Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton rewarded with new contract

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's going to take a fair wedge to shift Knocky I reckon. Only 6 months into his contract, what do you reckon would shift Tony to letting our key winger go? £6m, £8m, £10m? I'd put him up there such was his impact.

That's my thinking too. There may be some clubs interested - the report I read said Watford were considering £5m -that won't do it. I do think clubs will be loath to spend big on a player who couldn't cut it in the PL just two years ago

Indeed. It seems clear to me that we are the sort of club that won't stand in anybody's way once they've done their time, but Goldson and Knocky have barely been here half a season, they are much valued and are seemingly very happy. Honestly, the only two players I think we might lose and find difficult to replace are Dunk and Stephens, and even that is hardly a foregone conclusion.

Of course all players have their price, but IMO nobody else will go unless our management consider it remarkably good business and already have a better player lined up.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
At the end of the day, it is up to the player whether he wants to go or not. If he desperately wants to go then the club will not stand in his way. But for someone who was rejected by Leicester and then hated it in Belgium, he is now loving his football again and the other day tweeted that we had the best team spirit ever. Would he be happy to go and sit on the bench for a PL side? I doubt it.

It is the team spirit that will keep this side together imo. Not one of this team would walk into a PL side. If they actually want to play and enjoy their football, they will stay. I reckon that we are now the most attractive club in the Championship - best manager, best facilities, best chairman, best team spirit.

Couldn't have put it better and let's hope that Dunk being a Brighton lad, plus his blossoming bromance with Goldson counts for something, Greer moving into the marital bed notwithstanding.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
PL squads can still only contain 25 players though - are they really going to buy lots more who'll have to just sit in the canteen or be loaned out to the Championship if they are lucky ?

Wasn't that one of the reasons why Goldson ignored Premier club interest ..because he wanted to play football....he sat it out for a while but knew he would get his chance and grabbed it with both hands

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This news has immediately cheered me up.

As I said elsewhere, if we keep the top talent then this is our easiest summer of recruitment in a LONG time

Another centre back (if Greer goes)
Another central midfielder (would be delighted if sidwell stayed)
A squad striker (maybe a loan)
1 MEGA striker. I think this is the summer we can really justify over 75% of the budget going on a star player. Our squad as a whole is lovely, just needs that sprinkling of stardust. Gray at Burnley is the ultimate example.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Stephens tweeted about the disappointment becoming our drive.

Did he ?

That's interesting. So much for that Burnley fan I had a disagreement with on here who said it was signed and sealed he was moving to Burnley and I said that it wasn't and he would be the last player that Chris would sell if he could avoid it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Couldn't have put it better and let's hope that Dunk being a Brighton lad, plus his blossoming bromance with Goldson counts for something, Greer moving into the marital bed notwithstanding.

I don't think Dunk himself is the problem. I just think he has an Agent who fills his head with all sorts of nonsense

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The disappointment of not getting promotion is the drive for next season with us. Signed off with white and blue. Speaks volumes. He is very much a part of CHs plans imo and will be going nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He is indeed..........I always jokingly refer to him as ''golden boy'' and joke to Chris that the ink must be un-removable ink on the teamsheet. Just wonder how they managed to get it off when he got suspended

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Yea I saw this before and was encouraged by it.

He's been absolutely immense all season and my player of the season.

Many have said he's not as passionate as the rest, but that's not necessarily a bad thing nor does it reflect that he's not committed to the club. He's calm and assured, just the kind of player we needed in the middle of the park the last 2 and a half games, though Sidwell didn't disappoint.

Hope he extends.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Indeed. It seems clear to me that we are the sort of club that won't stand in anybody's way once they've done their time, but Goldson and Knocky have barely been here half a season, they are much valued and are seemingly very happy. Honestly, the only two players I think we might lose and find difficult to replace are Dunk and Stephens, and even that is hardly a foregone conclusion.

Of course all players have their price, but IMO nobody else will go unless our management consider it remarkably good business and already have a better player lined up.

The problem as I see it, is that there will be very little trading between the Premier League clubs. Now the new TV deal has kicked in, Everton can afford to turn down £40 mill for Stones from Chelsea, Bournemouth can tell West Ham to do one for £25 million and each and every club will have a war chest.

The obvious place to buy players outside of Spain and Germany (who I'm sure will also get pillaged) would be the stand out side in the Championship who didn't go up..........

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The problem as I see it, is that there will be very little trading between the Premier League clubs. Now the new TV deal has kicked in, Everton can afford to turn down £40 mill for Stones from Chelsea, Bournemouth can tell West Ham to do one for £25 million and each and every club will have a war chest.

The obvious place to buy players outside of Spain and Germany (who I'm sure will also get pillaged) would be the stand out side in the Championship who didn't go up..........

The thing is, the kind of clubs that will be after them won't be able to guarantee one or both of the following:

1) First team football;
2) Survival in the league.

So if they go, it will be for the money alone, or personal reasons.

I think, or at least hope, they will all reflect the ambition of the club and believe we can do it this coming season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Everton can afford to turn down £40 mill for Stones from Chelsea, Bournemouth can tell West Ham to do one for £25 million and each and every club will have a war chest.

Still don't see this. I just can't see Chelsea, having lost out on Stones, will try to replace him with Dunk. He's good but he's not the sort of player that you'd see in a PL winning team. Chelsea do need a CB but they can afford to buy an established international. And yes, they could still go for him but he'd be fourth choice and would get little game time.

As I said earlier, clubs will want quality rather than quantity and good as ours are, I can't see any becoming first choice in an established PL team. They could well go to teams in the lower half of the table but a) would they go and b) would those lower teams pay the price that we'd demand?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure Knocky is consistent enough for a prem team. Any scouts watching some of his away performances will be a bit circumspect (I hope)

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Not sure Knocky is consistent enough for a prem team. Any scouts watching some of his away performances will be a bit circumspect (I hope)
Not consistent enough for Leicester and has had the odd 'off day' with us too. Still, we still love him for what he has done for us so far

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Not consistent enough for Leicester and has had the odd 'off day' with us too. Still, we still love him for what he has done for us so far

Hmmm....

Lost his place to some loser named Mahrez or something.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Get in, few more like that to our top players to scare off competition wouldnt help, then a couple of tweeks and who knows what could happen next season. Is it August yet??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Awarding CH a new contract is the first and most important building block in place for the 2016-17 season. Very well done to the club :clap2:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Still don't see this. I just can't see Chelsea, having lost out on Stones, will try to replace him with Dunk. He's good but he's not the sort of player that you'd see in a PL winning team. Chelsea do need a CB but they can afford to buy an established international. And yes, they could still go for him but he'd be fourth choice and would get little game time.

Dunk would jump at the chance to sign for Chelsea, of course he would. More likely though is something like Stones / Shawcross / Reid to Chelsea, then Dunk to Everton / Stoke / West Ham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here