Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hikers Rest

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The Albion in Albion Hill was closed when I walked past it on Saturday, screens up in the windows, has been up for sale for a few months.

Yep, it's gone. Had a number of wakes in there for family members over the years. Shame. Hope The Napier remains, as that's the other pub we generally use for wakes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Lectern on Lewes Road. Closed & sold. Does anyone have any ideas who has purchased it and what is going to become?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Lectern on Lewes Road. Closed & sold. Does anyone have any ideas who has purchased it and what is going to become?
I thought it had just been refurbished recently?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It's perfectly possible to run a pub at a profit. The problem is that even more money can be made by closing pubs down and turning them into either shops or housing.

Most PubCo's have this as a key deliverable in their business model.... Off load plots of land/premises which aren't reaching targets, with at least a 40% profit........ they actually strangle landlords with unfavourable increases in rents or tied purchasing terms....run the business down, offload for big profit.....its a short term big gain modus operandi, but it's degrading the community culture of our society......free houses are just about surviving, if well run.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Most PubCo's have this as a key deliverable in their business model.... Off load plots of land/premises which aren't reaching targets, with at least a 40% profit........ they actually strangle landlords with unfavourable increases in rents or tied purchasing terms....run the business down, offload for big profit.....its a short term big gain modus operandi, but it's degrading the community culture of our society......free houses are just about surviving, if well run.

This.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
"From the towns all Inns have been driven: from the villages most.... Change your hearts or you will lose your Inns and you will deserve to have lost them. But when you have lost your Inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."

He may have been French (or at least French-born), but Hilaire Belloc knew how the game worked.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

The problem is that they then go and purchase another pub that is doing OK, change it so it isn't. do the same thing and we lose another pub and gain another convenience store!

I can understand why Co-Op are after the Hikers, but it will kill off the other grocers around the corner, and with one empty plot there already where the sweetshop used to be, that won't be good.

I'll be supporting any action locally to try and stop this from happening.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The problem is that they then go and purchase another pub that is doing OK, change it so it isn't. do the same thing and we lose another pub and gain another convenience store!

I can understand why Co-Op are after the Hikers, but it will kill off the other grocers around the corner, and with one empty plot there already where the sweetshop used to be, that won't be good.

I'll be supporting any action locally to try and stop this from happening.

Worth having a read over this site

http://www.camra.org.uk/saving-your-local-pub

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I've never been in the Hikers Rest but I run what was once a very similar pub in High Wycombe. I pass the HR on the way to The Amex and from the outside it looks grim - dingy paint, unwashed net curtains, the muddle of recycling bins outside and generally it looks a rough old place better avoided. I've always thought that our formula here - basically strippers every day of the week - would work there on match days and probably other days as well. It is possible to make a profit and a living from a pub owned by one of the big pub companies (this is) but you do pay them well for the privilege. Anyone know who the pub co is? – I don’t mind trying! It is possible to make a profit and a living from a pub owned by one of the big pubcos (this is) but you do pay them well for the privilege.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've never been in the Hikers Rest but I run what was once a very similar pub in High Wycombe. I pass the HR on the way to The Amex and from the outside it looks grim - dingy paint, unwashed net curtains, the muddle of recycling bins outside and generally it looks a rough old place better avoided. I've always thought that our formula here - basically strippers every day of the week - would work there on match days and probably other days as well. It is possible to make a profit and a living from a pub owned by one of the big pub companies (this is) but you do pay them well for the privilege. Anyone know who the pub co is? – I don’t mind trying! It is possible to make a profit and a living from a pub owned by one of the big pubcos (this is) but you do pay them well for the privilege.

I think it was Intrepenneur when my last boss applied for it 2000 ish so would think it is Enterprise.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

The White Horse??

Wasn't that on that Britains Dodgiest pubs program??

Aug 7, 2014
All down to the pub co's.

If they bought the pub for £500,000 and a developer offers £700,000 for the freehold. Punch Taverns/ Enterprise Inns etc will simply analyse that particular pub, work out hold long they would need to hold onto to in order to make £200,000 profit. If the answer comes back '****in ages'. Sell it and buy a new asset.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not another pub :nono::nono::nono: use your local or you will lose it! Cuckfield are losing or lost 3 of it 6 pubs that's 50% of it pubs
Haywards Heath has lost 5 Pubs and 2 bars that I can remember since I lived in the Heath Burgess hill have lost The Royal George Kings Head and the Junction not small pubs! We have had a few new pubs in Burgess Hill and Heath but often these are big chains doing the same sort of food! And boring!
just heard today that they may have had a change of mind re the White Hart Cuckfield lets hope so. Save the Village pubs.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It's perfectly possible to run a pub at a profit. The problem is that even more money can be made by closing pubs down and turning them into either shops or housing.

If the government won't pass laws to prevent this, then the local council should refuse planning applications to change the use of community buildings, like The Hikers, where there are no alternative licensed premises within a reasonable distance.

At present, planning permission is not required to change from a pub to a shop / supermarket. Pressure groups are asking Government to change this.

I imagine that the supermarkets and pubcos contribute significant £ to political parties so it will probably take significant public pressure to encourage Government to consider the change.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If the government won't pass laws to prevent this, then the local council should refuse planning applications to change the use of community buildings, like The Hikers, where there are no alternative licensed premises within a reasonable distance.

The PubCos seem to be property businesses as opposed to pub companies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here