Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aitor Karanka: Middlesbrough sack Spaniard

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wonder whether Bloom would have stuck by Hughton had we got promoted last season and were in the position Middlesborough are in now. I think he would, as Chris is a decent, straightforward character. The same goes for Tony Bloom. Thankfully integrity can overpower money sometimes.

I think that would depend on the position, if Brighton were in the position that Sunderland are in currently, I personally think he would stand by him as he has a proven track record in the championship to go up again.

However would it be different if they were in Boro's position?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
They should get Pardew in with McClaren as DoF.

Then I'd get to see the perfect denouement to an enjoyable season; Newcastle promoted, Pardew, McClaren, Boro, Sunderland, Allardyce and Palace all relegated.:thumbsup:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I think that would depend on the position, if Brighton were in the position that Sunderland are in currently, I personally think he would stand by him as he has a proven track record in the championship to go up again.

We might find out in the not too distant future. Then again we might steamroller the league from the off IF we go up. IF.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We might find out in the not too distant future. Then again we might steamroller the league from the off IF we go up. IF.

I think next year will be tougher to stay up than this year as the sides in the bottom are rubbish this year, it will be intesresting to see.

As normal it just depends who the promoted teams bring in.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012

Not sure it would, to be honest. The big difference seems to be that Karanka is prone to moaning, whether it be about players, the club or whatever. Hughton just gets on with his job. I don't think anybody could criticise Steve Gibson as an employer; in fact he seems very similar to Tony Bloom. Pretty sure that if Hughton rather than Karanka had got Boro to this position, Gibson would stick with him, and I would expect the same to be true of Tony Bloom.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Not sure it would, to be honest. The big difference seems to be that Karanka is prone to moaning, whether it be about players, the club or whatever. Hughton just gets on with his job. I don't think anybody could criticise Steve Gibson as an employer; in fact he seems very similar to Tony Bloom. Pretty sure that if Hughton rather than Karanka had got Boro to this position, Gibson would stick with him, and I would expect the same to be true of Tony Bloom.

Agree. Like him or loathe him, Sean Dyche is a good example of what can be achieved by letting someone build for the longer term, rather than staying up in the first season at all costs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wonder whether Bloom would have stuck by Hughton had we got promoted last season and were in the position Middlesborough are in now. I think he would, as Chris is a decent, straightforward character. The same goes for Tony Bloom. Thankfully integrity can overpower money sometimes.

While it is getting MASSIVELY ahead of myself, I can see myself getting very annoyed at how some of our support (particularly newer-comers) would react if we go up and then struggle in the Prem under Hughton. I would like us to give him the time and support Burnley have given Dyche.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Boro are the dullest team I have seen at WHL for years, lower league clubs have a greater intent to attack than them.

His treatment of Rhodes is odd as well, he is a goal scorer and you don't give him a chance and then replace him with Bamford!!!

Rumours Bamford and a few other players met with the chairman yesterday unhappy with his training and Bamford not being played. It's not a happy camp up there at the moment.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
While it is getting MASSIVELY ahead of myself, I can see myself getting very annoyed at how some of our support (particularly newer-comers) would react if we go up and then struggle in the Prem under Hughton. I would like us to give him the time and support Burnley have given Dyche.

Agreed. A number of teams who are now regulars in the Premier League (or have been in the past) went up and down a couple of times before consolidating their position. West Brom are a classic example. I think they went up and back down three times and have now become a regular in the Premier League and look like finishing eighth this year.

Sadly, I think that you are right though. If we're down the bottom early season, there will definitely be people calling on Bloom to sack Hughton and find a manager who is Premier League quality. We just have to accept it and hope Bloom is more patient. If Hughton takes us up, he deserves a full season and a chance to get us back up if the worst happens.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Agreed. A number of teams who are now regulars in the Premier League (or have been in the past) went up and down a couple of times before consolidating their position. West Brom are a classic example. I think they went up and back down three times and have now become a regular in the Premier League and look like finishing eighth this year.

Sadly, I think that you are right though. If we're down the bottom early season, there will definitely be people calling on Bloom to sack Hughton and find a manager who is Premier League quality. We just have to accept it and hope Bloom is more patient. If Hughton takes us up, he deserves a full season and a chance to get us back up if the worst happens.

Given his patience during the Hyypia debacle, I think we can rely on Bloom on this one. Not sure anything he's done has given the impression of short termist panic than most trigger happy chairmen are guilty of,

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Given his patience during the Hyypia debacle, I think we can rely on Bloom on this one. Not sure anything he's done has given the impression of short termist panic than most trigger happy chairmen are guilty of,

Absolutely. I have no doubt we can rely on Bloom. It would be good if supporters showed patience too. If you look at the three promoted teams from last year, Middlesbrough and Hull are both in the bottom three and Burnley are doing pretty well, but they've been up a couple of times in recent years so probably had a better starting point that we would. If we do go up, 17th would be an achievement in the first season up and then you can build from there. I'm not saying that should be the limit of our expectations but, having been used to winning a lot of games and rarely losing across the last two seasons, we will have to get used to losing a lot more games next season, even if we do well like Burnley.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Could be a double bonus

Expect a Boro bounce = Palace relegation

Too much to ask for them to poach a fellow Yorkshire clubs manager? Wagner leaving Huddersfield would be great.
There you go, I never knew Boro was in Yorkshire until this post - I lived in N Yorkshire for a bit as well :) :p

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

100% this.

If we go up, then our chances of staying up are not high. Obviously, we're not privy to what transfers may or may not happen in an unknown situation. I'm sure TB is looking long-term. If we go up and stay up, then great. If we yo-yo then so be it. Either way, I hope he trusts CH even if we do come back down. Stability is the most important thing for the management team.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This made me laugh on the BBC website:

"Goals have been hard to come by, despite the £7m signing of Aston Villa striker Rudy Gestede in January and they have scored just three goals in their last 10 league games."

Yep, because Rudy did so well for Villa last year.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I did mention a few weeks ago that some of our supporters will have a massive shock coming their way if we go up, seem to remember getting torn apart..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here