Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rome - any advice?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Just be careful crossing roads. Look both ways several times and cross yourself

Exactly my first memory of Rome. Once I worked out how to cross then I could enjoy the whole of Rome. Firstly I tried using a crossing - the lights go red, the green man comes up, traffic carries on as normal. So my guide to crossing the road is:
- Put on your sunglasses
- Lift your head to the air with an arrogant nonchalance
- Do not even turn your head to look for cars (to do so would admit weakness and permit drivers to go for you)
- Calmly stroll across the road allowing cars to flow around you like a rock in water
- Sigh with relief when (if) you make it alive to the other side

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If you go to the Coliseum, its definitely worth wandering through the Forum and then up to the Piazza Venezia - then head straight along the road to Piazza del Popolo. Lovely sights.

We found a small side street (Borgo Pio) running parallel to the Via della Conciliazione which the Vatican City is on. There are a number of nice restaurants all with tables outside as the road is pedestrians only. Bit touristy as its so close to the Popes place, but good food.

Loved wandering through the Villa Borghese too - nice little cafe there.

We only spent a weekend there, but walked everywhere (with a baby in a pushchair) without any hassles at all. Love the place.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Looking for a few days in Rome, I've never been before so I don't know the city. Any suggestions as to what to see. Looking for a good hotel within walking distance of main bits.

NSC knows everything about everything, so over to you guys.

What did they ever do for you?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
DO NOT hire a car and try to drive around the place... :eek:

Seriously it's a great City to wander around to look at the sights and food & drink is wonderful almost everywhere you go but keep a good eye on your wallets/cameras/phones etc.
This.

This. Father in law says that Italians drive like maniacs. Road signs, lights etc are treated like advise rather than orders.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Go.See.Conquer.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
We went down to Monte Cassino - about two hours train outside the city - and a real break
from the traffic etc

we had a superb tour guide -

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Looking for a few days in Rome, I've never been before so I don't know the city. Any suggestions as to what to see. Looking for a good hotel within walking distance of main bits.

NSC knows everything about everything, so over to you guys.

I refer you to my post on [MENTION=638]Bigtomfu[/MENTION]'s thread.

The Capuchin crypt on Via Vittorio Veneto is decorated with the remains of Capuchin monks and if you keep walking you'll get to Villa Borghese where there is a great big lovely old park.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
2960A76A00000578-0-image-a-12_1472732959185.jpg

Sistine Chapel is worth a visit, best known as the place where Michael Angelo muttered the immortal words, "They want WHAT on the ****ing ceiling? Well, I'm just gonna paint a load of dudes with their dicks out."

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wonderful city. We stayed there earlier this year at Hotel IQ a short walk from the main station. Everything was within walking distance although we took a taxi to the Vatican for a half day tour which was breathtaking. Colessium, Pantheon, Palatine Hill - so much to see. Spanish Steps were all boarded up and a bit of a disappointment. Villa Borghese has beautiful views although I was a little put off as was following last seasons home game vs Burnley via twiiter :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
another vote for the Pantheon and the square it sits in.

you can easily walk everywhere (just about) - all the usual things colliseum, forum, trevi fountain, vatican. Great city - not quite venice or Florence but still lovely!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
it's a wonderful City Italian City's all have there fair share of crooks from the pickpocket to the taxi drivers always looking to earn a few extra Euro Just try not to look to much like a tourist and have your wits about you and you will have a great time.

Romes highlights will always be different from person to person but for me the Vatican City and museum, The Apion way, The Ancient city walls, The traffic, the Roman Forum, Constantines arch, The Romans going about their daily lives.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Do not walk into any fancy looking ice cream shops near the Spanish Steps thinking you'll treat yourself. You can't see the prices and will end up holding a £20 icecream.

Good point, eating anywhere near one of the tourist attractions won't be cheap. If you fancy picking something up it's worth doing as far from them as possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here