Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains on Monday- waaaaah! [Update: full match day service]

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And I'm bored of anyone with this sort of narrow minded opinion. The guards (and shortly drivers) are fighting for your safety and security. They are not fighting for better conditions or more money. Do even the tiniest bit of research and you will find the problem is entirely caused by the upper management of GTR and the DFT. In the words of Basil Fawlty - I don't know why we bother, we should let you all burn!

I stand by my original statement if it's that bad go work for someone else.

It's a service industry and one that I use on a daily basis. I pay a lot of money for a service that is pony. I don't care who's fault it is it just needs sorting. The Management may be crap I don't know I don't work for them but what I do know is if I worked for an organisation that treated me as badly as you say they are they treating you then I wouldn't be working there for long.

How the **** are the guards and or drivers fighting for my safety? Every day this week I've been on a train that has been dangerously overcrowded because of cancellations of other services.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

It's a service industry and one that I use on a daily basis. I pay a lot of money for a service that is pony. I don't care who's fault it is it just needs sorting. The Management may be crap I don't know I don't work for them but what I do know is if I worked for an organisation that treated me as badly as you say they are they treating you then I wouldn't be working there for long.

How the **** are the guards and or drivers fighting for my safety? Every day this week I've been on a train that has been dangerously overcrowded because of cancellations of other services.

Clueless, if you took your head out of your POMPOUS backside for once then you may actually see what is going on , not just in the Railway INDUSTRY but other similar instances

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How the **** are the guards and or drivers fighting for my safety?

:wozza:

Commuter familiarity breeds contempt. A train weighs hundreds of tons and although it usually, eventually, gets from A to B without incident, the onboard train crew are there for the times when it doesn't. Would you fly in an aircraft with a locked cockpit and no flight attendants? I'm sure Ryanair would let you, given half a chance.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I really can't be bothered to go into the details all over again but there is a whole thread devoted to this subject but rest assured if the guards and drivers don't fight now then your service from GTR will be forever more infinitely less safe, more expensive and subject to many more delays.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I understand that Southern Trains have been placed on the endangered list as there are so few of them these days.

If you should see one on Monday night can you please note the time and location, to assist this is what one should look like.

train.jpg

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I really can't be bothered to go into the details all over again but there is a whole thread devoted to this subject but rest assured if the guards and drivers don't fight now then your service from GTR will be forever more infinitely less safe, more expensive and subject to many more delays.

Utter ****ing bollocks. You're concerned about losing your jobs. Nothing to do with my or anyone elses safety.

I have no problem with people being upset about losing their jobs. That's human nature I guess but what I don't buy is how someone opening a door or telling me where a train is stopping is improving my safety. In 10 or 20 years time we'll have it all again when they look at rolling out driverless trains.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Utter ****ing bollocks. You're concerned about losing your jobs. Nothing to do with my or anyone elses safety.

Total shite. Just because it hasn't affected you personally. Have you, for example, ever been on the Brighton West Coast line when the schools come out of an afternoon? Hundreds of manic teens running about all over the platforms and sometimes alongside the trains as they pull out of the station. The driver has to keep his eyes on the line ahead. Who's watching the platform?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Total shite. Just because it hasn't affected you personally. Have you, for example, ever been on the Brighton West Coast line when the schools come out of an afternoon? Hundreds of manic teens running about all over the platforms and sometimes alongside the trains as they pull out of the station. The driver has to keep his eyes on the line ahead. Who's watching the platform?

He knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, just another typical Tory sociopath

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have been advised by Southern Rail that due to staff shortages, they expect severe disruption on Monday evening to their regular services, and that they are unable to provide their usual matchday service.

Southern will be attempting to run their timetabled service, but we have been warned to expect cancellations. Therefore we are advising fans, wherever possible to seek alternative modes of transport, as listed below.

Additionally, due to the possibility of the match going to extra time, and to penalties, the match may finish later than usual. Fans are advised that after 10.30pm Southern Rail will ONLY be running their usual timetabled operation. So please plan for this eventuality, and be patient if queuing at Falmer Station at the end of the match.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/arrive-early-for-big-game-3112835.aspx#SM68o9IxvlVYHXR3.99

Apologies Wozza, blind **** here :)

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Yep, why not? At least with trolley dollies they bring you stingo. Train guards can't even be ****ed to check my ticket.
You cant even read the comments you are slanging off correctly. This one said no flight attendants, for your info they are the trolley dollies which would not be on the plane to bring you stingo. you clearly are speaking a load of cobblers.

el punal

On that note: Southern have tweeted, today is officially 'TrainDay UK'

Have a truly wonderful Happy TrainDay everyone. Whether Hallmark have produced a card for this special day, I'm not certain.

If they have it will be in the "With Deepest Sympathy" section. I am now beginning to hate Southern Railways with a complete vengeance. They have cocked up so many of my trips to watch the Albion this season it just doesn't bear thinking about. And now my daughter is travelling down from London to watch the game, the question is will she make the game at all, and if she does will she be able get back home?

SASTA = :tosser: x 100

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a bit long but I was pissed off.

Dear Mr Horton

I used to be a regular user of your train service. However, I got rather fed up with paying nearly five thousand pounds a year, only for that service to be regularly withdrawn from me, and helped to institute a remote working policy at my company instead. A move that was enthusiastically taken up depriving you of not just my annual season ticket revenue but probably in the region of fifteen thousand pounds altogether. If only I'd know that was just the tip of the non-service iceberg.

Next week I need to use your service (why I'm still calling it that I don't know. Let's instead call if an occasional attempt) on just two occasions. The first time I would be in need of an occasional attempt would be to get me and my son to a football match on Monday night. Along with twenty eight thousand or so other people. I have just been informed that your attempt on Monday may not even be occasional. In short you will not be providing an adequate service, which is a shame because I have already paid for it as part of the ticket.

I have three stark choices. Pay again for a coach service or taxi, risk my nine year old son being stranded at Falmer past midnight or tell him he can no longer go to the biggest game of the season. I think I shall opt for the coach, which will be an additional eight pounds. A cheque for that amount would be nice but I won't hold my breath.

I will also need to use your occasional attempt on Wednesday to get to a company meeting in London. This will be even harder since you will probably not be providing a service at all. Shame that attendance is mandatory. "Ah but our nasty guards are on strike, the bolshy troublemakers" you will say, or words to that effect. So a few questions about that and your lack of ability to provide a service on Monday, when they are not on strike, that you are contracted to.

1) Why are you "short staffed" all the time? I'll give you a multiple choice on this. Is it a) you are not paying your bolshy guards overtime, b) you are too stupid to hire enough staff or c) both of the above?

2) Why do you believe that Driver Only Operated (DOO) trains are safe? In the two instance in which I want to avail myself of your occasional attempt - the football and the rush hour - your inadequate number of carriages are always filled to overcrowding. Only tunnels and the third rail seem to prevent the Indian solution being taken up. The number of near miss safety incidents at both that I have seen over the years is staggering. London Bridge only involves me. The aforementioned nine year old son is a factor in the football crowd. They are NOT dispatched safely now with guards and platform staff. How can removing those people make things better (by better I do not mean "more profits" I mean a better service which you are contractually obliged to provide)?

3) How can you justify taking money from Brighton and Hove Albion football club to provide a service and then not provide it? Will Tony Bloom be getting a refund?

A copy of this email will be sent to my MP with a call for you to lose your franchise immediately on the basis that you are not providing a service and you're barely providing an occasional attempt.

You understand I'm dissatisfied with your service, right?

Yours sincerely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here