Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastily arranged deal

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I took Naylors comment to mean that as the club looked like missing out on any more significant signings, the club got Bobby in as a last resort to deflect criticism and shut up the whingers.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Depends what he means by 'contact' is this the official approach as I had heard Bobby had made it clear at start of summer he was interested in a return but the club were unsure about his hip issues. I imagine there has been unofficial dialogue for some weeks but the official offer was received in last few days

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Why would Bobby sign earlier and lose out on a month's high wages? I'm in no doubt the deal was done in June but they waited, which is why Bozza suggested it might be a good idea to put some small amount of money on it in June (thanks, that will pay for the first few months at the Amex).
Sounds to me AN is covering his back a bit. Gotta feel a little for him, he's lost his contacts and is being shot down time after time in public. I've no beef with him, I've just unfollowed him as Bozza and (one or two on )NSC know more.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I took Naylors comment to mean that as the club looked like missing out on any more significant signings, the club got Bobby in as a last resort to deflect criticism and shut up the whingers.
And now get back in the real world, do you think a man as astute as our Tony gives a shite about a few moaners?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Depends what he means by 'contact' is this the official approach as I had heard Bobby had made it clear at start of summer he was interested in a return but the club were unsure about his hip issues. I imagine there has been unofficial dialogue for some weeks but the official offer was received in last few days
Hughton said on the FL72 live thingy that this had been on our minds for "some time". Bobby has also said he was holding out for this, he wouldn't have done that in the desperate hope the phone might ring, this one has been on the pipeline for some time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Zamora had mentioned to a few people (including our resident airport man on here) that he wanted to come back but that he'd heard that Hughton wasn't hot on it.

So it's entirely possible his agent had contacted the club but that the club hadn't made an offer back. Which means Naylor could well be right in that he was told that zamora wasn't in our plans, and also now when he says contact was made on Friday.

Didn't Virgo intimate something on Sunday that Hughton wasn't sure?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Basically, it's Naylor's way of saying "I was right all summer in saying nothing was happening, the club just changed their mind on Friday". Purely a way of retaining some credibility (which I can understand)

That's how I read it, after the Argus' ill-informed editorial basically saying we should not / won't re-sign Bobby. Looking a bit silly now...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

I think it's entirely possible that we'd been targeting a younger man, but went for BZ when that feel through.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
This is the way I view it.
Except BZ contradicts him by saying he was "holding out for Brighton". So someone's not telling the truth.

You were watching Live92 this morning from the training ground and an brief interview with BZ, weren't you, as was I. He seemed very happy and CH confirmed it was all done very quickly mostly due to BZ being so keen.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My information is that Mr Naylor is and was correct. Zamora was on the radar but not high up the list of targets. If he had been, the deal could have been done a long time ago and BZ could have had a pre-season with us and sold a load more shirts and season tickets.

Instead, him signing four days before the first game of the season smacks of desperation on both sides. I presume and hope that the contract is heavily loaded towards appearances - and, obviously, that we end up paying out!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
You were watching Live92 this morning from the training ground and an brief interview with BZ, weren't you, as was I. He seemed very happy and CH confirmed it was all done very quickly mostly due to BZ being so keen.

No I wasn't watching it.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
My information is that Mr Naylor is and was correct. Zamora was on the radar but not high up the list of targets. If he had been, the deal could have been done a long time ago and BZ could have had a pre-season with us and sold a load more shirts and season tickets.

Instead, him signing four days before the first game of the season smacks of desperation on both sides. I presume and hope that the contract is heavily loaded towards appearances - and, obviously, that we end up paying out!

Most likely wages ment that BZ was not high up on the list. I can't imagine a better forward to get in on a free. The one year contract suggests to me that it's good for both player and Club. I'm not sure either party were necessarily desperate, some signings just happen at a certain time for a whole host of reasons. With regard to appearances I hope BZ starts alongside Hemed or Baldock at the Amex, he'll play 60 mins and hopefully we'll be 2-0 up at that stage, job done. Away from home is when I think we'll see 20 minutes here or there.

Stumpy Tim

Sounds to me AN is covering his back a bit. Gotta feel a little for him, he's lost his contacts and is being shot down time after time in public. I've no beef with him, I've just unfollowed him as Bozza and (one or two on )NSC know more.

To be fair, there are no insiders now. Only 3-4 people within the club know who is on the radar, though selected people in the media (and NSC is the media) get a heads-up an hour or two before the official announcements.That's why no one knows anything about our signings until they happen

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Zamora had mentioned to a few people (including our resident airport man on here) that he wanted to come back but that he'd heard that Hughton wasn't hot on it.

Didn't Virgo intimate something on Sunday that Hughton wasn't sure?

Yes, and that Jones had been attempting to change Houghton's mind (apparently Jones and Bobby are thick as thieves). It wasn't that Houghton was dead against it, and it seemed clear that there was a process, which means the manager has lots of things and possibilities to think about, and Bobby had other offers, and fitness and injury situation needed to be assessed. One assumes he was invited to pop in just as his QPR money finished. All completely normal.

Personally I am please AN has come unstuck. He has a very long track record of peevish, negative ill informed articles in the Evening Anus. He is a Stoke supporter. There has been some rapprochment with the club in the last 10 years (things used to be worse) but he is not a BHA fan, just an 'impartial' journo.

Still very happy about the signing this morning. Non BHA mates have been texting congratulations (meant sincerely).

Stumpy Tim

Though him signing four days before the start of the season is a fantastic PR exercise, and adds a level of momentum to the club going into the season. Suddenly every fan is on the up.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Naylor said there was no contact from the club until last Friday.
As usual Naylor has no idea what he is talking about.

I posted on quite a few threads back in May before the end of the season, that we had spoken to Zamora and that it would be a last minute deal. By that I presumed September 1st, not a few days before the start of the season!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

My take on things. Have all the other first/second/third choice avenues been closed to the club and hasty replacement being made. Hope not but was my reading of the article.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I understand where you are coming from but it doesn't suggest desperation in the same way that the likes of David Gonzalez, Paddy McCourt and Chris O'Grady did to me when they signed. If Zamora is whom we sign when we get to desperate stakes, it's an improvement on the 3 previous transfer windows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here