Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I been saying this football team wrong all my life?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Bury FC that is.

I've always pronounced it the same as "Berry" but I've just been watching the "accidental goal" incident on the Bury FC player and he clearly pronounces it Burry, to rhyme with flurry. Have I been wrong all these years or is it an ignorant commentator?

The accent in some parts of Lancashire is quite strong, so people from Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc. will often say Burry.
Having lived in Stockport for the last 14 years, I can tell you that the rest of the North West call them Berry.

Who's correct, who knows? 😀

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Bury FC that is.

I've always pronounced it the same as "Berry" but I've just been watching the "accidental goal" incident on the Bury FC player and he clearly pronounces it Burry, to rhyme with flurry. Have I been wrong all these years or is it an ignorant commentator?

I know just how you feel !! for me It was only on Match of the day at the week end that i realized after all these years its not actually pronounced Croyden scum apparently its pronounced crystal palace (krisstarl pal arse) oh well you live and learn

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I have to admit that I've never been quite sure of the 'correct' way to say Bury so I tend to just change it each time. Thus far, no-one's noticed or cared enough to say anything.

I do say Shrewsbury as Shroosebury now though, after chatting to a couple of the natives a while back...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the biggest change in names is Ajax, I recall Sportsnight with Coleman, the name always being pronounced as A-Jacks and then after a few years for some strange reason it changes to I-axe.

Anyway back up north, its Berry

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Have there been many footballers that have had a similar issue/change in pronunciation?

I can only think of Jermaine Jenas (Jen-us to Gee-nus) and Phil Jagielka (Jagielka to Yagielka), though I'm sure there have to be more.

I appreciate that the examples above might be the correct way of doing it but it's very noticeable when it first happens.

I can only think of Jermaine Jenas (Jen-us to Gee-nus) and Phil Jagielka (Jagielka to Yagielka), though I'm sure there have to be more.

My sister in law lived next door to the Jagielka's (Chorlton, Manchester) and babysat the boys as kids, the father used to pronounce his name, Yey-ghel-Kah, despite what they call him on MOTD I'm sure he knows his own name

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
James Alexander Gordon used to say "Berry".

That's good enough for me!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The accent in some parts of Lancashire is quite strong, so people from Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc. will often say Burry.
Having lived in Stockport for the last 14 years, I can tell you that the rest of the North West call them Berry.

Who's correct, who knows? 😀

Concur with this (as another South Mancunian). Proper broad Lancastrians - someone with an accent like David Lloyd for example - say Burry; apart from that it's generally pronounced Berry, or possibly Berra.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Parham.

Is it 'PAHRAM' or 'PARRAM'

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I had a business in Bath Street 'up north' and when ordering goods for delivery I always got a "Where?" when I said Barth as opposed to Baaaath.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You get funny looks if you ask for a coke in Hull. Apparently it's correctly pronounced coooooooooooorrrrrrk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here