Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
BBC News have just reported it as The Premier League Clubs have "agreed" but some smaller clubs are unhappy.

If Paul is reading this, how accurate is that report ?

Sadly they are all EPL lapdogs now, they’ll all pay, they don’t have the balls to say no.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've received a message from Paul Barber, and with his permission will post it here

"As is usual, several people have made me aware of the thread concerning Richard Scudamore’s remuneration on NSC.

To be clear, and to correct a number of inaccuracies currently being presented and discussed as “fact”:

- Richard Scudamore’s remuneration is determined by the Premier League’s board and audit committee - not by individual clubs or via a vote;

- as such, clubs were not required to vote to determine Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or that of any other league executive);

- therefore it is not true that 5 clubs “abstained” from a vote that did not, and was not required to, take place;

- our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or anyone else’s remuneration at the Premier League);

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type);

- finally, our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs.

The Premier League has now issued a statement on this subject - and it is not for our club to comment on the specific remuneration of individual Premier League executives (just as we wouldn’t comment on the specific remuneration of our own staff, executives, coaches or players).

We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.

Please feel free to share the content of this email if it’s helpful to better inform people.

Thanks, Paul"
So let's get this straight then. This wasn't an idea suggested by Bruce Buck of Chelsea, who wasn't filmed going to a meeting at PL headquarters in company with Steve Parish, and from which David Gold emerged to announce that all clubs were in agreement with this wonderful idea and that anybody who moaned about it was a w@nker (or words to that effect). Absolutely never happened. Amazing how SSN got the footage.

This was just his remuneration, paid by the PL. OK, nobody knew about it for all the years he worked for the PL, but fair enough.

There wasn't a meeting to decide about this, even though the representative of five clubs announced they were not in favour. Gosh, that fake news, amazing stuff, eh.........?

I don't suppose the PL clubs ever even had a meeting to agree to use VAR next season either. Must just be the PL pushing its weight around again.

The clubs won't be paying £5M over three years, the PL will.....hmmm...SSN still broadcasting lies at 10.30pm GMT then. They state quite unequivocally that the clubs have agreed to pay it.

Apart from that, carry on.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a good bloke and was very good at my job too. Where's my £5M?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But a donation towards a retirement gift simply isn’t remuneration by any stretch of the definition.

“Remuneration is considered the pay or other compensation provided in exchange for the services performed; not to be confused with giving (away), or donating, or the act of providing to.”

In what way is money paid to a director (salary, bonus, pension, benefits in kind etc) not considered remuneration? And how could this money be outside of that definition?

I think you need to check your terms when it comes to company accounts and how people get paid.

It's remuneration. Not that I'm saying it's right, but the term PB used is correct.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In what way is money paid to a director (salary, bonus, pension, benefits in kind etc) not considered remuneration? And how could this money be outside of that definition?

I think you need to check your terms when it comes to company accounts and how people get paid.

It's remuneration. Not that I'm saying it's right, but the term PB used is correct.

The envelope passed round for the leaving present is not remuneration, no matter how much is stuffed into it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The envelope passed round for the leaving present is not remuneration, no matter how much is stuffed into it.
It is when it will still be declared as income for the director. I fail to see how this isn't taxable remuneration. It can't be a "gift" however it's dressed up.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I think you need to check how exactly a gift from outside of your employers remit is dealt with by HMRC before you repeat your error.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is when it will still be declared as income for the director. I fail to see how this isn't taxable remuneration. It can't be a "gift" however it's dressed up.
He is employed by the PL. He is not employed by PL clubs. If they are stupid enough to fork out £250K each, it's a gift. It is not a payment (remuneration) from his employer.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think you need to check how exactly a gift from outside of your employers remit is dealt with by HMCR before you repeat your error.
What's HMCR? And despite that error, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He is employed by the PL. He is not employed by PL clubs. If they are stupid enough to fork out £250K each, it's a gift. It is not a payment (remuneration) from his employer.
Ok. Fine. What I've read about this is that a massive binfest has been created about all the PL clubs "writing a cheque" for £250k each as a leaving present for Scudamore.

Barber has pointed out that this is totally untrue. If he's lying then he's ****ed.

You also can't just chuck £5m at someone as a leaving present WITHOUT IT BEING PART OF THEIR REMUNERATION.

OH, it's from another part of the organisation rather than your employer... Hmmmm.

HMRC are crap, but they're not that crap.

Jesus. It's not complicated.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So a typo means I clearly have no idea what I’m talking about?

Check the next post after mine, exactly the same point made, pointing out you are wrong.
The next post was also completely incorrect. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Ok. Fine. What I've read about this is that a massive binfest has been created about all the PL clubs "writing a cheque" for £250k each as a leaving present for Scudamore.

Barber has pointed out that this is totally untrue. If he's lying then he's ****ed.

You also can't just chuck £5m at someone as a leaving present WITHOUT IT BEING PART OF THEIR REMUNERATION.

OH, it's from another part of the organisation rather than your employer... Hmmmm.

HMRC are crap, but they're not that crap.

Jesus. It's not complicated.

It’s not complicated at all. If a third party or parties choose to donate you money as a gift, it is not considered remuneration in the eyes of HMRC.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It’s not complicated at all. If a third party or parties choose to donate you money as a gift, it is not considered remuneration in the eyes of HMRC.
Good luck with spinning that one when it's blatantly a bonus. And therefore remuneration.....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
How can it be considered a bonus when it wasn’t proposed by his employer nor was it paid paid by his employer?
I understand that you've got a Palace agenda here but you're really being a bit thick. And you're not thick.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
COMPANY RINSES PATRONS TO FUND CEO'S LEAVING PRESENT SHOCKER.........glad to see that the muppets in the boardroom are firmly in touch with what is going on in the rest of the country.....obscene , considering the elite game is now out of reach of a large proportion of the population in a match day sense .....50-60 quid for a ticket soon ..!!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I deal with Financial Crime acts and although this isn't quite the same, its stinks of a facilitation payment as cataorgised by the Bribery Act 2010.

A facilitation payment is a type of bribe and should be seen as such. A common example is where a government official is given money or goods to perform (or speed up the performance of) an existing duty. Facilitation payments were illegal before the Bribery Act came into force and they are illegal under the Bribery Act, regardless of their size or frequency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitating_payment

https://www.sfo.gov.uk/publications/guidance-policy-and-protocols/bribery-act-guidance/

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Makes me sick. Highlights once again how out of touch these wealthy sorts are. One step away from 'let them eat cake' imo. My dad worked for 40 years for a company and got his pension and a watch. How do they not see just how utterly out of proportion this payment is.

Selfish, greedy, out of touch, rich looking after the rich, disgusting behaviour.

MPs expenses scandal, Phillip Green screwing over the pensions, Carillion executives giving themselves bonuses as it went bust, the list is endless.

Sick of it and things need to change.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here