Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mullery as care- taker manager ?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dont think SH will go but IF he does I would sooner Mullery for a couple of weeks while they appoint Sherwood, Hughton or Clark rather than Jones be promoted to No 1 immediately.

Sherwood doesn't want to manage out of the Premier League.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Went to "an evening with Alan mullery" a couple of years ago, what a fantastic speaker he is, had us entertained for a good 2 hours.......he'd be inspirational in the dressing room getting the team motivated.
Get him in !!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to "an evening with Alan mullery" a couple of years ago, what a fantastic speaker he is, had us entertained for a good 2 hours.......he'd be inspirational in the dressing room getting the team motivated.
Get him in !!!

That is why I have said in the past, but been shot down, make him no 2 to SH in the short term and put Jones back to concentrate on coaching. I know of his motivational type speeches.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't forget that Mullery has already been back as manager once (86-87) and presided over a team that ended up getting relegated.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
FFS, he's going to be 73 this month.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Anyone SERIOUSLY suggesting that Mullers should have a role to play in the 1st team squad has completely taken leave of their senses.

This. I know he's a club legend but its a ****ing deluded idea.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
For a short time when the inevitable happens?

image.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
At least the legends wall would have a great picture of him sticking his fingers up

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Don't forget that Mullery has already been back as manager once (86-87) and presided over a team that ended up getting relegated.

As mentioned before, they were eight points clear of relegation when he was sacked, ending with victory at Grimsby. Then Barry Lloyd took three months to record his first win.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously at his age it wouldnt be a long term appointment either as caretaker about 2 weeks or as SH No 2/advisor max 6 months to ensure or at least attempt avoiding relegation this season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Obviously at his age it wouldnt be a long term appointment either as caretaker about 2 weeks or as SH No 2/advisor max 6 months to ensure or at least attempt avoiding relegation this season.

Explain the role you have in mind because a rather portly 73 year old is not going to be up to much on the training pitches is he? He'll need a mobility scooter to get to the far ones for a start. It'll be like that guy in the wheelchair on Little Britain...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody would expect him to be active on the training ground but with his knowledge of the game he may see various aspects that SH misses and could advise him accordingly. Plus jn the dressing room players would listen to him having seen it done it etc as a player and as a manager.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Nobody would expect him to be active on the training ground but with his knowledge of the game he may see various aspects that SH misses and could advise him accordingly. Plus jn the dressing room players would listen to him having seen it done it etc as a player and as a manager.

Why would the players listen to Mullery any more than they would someone they watched win a CL medal? SH may not have a managerial career to point to but I can't imagine there are many players that wouldn't respect him for his achievements on the pitch alone.

Also, remember the age of our squad, how many of the players would know who Mullery is without being told? Is it possible that they'd see the random old guy as undermining the manager (assuming SH still has the dressing room, which he seems to)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here