Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Reading *** Official Match Thread ***

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
cf: Norwich played the 10 reserves away at Everton (with five reserves) and won 0-2.

No they didn't:

1RuddyBooked at 57mins
2Whittaker
24Bennett
6Bassong
12Brady
34Thompson
18MulumbuBooked at 50minsSubstituted forGodfreyat 90+4'minutes
31Murphy
7Naismith
21PritchardSubstituted forTurnerat 89'minutes
9Castro OliveiraSubstituted forLaffertyat 45'minutesBooked at 86mins

theroyal

May 11, 2014
From the little I know, our side on paper was better than yours. Yet you won, playing with 10 men for 50 minutes, and deserved to win. There were a fair few players starting for us tonight that had an opportunity to demand a starting place in the Championship, but fluffed their lines. They were little better than the stadium announcer, who had one thing to do, and got that wrong. The bigger problem is that those that came on to 'turn the match round', fluffed their lines too.

Well, for what it's worth, we did the exact same thing to Barnsley at the weekend, having a player sent off after going ahead and holding out for over half the match (an hour at Barnsley) to just about win the game after a late siege. I guess we are good at it, lol. Our second goal at Barnsley was a peach from Swift after he should've been closed down too. Spooky.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, for what it's worth, we did the exact same thing to Barnsley at the weekend, having a player sent off after going ahead and holding out for over half the match (an hour at Barnsley) to just about win the game after a late siege. I guess we are good at it, lol. Our second goal at Barnsley was a peach from Swift after he should've been closed down too. Spooky.

I think I saw Swift play for England u-21 about a year ago at The Amex and being most unimpressed, thought he was a show pony that held on to the ball for too long. From the little I've seen him with you this season, I've revised my view, and may have to revise it further.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I think I saw Swift play for England u-21 about a year ago at The Amex and being most unimpressed, thought he was a show pony that held on to the ball for too long. From the little I've seen him with you this season, I've revised my view, and may have to revise it further.

He's been a revelation for us. and he'll be off in January no doubt...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just on the train back from the game, not overly concerned about the result to be honest, what I am concerned about is the following:

- What has happened to Glenn Murray? He's a shadow of himself the past few weeks.

- Sam Baldock, terrible this evening, MOM? Not in a million years.

I'm genuinely concerned that not one player stood out tonight and said to CH 'I deserve to be in the starting 11' seriously we were terrible.

If Kayal or Stephens get injured we are seriously screwed, Sidwell, Ince and Norwood were shambolic tonight.

People will say 'it doesn't matter, it's only the cup' but I'm afraid it does matter, too many fringe players showed tonight we simply don't have the depth of squad that is needed in The Championship IMO.

This.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's probably you guys having a look :D

How strong was your side today, was it reserves?
Only Murray and possibly Goldson could be said to be First XI.

The rest of the starting XI were 2nd string.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
That's just boringly predictable losers bull and simply not true. As if Stam sat down pre match with Readings owner and decided to give the Championship a miss this season and 'concentrate on the League Cup instead? They won. With 10 men. Away from home. With a second fiddle side too. It's embarrassing. And does matter when we play a club such as Reading
Spot on. Awful result, and from what I've read a performance to match. Real opportunity to progress in a competition thrown away. Are we really saying that these highly trained and conditioned athletes can't put on 2 90 minute performances in a week ? Could have steamrollered this lot, a good confidence booster. Let's face it we've hardly set the league on fire so far. Great effort to those who went. I think you've all been short changed

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No they didn't:

1RuddyBooked at 57mins
2Whittaker
24Bennett
6Bassong
12Brady
34Thompson
18MulumbuBooked at 50minsSubstituted forGodfreyat 90+4'minutes
31Murphy
7Naismith
21PritchardSubstituted forTurnerat 89'minutes
9Castro OliveiraSubstituted forLaffertyat 45'minutesBooked at 86mins

I read the BBC Report which said only Brady was a first teamer and they made 10 changes. And from that team they seem to have done depending on what J Murphy played?

The Dutchman made six changes to the team that beat Middlesbrough 3-1 at the weekend to take the Toffees up to second in the Premier League, but his starting XI still had plenty of ability and experience.

Only Robbie Brady remained from the Norwich team that beat Nottingham Forest at the weekend, and they were forced on the back foot for much of the game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One thing can we be sure off, if we had drawn a big club in the next round it will have a detrimental effect on the promotion challenge and League results. It has every single time for other clubs and us in 77-78 and 82-83.

To me it looks like the clubs we have to beware of are Norwich and Newcastle.

And we have to watch Derby (despite their poor start), Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.

No first choice players got booked. Just Skalak, Norwood and Sidwell.

If we beat Barnsley, this match will be forgotten.

Best team:

Brighton & Hove Albion

Stockdale
Bruno Duffy/Goldson Dunk Bong/Rosenoir
Knockaert Stephens Kayal Lualua/March
???
Murray/Hemed​

I would tend to put Rosenior on the right midfield and play Knockaert behind the main striker in a 4-4-1-1​

I don't think we are as strong as our rivals, but as Burnley proved last season it is beating the dross teams that will get us the points.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
One thing can we be sure off, if we had drawn a big club in the next round it will have a detrimental effect on the promotion challenge and League results. It has every single time for other clubs and us in 77-78 and 82-83.

To me it looks like the clubs we have to beware of are Norwich and Newcastle.

And we have to watch Derby (despite their poor start), Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.

No first choice players got booked. Just Skalak, Norwood and Sidwell.

If we beat Barnsley, this match will be forgotten.

Best team:

Brighton & Hove Albion

Stockdale
Bruno Duffy/Goldson Dunk Bong/Rosenoir
Knockaert Stephens Kayal Lualua/March
???
Murray/Hemed​

I would tend to put Rosenior on the right midfield and play Knockaert behind the main striker in a 4-4-1-1​

I don't think we are as strong as our rivals, but as Burnley proved last season it is beating the dross teams that will get us the points.

Rosenior is out for months though right?

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Reading *** Official Match Thread ***

You're too kind, and decent analysis of the game too. Norwood really hasn't done much here. I really like the way that he strokes the ball around, but it's all from so deep, and devoid of ambition. He doesn't seem terribly mobile either, and have been unimpressed thus far with his set-pieces. Can you offer a few shards of light?

Think he raises his game when playing with a couple of decent attacking midfielders/full backs. They sort of drag him out of the pass it around in your own half game. He's a quality skilful player and I actually think at his best from the dead ball. Has a 30 yard thunderbolt from open play in the locker too. Quite a few assists for us (think the most in the team,) not many goals though. Was sad to see him go tbh, was an integral part of our team last season and by all accounts Stam was expecting him to be there this season too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gives Reading fans something more to be smug about.

Smug club, smug fans managed in the past by smug Alan and smug Nigel. All they need is smug Eddie for the set.

Let's beat them in the league later in the year when the 3 points will matter a lot :rock:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Although the result in isolation doesn't matter at all the fact that we played our all our first string strikers who failed to spark yet again is a worry to me, six seasons of not having enough quality up front is starting to grate.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Although the result in isolation doesn't matter at all the fact that we played our all our first string strikers who failed to spark yet again is a worry to me, six seasons of not having enough quality up front is starting to grate.

It is becoming ever more clear to me that there is a tendency at the club not to invest in strikers. I wish I knew what was behind this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here