Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are you paying for fuel ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
To be honest i never look, the fuel light comes on telling me i need fuel so pull in the next station and fill up.
I never look at what the cost is as i just need it what ever it is.
One thing i do hate when filling up "do you have a Nectar,club/loyalty, FU@K OFF, hate all these with a passion.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
To be honest i never look, the fuel light comes on telling me i need fuel so pull in the next station and fill up.
I never look at what the cost is as i just need it what ever it is.
One thing i do hate when filling up "do you have a Nectar,club/loyalty, FU@K OFF, hate all these with a passion.

As a matter of interest, what car / vehicle do you drive, and is it a company vehicle?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Gateshead MetroCentre Asda had 98/97p per litre - can't remember exactly as I didn't care because I wasn't driving, but it surprised me all the same to see it so low.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As a matter of interest, what car / vehicle do you drive, and is it a company vehicle?

No its my own private van, I'm now a sole trader.
But in previous lives when i did have company cars i was the same, felt over a tank full of fuel the difference was only a couple a quid or so and wasn't worthy of my concern even though i was doing 30-40k miles a year.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've got a bit of a brute of a car so need to run on Bp ultimate super unleaded or the tesco momentum99. Prices for that don't really change too much here in mid Sussex.

Perhaps I should consider downscaling as if I drive like a grandad in 6th gear at 30mph I can squeeze 280 miles from a 55 litre fuel tank.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
59.9p a litre in Hastings.

53.9p a litre in Polegate.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I know you don't like to hear about how low petrol prices are around the rest of the world but let's compare.

In Indiana just outside of Chicago I have seen petrol prices as low as 30p per litre (US$1.729 per US gal).

In Venezuela where the government is the provider of petrol and keeps the price artificially lower than anywhere else the price is 1.3p per litre (yes, less than 2p per litre)

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Would'be been £1.069 for normal unleaded earlier, but they didn't have any at the pump I chose at Tesco Newbury so I decided to treat my new motor to the £1.093 a litre 'Momentum' stuff, Still cheaper than regular stuff at my local Texaco and Shell garages, which were £1.11 at the weekemd.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
106.9 is the norm in the West Midlands although you can shop around and find unleaded at 103.9. Prices are always lower in the "affluent" south and I usually top up before returning home from the Amex.

Very much this. Always confuses me why fuel seems to be much cheaper in Sussex when most other things are pricier

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Always confuses me why everyone is so obsessed about fuel prices. Does a couple of quid per fill up really matter that much?

Maybe it's just me. I'm the opposite of thrifty, life's too short.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Uckfield Esso is worth detouring to if you're doing the A22 commute. I do Uckfield to Uxbridge 4 days a week (my wife goes the other way into Brighton) and it's consistently the cheapest branded fuel I see by a few p a litre - including the Shell just a couple miles away on the A22/26 roundabout. 104.9p this morning, but I've recently seen 102.9. They recently started doing the two days a week cut price thing, I'm expecting to see sub-100 prices before the end of the year.

I steer well clear of Asda and the like. Partly due to bad experiences with supermarket fuels in Australia (where they cut the fuel with cheaper fuel alternatives to such a high degree that the government was forced to step in and regulate), and partly due to local experience with my motorcycles not running as cleanly or efficiently on non-branded fuels.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
About £60 a gram these days. It's good stuff mind.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Always confuses me why everyone is so obsessed about fuel prices. Does a couple of quid per fill up really matter that much?

Maybe it's just me. I'm the opposite of thrifty, life's too short.

I do 30k miles a year (a large part following the Albion) so yes it matters!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I do 30k miles a year (a large part following the Albion) so yes it matters!

Even doing 30,000 miles a year means that you'd probably save less than £30 a month (I'm guessing at fuel consumption but if most of it is motorway and you get less than 40mpg then change your car) if the price dropped by 20p a litre.

People aren't talking about 20p though, they're talking about 5p or less differences. So maybe a fiver a month even to someone doing high mileage like you.

I have more important things to deal with and think about financially than a fiver a month, or £30 a month actually. I just don't get the obsession.

Especially when most people aren't doing 30k miles a year.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here