Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] BBC2 Simon Mayo Show

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Jo Whiley started her radio career in Brighton on BBC Radio Sussex.
Also studied at Brighton Polytechnic.

I like her, she's far better than Simon Mayo IMO.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
I think 'Durrington Tech' was actually called Worthing Technical High School at that time.
I also think Billy Idol was only at WHSB for a short while (a couple of months maybe?).
You must have been in a different school year to me, though I am sure Simon Mayo was in my year.
I was a Viking and we were mostly useless at sports as I recall.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Jo Whiley started her radio career in Brighton on BBC Radio Sussex.
Also studied at Brighton Polytechnic.

I like her, she's far better than Simon Mayo IMO.

Obviously it is indeed a matter of opinion. I'm happy to listen to Jo on her own show in it's appropriate time slot. However driving home, it's great to enjoy more of a magazine type show at which Simon now excels. It was adult, funny, educational, occasionally controversial and much like a Wogan show for the early evening. Sounded like the place where we'd all like to work. I'll miss it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Obviously it is indeed a matter of opinion. I'm happy to listen to Jo on her own show in it's appropriate time slot. However driving home, it's great to enjoy more of a magazine type show at which Simon now excels. It was adult, funny, educational, occasionally controversial and much like a Wogan show for the early evening. Sounded like the place where we'd all like to work. I'll miss it.

I did enjoy listening to Simon Mayo on R2, but I just got a bit fed up with the same thing. And after a few bad days at work and being stuck in traffic I found myself switching radio station.

I listen to Radio 6 most days now.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I liked the simon mayo show but with jo on it, all the fun seems to have gone.

Oh dear. A serious thread about the demise of the best show on R2 and it's been hijacked by all sorts of diversions. It was a great show ruined in the name of political correctness to meet the latest targets to put more women on the air. No doubt the controller who did it will be praised for his bravery rather than disciplined for rank stupidity while the ratings plummet.

I'll throw my pennies worth in despite this thread being taken over. I think that the original Simon Mayo show worked despite being so repetitive. Yes you knew what item was coming next, yes you knew he'd interview someone at 5:20 about a 'homework' question the night before, but it worked and was entertaining. But somehow having Simon & Jo together just hasn't clicked. They both seem to be in charge and are asking questions rather than feed off each other. With Simon and his team Simon was in charge and led the sport, business or traffic into a conversation. Something just isn't working and I'm afraid I tuned in to Absolute 80's after 15 minutes tonight. Had enough.

Interesting fact. The Absolute radio stations (70's, 80's etc) have one DJ broadcasting over all stations. They never mention the track just played as it is a different track on each station. And the tracks played simultaneously must all be of the same length. Crazy.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I can remember when Radio 5 was set up to be a dedicated sports station, which it absolutely was in most of its lifetime.

Now-a-days it’s a radio equivalent of Women’s Realm, saturated with items on childbirth, shoe shopping and tuppence problems. I listen to talk sport these days despite the fact it’s a bit purile and has adverts, it doesn’t get bogged down in politically correct bollocks.

I put radio 5 on a couple of weeks ago ahead of a match commentary and they had an item whereby the surgeon who had successfully completed a transplant of a penis and testicles to a man who lost his in Afghanistan was being interviewed.

Despite having male/female presenters, it was the woman did the interview and it was just excruciating, tip toeing around what should have been an interesting and enlightening item. I doubt the man would have done an item on breast cancer.

But then it’s about tokenism that these days........pure and simple.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I can remember when Radio 5 was set up to be a dedicated sports station, which it absolutely was in most of its lifetime.

Now-a-days it’s a radio equivalent of Women’s Realm, saturated with items on childbirth, shoe shopping and tuppence problems. I listen to talk sport these days despite the fact it’s a bit purile and has adverts, it doesn’t get bogged down in politically correct bollocks.

I put radio 5 on a couple of weeks ago ahead of a match commentary and they had an item whereby the surgeon who had successfully completed a transplant of a penis and testicles to a man who lost his in Afghanistan was being interviewed.

Despite having male/female presenters, it was the woman did the interview and it was just excruciating, tip toeing around what should have been an interesting and enlightening item. I doubt the man would have done an item on breast cancer.

But then it’s about tokenism that these days........pure and simple.

Radio 5 is just awful. Peter Allan used to be good but now it really is just dumbed down nonsense

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes Radio five was a wonderful sports and news channel. It was obviously aimed at men but that isn't allowed nowadays in the politically correct nonsense of the BBC. It is a great shame as I can't bear to listen much anymore.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'll throw my pennies worth in despite this thread being taken over. I think that the original Simon Mayo show worked despite being so repetitive. Yes you knew what item was coming next, yes you knew he'd interview someone at 5:20 about a 'homework' question the night before, but it worked and was entertaining. But somehow having Simon & Jo together just hasn't clicked. They both seem to be in charge and are asking questions rather than feed off each other. With Simon and his team Simon was in charge and led the sport, business or traffic into a conversation. Something just isn't working and I'm afraid I tuned in to Absolute 80's after 15 minutes tonight. Had enough.

Totally agree. If the first few days are anything to go by, the listening figures will plummet & it wont last long in the new format. I liked the Drive-time show as it was - & I also enjoyed Jo Whileys show in the evenings when I was running the kids around to their activities....but Im not liking the new show at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here