Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fred Binney

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'll be honest. I knew the name but really naff all about him.

For the first time this season we decided to stay in our seats at half time and I'm so glad I did. What a NICE BLOKE. I love seeing old footballers actually DELIGHTED to talk about the old days. He was grinning the whole time.

Lovely scenes.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Fat Fred was an absolute legend. Alright, Wardy came through and did good, but at the time Fred was one of the best lower division strikers around and we were pleased to have him. If Wardy hadn't come on board Fee would have been around for a few more seasons.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Yes, that's right: just consulted my diary for Saturday 6th December 1975, Fred scored after 7 minutes, got head patched at 20 minutes, fairer score would have been 8-1; other goals from Ian Mellor and two from Neil Martin while Dudley Tyler, in 2nd spell for Hereford after retirning from West Ham, scored their first.

Wasn't it in the home game against Hereford that season that he sustained an injury and returned with his head bandaged but still inspired us to victory? 4-2, as i recall?

I think that game was a top of the table clash,Hereford were a very good side that season,think they might of even won the league that year?,how times change in football

as for Fred,my abiding memory of him is

Shrewsbury at home night match,possibly same season as above

losing 0-2 at half time,which back then was unheard of

anyway got it back to 1-2

get a penalty in I'm sure was the last minute

South Stand goal which I'm right behind

fred stands there hands on hips,back to the goal

ref blows the whistle and Fred turns round and buries it in the corner

cool as you like,the place erupted

so glad to hear his doing well

thanks for the memories

Mr Fred Binney

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bit about Binney from Mullers.......first 10 minutes are relevant :)

[yt]FZB0ynb6qHo[/yt]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that game was a top of the table clash,Hereford were a very good side that season,think they might of even won the league that year?,how times change in football

as for Fred,my abiding memory of him is

Shrewsbury at home night match,possibly same season as above

losing 0-2 at half time,which back then was unheard of

anyway got it back to 1-2

get a penalty in I'm sure was the last minute

South Stand goal which I'm right behind

fred stands there hands on hips,back to the goal

ref blows the whistle and Fred turns round and buries it in the corner

cool as you like,the place erupted

so glad to hear his doing well

thanks for the memories

Mr Fred Binney

Who was the best striker: Diixe McNeil or Fred Binney?

I knew something was in the air. It took about a minute to find out at Hereford.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Bit about Binney from Mullers.......first 10 minutes are relevant :)

[yt]FZB0ynb6qHo[/yt]

Really enjoyed watching that. I thought Binney wasn't let go of until after the start of the 76/77 season, I'm sure he played at least one game as cover for some injuries. Seem to remember Mullery being pleased he could use him.

Remember going to quite a few games in the 75/76 season, the only game I can remember a Binney goal was at home to Millwall, I think he latched onto a clearance from their goal keeper.
Also remember Grummit playing a blinder. Brighton winning one nil. Millwall unlucky to lose, the writing being on the wall them grabbing 3rd place & promotion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really enjoyed watching that. I thought Binney wasn't let go of until after the start of the 76/77 season, I'm sure he played at least one game as cover for some injuries. Seem to remember Mullery being pleased he could use him.

Yeah, Mullers' memory was letting him down there: Binney's last game was the 7-2 win against York in mid-September. It wasn't true that Ward was a reserve player either - he was a first team regular by then. He played in the last eight games of the previous season

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Yeah, Mullers' memory was letting him down there: Binney's last game was the 7-2 win against York in mid-September. It wasn't true that Ward was a reserve player either - he was a first team regular by then. He played in the last eight games of the previous season

I missed that game, I was Hyde Park for Queen's free concert

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Who was the best striker Dixie McNeil or Fred Binney?

McNeil was prolific at Hereford,but they were a very good side

you'd have to give McNeil the nod,purely on goals ratio

but neither played at the highest level,so it's difficult to tell

Wardy was obviously better than the both of them

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

didn't realise that was Binney's last game,televised to I seem to remember

we were scoring for fun that season,thumped Colchester & Chester for 6 too,what a season!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
didn't realise that was Binney's last game,televised to I seem to remember

we were scoring for fun that season,thumped Colchester & Chester for 6 too,what a season!

Seem to remember the home game in the 76/77 season against Chester was a 3 nil win.
After the game their Centre Half was complaining that Brighton were so lucky, he was going to back them to win the Grand National.

Think the Colchester 6 nil result may have been 75/76 season.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Seem to remember the home game in the 76/77 season against Chester was a 3 nil win.
After the game their Centre Half was complaining that Brighton were so lucky, he was going to back them to win the Grand National.

Think the Colchester 6 nil result may have been 75/76 season.

ah! often get those two season's mixed up

Walsall 7-0 was the same season as York 7-2,just after I think

so poor old Fred missed out on that one (Wardy & Mellor getting all 7 between them)

and the Colchester & Chester 6-0's was a season earlier

el punal

Arrived at Hereford that day. Heard rumours about Fred being dropped for this new wonder kid ( who I knew very little about ) Supped a few ales before hand. Saw Fred outside the ground, sheepskin coat, approx. 2.30pm. Whatever possessed me to go up to Fred and ask him if he was playing, God only knows. Got the response I deserved.
Beginning of end for Fred. Beginning of a legend.

I woz there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here