corrupt anyway.

QPR did what Bournemouth did - spent more than they should have done under the rules. If it is ok for you to do it, why is it not ok for QPR to do it? Leicester did it too of course and they ended up as PL Champions!

I am hoping that the fact that Bournemouth paid up without quibbling has set a precedent for the court to take into account. Somehow I doubt it though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well the point of FFP is not to stop clubs spending huge amounts of money or to get into the PL, or 'cheating', if you want to put it that way, it's to stop clubs going bust. We've seen too many clubs virtually go to the wall because of overspending and these FFP rules are designed to save supporters from badly-mismanaging owners. We should all support FFP because it could be our club next.

Unfortunately it just seems to be becoming another stick to beat rivals and competitors with.. "You've cheated FFP, you're Cheats!"..."Well we're spending correctly, not like the other lot, its shouldn't apply to us, our chairman's a good guy, a lifetime fan" and so on and so on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here