Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Really? We are not Manchester United. Our entire first team wage bill next year will be around £35,000,000. That averages £26,900 per week per player in a 25 man first team squad.

I know Burnley have managed it and well done to them, I just cannot see Brighton not signing at least one marquee player. I would however be surprised to see your wage bill at just £35m if I am honest

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I know Burnley have managed it and well done to them, I just cannot see Brighton not signing at least one marquee player. I would however be surprised to see your wage bill at just £35m if I am honest

Prepare to be surprised, we don't do big wages.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That is a fair point. It is a difficult one as I think Brighton should sign some big names whilst not gambling the ranch, however it would put potential issues in place with the current squad

We may push the boat out and entice a big name with signing on fee, but it is big wages that cripple clubs and we will not go down that road again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is a fair point. It is a difficult one as I think Brighton should sign some big names whilst not gambling the ranch, however it would put potential issues in place with the current squad

Prepare to be surprised, we don't do big wages.
But Tony does love a bonus.

I wonder if those pro Defoe are also taking into account the signing bonus:-

Chelsea defender John Terry, 37, has been offered the chance to join Chinese Super League side Tianjin Quanjian when he leaves Stamford Bridge at the end of the season. (Sun)

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Chelsea defender John Terry, 37, has been offered the chance to join Chinese Super League side Tianjin Quanjian when he leaves Stamford Bridge at the end of the season. (Sun)

Apparently one Prem club has offered Terry a signing on fee of 5m and 100k wages. Working out at over 10m for a season, personally find that offer mindboggling.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Its stupid that we would not want a striker with his goal scoring record in the premier league, but i just dont see him fitting in with our style of play.

I actually agree after thinking about it. If we play 4-4-2 who does Defoe replace? He's not a target man like Murray and he's not going to run himself in to the ground like Baldock does.

I'd rather we got Shane Long in, think he'd work much better in our squad.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I actually agree after thinking about it. If we play 4-4-2 who does Defoe replace? He's not a target man like Murray and he's not going to run himself in to the ground like Baldock does.

I'd rather we got Shane Long in, think he'd work much better in our squad.

I guess you have not watched Sunderland this season and last, he is one of the only players trying and has constantly done exactly that, where do you think he has got most of his goals from?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
But Tony does love a bonus.

Thats exactly it, his wages may not be high but if he gets a £2/3 signing bonus then he will still make his money

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here