Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker Street: Brighton's Best Kept Secret?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Suddenly struck me today as I was leaving Bangers pie shop with two hearty chicken 'n' mushroom pies AND a serious sausage roll AND change from a fiver, what an absolute quality street is Baker Street. For those poor unfortunates that don't know it, it's just off London Road and behind the Open Market. In this one street you've got aforesaid glorious Bangers pie shop, PLUS unreconstructed Harveys pub The Mitre Tavern. PLUS Brighton's best pet shop A Coombs. PLUS Brighton's best fish'n'chip shop Bardsley's. PLUS Jools (and Geordie Paul) splendid barbershop. PLUS a very decent picture framing shop. And that's all just off the top of m
If you've not been, go soon, before it gets swallowed up in the jaws of gentrification. We won't see its like again.

Got my brighton tattoo there,🍬 or something

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That whole London Road area has for years been a dump, it has improved over the last 3 years but the London Road area is still not exactly a desirable area to live but not the absolute dump that it used to be. So no not Brighton's best kept secret unless you are a student perhaps

Not so long ago there was some graffiti that read 'stop the gentrification of London Road,' which made me laugh. I think there's some way to go before that's a real danger. That said, there's now plenty of reasons to use the full two hours at the Sainsbury's car park. Kouzina in the Open Market, for example. Lovely Greek food.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That whole London Road area has for years been a dump, it has improved over the last 3 years but the London Road area is still not exactly a desirable area to live but not the absolute dump that it used to be. So no not Brighton's best kept secret unless you are a student perhaps

London Road used to be a great shopping area, many years ago, when the Coop was a department store. Then it went downhill gradually over the decades.
Baker Street is unchanged from that decline over decades, which is why posters are discussing it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This.
I recollect a chap popping in asking what food was on. He appeared somewhat unimpressed with the deadpan offer between two varieties of pork scratching and left as quickly as he arrived. Never change Mitre Tavern!

similar happened to me, but they were offered the last pickled egg that looked like it had been there years

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Rem using the Baker Street Bike shop in the 70's for bit 'n bobs for my bike.
Also bought my first TV from the Co-op - that store was great for passing some time to kill - toys, sports, electrical departments - happy days ....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Suddenly struck me today as I was leaving Bangers pie shop with two hearty chicken 'n' mushroom pies AND a serious sausage roll AND change from a fiver, what an absolute quality street is Baker Street. For those poor unfortunates that don't know it, it's just off London Road and behind the Open Market. In this one street you've got aforesaid glorious Bangers pie shop, PLUS unreconstructed Harveys pub The Mitre Tavern. PLUS Brighton's best pet shop A Coombs. PLUS Brighton's best fish'n'chip shop Bardsley's. PLUS Jools (and Geordie Paul) splendid barbershop. PLUS a very decent picture framing shop. And that's all just off the top of me head.

If you've not been, go soon, before it gets swallowed up in the jaws of gentrification. We won't see its like again.

Spot on. Hurry up before it goes the way of the Open Market which has been horribly gentrified. Loads of twee stalls and shops selling useless crap.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not so long ago there was some graffiti that read 'stop the gentrification of London Road,' which made me laugh. I think there's some way to go before that's a real danger. That said, there's now plenty of reasons to use the full two hours at the Sainsbury's car park. Kouzina in the Open Market, for example. Lovely Greek food.

This. In fact, the Open Market has several decent outlets.

The Flying Saucer does some of the best coffee, and that's in the face of an enormous amount of competition. There is the falafel bar in the opposite corner. If you want to buy some octopus, the seafood stall just outside the market is very good (if a little pricey). The best (and amongst the cheapest) bacon and eggs are to be found at Ovett's (cheaper than the supermarkets). Even the greasy spoon in the OM is pretty reasonable.

Then there's the sausage rolls at McStrong's, the oriental food shop, and even an on-site potter, complete with wheel and kiln.

Not to mention Radio Reverb - tickling your ears rather than taste buds.

The less said about the tutu shop next door to us, though, the better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This. In fact, the Open Market has several decent outlets.

The Flying Saucer does some of the best coffee, and that's in the face of an enormous amount of competition. There is the falafel bar in the opposite corner. If you want to buy some octopus, the seafood stall just outside the market is very good (if a little pricey). The best (and amongst the cheapest) bacon and eggs are to be found at Ovett's (cheaper than the supermarkets). Even the greasy spoon in the OM is pretty reasonable.

Then there's the sausage rolls at McStrong's, the oriental food shop, and even an on-site potter, complete with wheel and kiln.

Not to mention Radio Reverb - tickling your ears rather than taste buds.

The less said about the tutu shop next door to us, though, the better.

As a young lad I worked in a wet fish shop and always remember the owner telling me that you can only smell a fish shop if it hasnt been cleaned down properly and the smell then lingers and I note that when I walk past the fish stalls in the open market. I would point out that the one near Malpass in Southwick never smells of fish but most stalls in supermarkets do as does the shop in Sydney Rd Haywards Heath. You can guess where I buy my fish if ever it is not caught by my brother in law.

IMHO the best stall in the Open Market is Ovetts bacon and cheese. Streets up in the corner is good VFM and perhaps you may know the answer but why does the public toilets have a code number lock on the front door?

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I saw a wasp in the window of Coombs

"How much is that wasp?" I asked.

The shopkeeper replied "Don't be a f***ing idiot and get out of my shop."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I saw a wasp in the window of Coombs

"How much is that wasp?" I asked.

The shopkeeper replied "Don't be a f***ing idiot and get out of my shop."

:)

I DO remember telling the kids when they were little that I was taking them to the zoo - and then taking them to Coombs.

#cheapskateDad

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As a young lad I worked in a wet fish shop and always remember the owner telling me that you can only smell a fish shop if it hasnt been cleaned down properly and the smell then lingers and I note that when I walk past the fish stalls in the open market. I would point out that the one near Malpass in Southwick never smells of fish but most stalls in supermarkets do as does the shop in Sydney Rd Haywards Heath. You can guess where I buy my fish if ever it is not caught by my brother in law.

IMHO the best stall in the Open Market is Ovetts bacon and cheese. Streets up in the corner is good VFM and perhaps you may know the answer but why does the public toilets have a code number lock on the front door?

Is Ovett's owned and run by relations to Steve?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here