Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I watched an interesting interview with Sir James Dyson last week. In it he said that no open access to the single market wouldn't be a problem. He implied that soaking up tariff costs shouldn't worry British based businesses. His expectation was they would be set at 2-4% ( no idea if that's realistic but he knows more than me ). He also stated that any lack of open access would be more than made up for better access to the rest of the world.

Sir James seems to have done quite well for himself so I think I'll believe him. Would make hard Brexit worth going for.

We'll see when the demands are set. Donald Trump seems to have done for himself too, but I don't think I'll take his advice. Perhaps the gov of the BoE, or the IMF chief can offer better advice.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Implicit in driving a hard bargain is a willingness to walk away. I don't believe the EU is prepared to do this on every issue. There will be compromise and as neither side will disclose its actual negotiating position to you or I, it means that you are merely speculating. I could also ask you 'what does a hard bargain mean ?'... It is about as woolly as 'Brexit means Brexit'....you could tell me what your hard bargain would be but you do not work for the EU (I think) and therefore you are presenting something as fact that patently isn't....

Hard bargain is you pay us for access to the free market, you adopt our rules (not hard cos we have them already), and free movement stays. Basically a Norway model.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The current system works very well, economically speaking at least. We're dismantling a system that works with a mystery system that may or may not include free trade with the biggest economy in the world.

No it's not. USA = just shy of $18Tn - the EU is about $14.5Tn

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A senior Police Officer with the Metropolitan Police is facing a disciplinary investigation for social media postings in support of a Leave vote in the EU Referendum.

Peter Whittle AM, UKIP’s Group Leader in the London Assembly and a member of its Police and Crime Committee said:

“Whilst serving police officers should be careful with what they say, Detective Chief Inspector Mick Neville’s postings were done in such a way that did not highlight his police rank or indeed his membership of the Metropolitan Police, whereas for example Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, who supported Remain, made his high profile intervention in uniform. To damn one and not the other to me seems to be a form of political hypocrisy.

“I hope that the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards investigation comes to a swift and sharp end with Detective Chief Inspector Mick Neville being able to continue keeping London’s streets and communities safe.”
http://www.peterwhittleam.com/press-releases/met-police-continue-to-take-sides-in-brexit-debate

Seems to hold the views of many leave voters

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/09/19/met-police-chief-who-compared-gay-equality-to-nazi-germany-facing-disciplinary-probe/

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hard bargain is you pay us for access to the free market, you adopt our rules (not hard cos we have them already), and free movement stays. Basically a Norway model.

Sure, yes that's your 'hard bargain'. Interesting of course but as I said you won't be in the negotiations. You are not party to the lobbying of import and export interests within the EU and therefore you do not have sufficient information. The actual 'hard bargain' may be tougher or weaker than your position. We will all have to wait and see.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I watched an interesting interview with Sir James Dyson last week. In it he said that no open access to the single market wouldn't be a problem. He implied that soaking up tariff costs shouldn't worry British based businesses. His expectation was they would be set at 2-4% ( no idea if that's realistic but he knows more than me ). He also stated that any lack of open access would be more than made up for better access to the rest of the world.

Sir James seems to have done quite well for himself so I think I'll believe him. Would make hard Brexit worth going for.

James abandoned UK manufacturing a long time ago, he stuff is made is low cost centres so he won't be too bothered

The real threat is to business who have real manufacturing jobs in the UK, many who are foreign owned and chose us over other EU countries, take BMW Mini, Nissan, Jaguar, massive big employers directly and even more rely on jobs in the supply chain. Just glad they are already here, we wouldn't be on the list of places right now

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Sure, yes that's your 'hard bargain'. Interesting of course but as I said you won't be in the negotiations. You are not party to the lobbying of import and export interests within the EU and therefore you do not have sufficient information. The actual 'hard bargain' may be tougher or weaker than your position. We will all have to wait and see.

That's something I'd expect sure, not something I know will happen.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
See some loser called Farron,who apparently leads a political party?,said he was 'shattered by the result' of the referendum.Shame he appears to be like all the other whiners who lack the courage to clear off,as a lot of them promised to do!:tantrum:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
James abandoned UK manufacturing a long time ago, he stuff is made is low cost centres so he won't be too bothered

The real threat is to business who have real manufacturing jobs in the UK, many who are foreign owned and chose us over other EU countries, take BMW Mini, Nissan, Jaguar, massive big employers directly and even more rely on jobs in the supply chain. Just glad they are already here, we wouldn't be on the list of places right now

Wonder how many of them are stupid enough to pick up their ball and go home in a huff?How many years profits would it cost,and could they afford it?What a little ray of sunshine you are!:lolol:Bet the bar clears quickly,if you ever go to one.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The current system works very well, economically speaking at least. We're dismantling a system that works with a mystery system that may or may not include free trade with the biggest economy in the world.

I will go along with that,there is much to admire about EU membership,the real question is why was the Brexit referendum result not something,let's say,in the region of a 65% to 35% to remain,this is the real question....clearly something is not working,that allowed the vote to go the way it did.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
£1 for 4 weeks?Oh well,cheap wa**ing material for economists :)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I will go along with that,there is much to admire about EU membership,the real question is why was the Brexit referendum result not something,let's say,in the region of a 65% to 35% to remain,this is the real question....clearly something is not working,that allowed the vote to go the way it did.

Seemed like a populist protest vote against the political establishment rather than a vote on the EU

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Seemed like a populist protest vote against the political establishment rather than a vote on the EU

Wishful thinking? I can assure you it was a vote on leaving the EU. On the day of the referendum I can clearly remember the remainers celebrating that they had won. I kept saying that it wasn't over because absolutely everyone I new was voting out. So no it wasn't a vote against the establishment but it was indeed an OUT vote.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Impossible to know either way but its certainly how a lot of Remain voters are trying to rationalize it to fit with their views.It's certainly the way Tim Farron is spinning it. The thing is it sits happily with both sides of the argument because the EU for a lot of people is the part of the political establishment that they object to the most. This is not exclusive to the UK. Many people across the continent object to the political establishment but they at least feel they can replace their national government....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here