Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why no trigger pull yet? Because it takes time to have a plan. Cameron had no plan, now his successor is left holding the baby. This whole thing is quite extraordinary . . .

Imagine your brother has decided to get engaged to a horrible witch. The day after the engagement is announced he pops his cloggs. Then you discover that in his will he has bequested to his oldest male sibling (you) the task of marrying said witch. And you accept the obligation . . . .

Gender issues notwithstanding, May (the oldest male sibling in this parable - and fitting it is that the wheels of this analogy have already started to come off) is now busy preparing the invitations, selecting the hymns, choosing the bridesmaid's dresses and booking the honeymoon suite. Trouble is, there is a fair chance that on the fateful day, she is likely to punch the witch in the face and leg it. Sometimes there is no shoehorn in Christendom with sufficient peng to ease the flaccid old chap into glory.

We'll see.

:facepalm:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
All you need to do is click on the number of replies to the right of the thread title on the main index page.

As of 25 August this is the list of those with over 100 posts on this thread along with their stance on staying or leaving.

Baldseagull - 240 - Stay
Soulman - 210 - Leave
Seagull58 - 209 - Leave
GoldWithFalmer - 189 - Leave
ManOfSussex - 187 - Stay
Lincoln Imp - 174 - Stay
The Clamp - 171 - Stay
pastafarian - 169 - Leave
Triggaaar - 168 - Leave
JC Footy Genius - 138 - Leave
studio150 - 136 - Stay
GT49er - 112 - Leave
Hampster Gull - 112 - Stay
Two Professors - 108 - Leave
portslade seagull - 103 - Leave
beorhthelm - 102 - Leave

So of the top 16, 10 are from the leave camp and 6 remain.

Interesting. Conclusive proof that the leavers really are bleating on

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol: i like you HWT but have you been on the beers?

Faversham wine lake, actually. I should probably stay off this particular thread since, to be fair, I am very not part of the hand wringing tendency. But it does strike me as extraordinary, this turn of events. I was listening to someone on R5 the other morning, on a phone-in, emoting that Brexit is Brexit and we should just Brexit now, no negociations, nothing. Just . . . . gone. I understand her imperative but, blimey . . . . 'so what about the replacement of current trade deals that are enshirined in our EU membership?'. 'I don't care about that!'. But what about the fact that a huge chunk of our immigration is from outside the EU and'.... 'Brexit is Brexit'. Could we, actually, just leave tomorrow and work out all the deals later? My head says 'no' but my heart says 'Brexit IS BREXIT!!!!'. And I voted REMAIN! In times of madness he who blinks last wins.

Aside from that I am struggling with a book chapter the first draught of which was written by a careless colleague; who puts semicolons everywhere; and writes sentences that can be up to; but no including; 20 lines long, and if I don't have a bit of downtime on my favourite source of Brighton related internet hilarity, I'll swing for him next time we Skype, so help me I will :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why no trigger pull yet? Because it takes time to have a plan. Cameron had no plan, now his successor is left holding the baby. This whole thing is quite extraordinary . . .

Imagine your brother has decided to get engaged to a horrible witch. The day after the engagement is announced he pops his cloggs. Then you discover that in his will he has bequested to his oldest male sibling (you) the task of marrying said witch. And you accept the obligation . . . .

Gender issues notwithstanding, May (the oldest male sibling in this parable - and fitting it is that the wheels of this analogy have already started to come off) is now busy preparing the invitations, selecting the hymns, choosing the bridesmaid's dresses and booking the honeymoon suite. Trouble is, there is a fair chance that on the fateful day, she is likely to punch the witch in the face and leg it. Sometimes there is no shoehorn in Christendom with sufficient peng to ease the flaccid old chap into glory.

We'll see.
I haven't looked at this thread for ages because it's basically full of complete and utter nonsense. So glad I decided to have a quick click on it this evening though as this is the best post on the whole godforsaken thing.

Chapeau sir.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Faversham wine lake, actually. I should probably stay off this particular thread since, to be fair, I am very not part of the hand wringing tendency. But it does strike me as extraordinary, this turn of events. I was listening to someone on R5 the other morning, on a phone-in, emoting that Brexit is Brexit and we should just Brexit now, no negociations, nothing. Just . . . . gone. I understand her imperative but, blimey . . . . 'so what about the replacement of current trade deals that are enshirined in our EU membership?'. 'I don't care about that!'. But what about the fact that a huge chunk of our immigration is from outside the EU and'.... 'Brexit is Brexit'. Could we, actually, just leave tomorrow and work out all the deals later? My head says 'no' but my heart says 'Brexit IS BREXIT!!!!'. And I voted REMAIN! In times of madness he who blinks last wins.

Aside from that I am struggling with a book chapter the first draught of which was written by a careless colleague; who puts semicolons everywhere; and writes sentences that can be up to; but no including; 20 lines long, and if I don't have a bit of downtime on my favourite source of Brighton related internet hilarity, I'll swing for him next time we Skype, so help me I will :lolol:

Linked to another thread, my recommendation is a pint of water btw a few drinks :)

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
No. Many months ago I said if Brexit wins then I hope they head off and do their thing. The world is your oyster, apparently, so I don't understand why two months later you're still hanging around wanting to do some deal with an allegedly corrupt and unaccountable body. I'm also puzzled why the Tory party then elected a Remainer.

Be brave and pull the trigger now.

All in good time HT. All in good time. Rest assured it will happen.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why doesn't the UK just leave though? Why all this "deal" nonsense? You wanted out of a club you felt was corrupt and unaccountable and now you want a deal with them. Be brave and cut loose now.

This really is beginners page 1 stuff :ffsparr:
Why are you not aware this "deal" and relationship "nonsense" are part of the Article 50 leaving process?

"the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union"

Are you as petulant towards the rest of The EU for not simply cutting us loose now and telling us to sod off?

and are just enjoying taking part in the longest whinge in history.

Its becoming quite an Epic.
we might need to start handing out Oscars

All you need to do is click on the number of replies to the right of the thread title on the main index page.

As of 25 August this is the list of those with over 100 posts on this thread along with their stance on staying or leaving.

Baldseagull - 240 - Stay
Soulman - 210 - Leave
Seagull58 - 209 - Leave
GoldWithFalmer - 189 - Leave
ManOfSussex - 187 - Stay
Lincoln Imp - 174 - Stay
The Clamp - 171 - Stay
pastafarian - 169 - Leave
Triggaaar - 168 - Leave
JC Footy Genius - 138 - Leave
studio150 - 136 - Stay
GT49er - 112 - Leave
Hampster Gull - 112 - Stay
Two Professors - 108 - Leave
portslade seagull - 103 - Leave
beorhthelm - 102 - Leave

So of the top 16, 10 are from the leave camp and 6 remain.

Out of top 16, 38% are serial whiners.......seems legit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union"

This isn't dependent upon Article 50 though. In fact it's been said withdrawal can't be formally discussed until Article 50 is invoked. Pulling trigger would certainly focus minds.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This isn't dependent upon Article 50 though. In fact it's been said withdrawal can't be formally discussed until Article 50 is invoked. Pulling trigger would certainly focus minds.

but why do you want everyone to separate and cut loose now and have no negotiations or deals at all?
a process that is clearly outlined in Article 50.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Interesting. Conclusive proof that the leavers really are bleating on

How [MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION] has the time to produce such a list is beyond me,some of us are out earning GDP for this fine country...

Even in that list it's crystal clear that Leave had the majority....i say we invoke and have no freedom of movement..

Anything less and UKIP here we come.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Can any of the get out now brigade please explain how we replace this when we are legally prohibited from negotiating any trade agreement until out of EU. Or don't they care?

Capture.JPG

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How [MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION] has the time to produce such a list is beyond me,some of us are out earning GDP for this fine country...

Even in that list it's crystal clear that Leave had the majority....i say we invoke and have no freedom of movement..

Anything less and UKIP here we come.

Do you not think at the very least the 2 new government departments responsible for Brexit need to be fully complemented, coherent and operational?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In fairness you are right you havnt,.....dont you feel better for it?

Thank-you and yes, I do actually! :ohmy:

I voted 'remain', I still don't think to leave is the right decision, but that's all water under the bridge and irrelevant as is the continuation of whining in 'defeat' and crowing in 'victory' which should both cease, as that's rather pointless now.

As the PM says - Brexit means Brexit, and we are going to make a success of it - We are all Brexiteers now.

We bide our time until WE are ready, then WE invoke Article 50 and leave the EU in an orderly, cordial and cooperative manner in the best interests of all concerned.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Do you not think at the very least the 2 new government departments responsible for Brexit need to be fully complemented, coherent and operational?

yes,however remain would have it otherwise,hence a relative and minor delay in proceedings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here