Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've pretty much agreed with my doctor as I'm not really a pill popper and believe doctors are just there to comfort the patient while nature just heals you with time anyway (in terms of coughs and colds and the like anyway). But this ongoing chest issue has finally got to me mentally as it's so frustrating how it just goes on and on. I think the least I can do is give the antibiotics a go now.
It does get to that stage where anything is worth a go!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice vid 10.

This Highly Incapacitating Virus is a pain in the harris.

Anyway, in terms of motivation, holiday booked 10 miles from that 'hc' I've been eyeing up, with 3 bike hire shops in town. I'm gonna take a bianca up the top.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Wowzers, still a very impressive list of climbs. What was the toughest of all of those? Does the altitude make a big difference? I'll probably hire a bike to avoid the faff of buying a bike box and lugging mine over. I'm considering end of Aug/Sep as it'll hopefully be a bit cooler.

I've been asked to go to Ibiza and Vegas with mates, not sure what they'll make of me cycling the Alps instead!

They're certainly two differing types of holiday!

Marie Blanque was the toughest personally. But it was 42 degrees that day, which made it especially taxing with a distinct lack of shade. The first 6km or so are very gentle but the final 4 kilometres are brutal (after a long ride out there) averaging something like 10%, 12%, 11%, 12% for the whole stretch on long straight roads with very few switchbacks. The descent down the longer, less steep side was magnificent though.

Spandelles to Soulor was one of the most picturesque rides with good climbing thrown in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've pretty much agreed with my doctor as I'm not really a pill popper and believe doctors are just there to comfort the patient while nature just heals you with time anyway (in terms of coughs and colds and the like anyway). But this ongoing chest issue has finally got to me mentally as it's so frustrating how it just goes on and on. I think the least I can do is give the antibiotics a go now.
I was reading a review of Dr Phil Hammond's latest book:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Staying-Alive-Best-advice-doctor/dp/1848664516

The reviewer took from it, as most cases a GP deals with are lack of exercise, companionship and too much stress the thing, given the chance, Dr Phil would spend most his day prescribing is a dog.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I was reading a review of Dr Phil Hammond's latest book:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Staying-Alive-Best-advice-doctor/dp/1848664516

The reviewer took from it, as most cases a GP deals with are lack of exercise, companionship and too much stress the thing, given the chance, Dr Phil would spend most his day prescribing is a dog.

Very true!

I do not envy the life of a GP one bit. Expectations are very high and they are constantly derided at the moment by the government and the press. Its an easy job to do badly and an incredibly difficult one to do well. They need to look out for the "needle in the haystack" of serious disease that they may only encounter a few times in their career whilst dealing with a sea of worried well or psychologically distressed in 10 minutes a pop.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Quick question for anyone on here that trains with power [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]? [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION]? [MENTION=54]teaboy[/MENTION]?

I'm just wondering how your power relates to times over 10/25 miles or similar. Strava estimated by average power at 244W over 12.8 miles for 21.6mph (with some stopping), however the fastest on the bike beat me by 3 minutes and had a recorded average of 249W - is that just aero (full setup including discs and aero helmet).

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Strava estimated by average power at 244W over 12.8 miles for 21.6mph (with some stopping), however the fastest on the bike beat me by 3 minutes and had a recorded average of 249W - is that just aero (full setup including discs and aero helmet).

Are you just using Strava's estimate?

We did a very unscientific test of the estimates the other day versus garmin vector pedals for 2 people of the same weight.
It seems it's very accurate until headwinds etc. come into play as it doesn't account for the extra effort at all.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Are you just using Strava's estimate?

We did a very unscientific test of the estimates the other day versus garmin vector pedals for 2 people of the same weight.
It seems it's very accurate until headwinds etc. come into play as it doesn't account for the extra effort at all.
Yes, that's all I'm going on (until I get my limits meter at the end of the year!).

I suppose I might have been lower as I was on tri bars and it probably doesn't account for that. A depressing thought!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right. Pads, chain and cassette as expected but also 4 cables, bottom brackett and rear mech. £190 and advice to get new tyres.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right. Pads, chain and cassette as expected but also 4 cables, bottom brackett and rear mech. £190 and advice to get new tyres.
I've just bought some Michelin Pro Race 4 service course, half price from Wiggle. £22 each.

To give you some perspective as to how much of a bargain I believe that to be, they will be my first pair on non celeste walled tyres for 2 or 3 years :cry:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The warning is a puncture risk. A bit of scarring and obvious cuts. They ain't that old. I'll take my chances. Stone me, the brakes are good now!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], but I couldn't resist a photo of my evenings 'entertainment'.

WP_20150429_001.jpg

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've just bought some Michelin Pro Race 4 service course, half price from Wiggle. £22 each.

To give you some perspective as to how much of a bargain I believe that to be, they will be my first pair on non celeste walled tyres for 2 or 3 years :cry:

That looks a great deal but I'd worry about the durability. How have you found them?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

That looks a great deal but I'd worry about the durability. How have you found them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
These are my first 4's.

I swore by PR3's and never had a durability problem.
I only moved over to Vittoria's as they were celeste walled!, even then it was only once Pogue had given them his approval.

I would have stayed with the Vit's had it not been for the Wiggle price.
They're getting their first ride out in a minute.

Along with the reduced Morvelo bib shorts.
I'm just a [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] wannabe.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
These are my first 4's.

I swore by PR3's and never had a durability problem.
I only moved over to Vittoria's as they were celeste walled!, even then it was only once Pogue had given them his approval.

I would have stayed with the Vit's had it not been for the Wiggle price.
They're getting their first ride out in a minute.

Along with the reduced Morvelo bib shorts.
I'm just a [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] wannabe.
I've taken the plunge anyway, I've gone for the Red walls!

Spent a frustrating few hours changing my rear mech - had a fray at the end of the cable that was stopping it work smoothly, had to take the whole cable out and take the errant strand all the way back to the top!

On another note, I think this 10 might see the first "16"

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...de-hull-time-trial-169179#6F5kRjTcSuH28A4v.99

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've taken the plunge anyway, I've gone for the Red walls!

Spent a frustrating few hours changing my rear mech - had a fray at the end of the cable that was stopping it work smoothly, had to take the whole cable out and take the errant strand all the way back to the top!

On another note, I think this 10 might see the first "16"

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...de-hull-time-trial-169179#6F5kRjTcSuH28A4v.99
I wish I could tell you how fabulously rollingly smooth the PR4's were today, but sadly I had bigger fish to fry.

I somehow managed to shag up my headset, last night. (Pride and Fall springs instantly to mind)
Worryingly I have no idea what I've done wrong.

There was noise coming from the front end, mainly some serious rattling when on rough ground.
I stripped the whole lot out. Cleaned, regreased, and put in new bearings.

Putting it all together I couldn't tighten the top nut, without it locking the front forks.
As it was, loose, my bike still rode like an unbroken horse indiscriminately pulling left or right.

Today's ride has at least now allowed me to tighten the nut fully, but it still sounds rough.
I've had it all apart and can't see a single thing wrong.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wish I could tell you how fabulously rollingly smooth the PR4's were today, but sadly I had bigger fish to fry.

I somehow managed to shag up my headset, last night. (Pride and Fall springs instantly to mind)
Worryingly I have no idea what I've done wrong.

There was noise coming from the front end, mainly some serious rattling when on rough ground.
I stripped the whole lot out. Cleaned, regreased, and put in new bearings.

Putting it all together I couldn't tighten the top nut, without it locking the front forks.
As it was, loose, my bike still rode like an unbroken horse indiscriminately pulling left or right.

Today's ride has at least now allowed me to tighten the nut fully, but it still sounds rough.
I've had it all apart and can't see a single thing wrong.

Clutching at straws here and probably only telling granny how to suck eggs - plus whatever other cliches you want to chuck in for good measure, but......

You definitely have put the stem and top cap back on in the right order haven't you? Only I didn't the one and only time I did mine, so despite tightening the top cap up to the point of breaking a bit of it off, everything was still loose. A new top cap and youtube tutorial soon had me sorted luckily.

As I say, you've done it before so probably wouldn't make such a mistake, but just a thought.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here