Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know Tom Lawrence is an NSC made up rumour, but he'd do and even one top calibre forward like Kodija or some prolific Italian or Croatian that nobody has heard of will do. Pace and finishing.

Midfield wise, we do need strength, but for me that really is secondary to a goalscorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think because we're not as attractive to top players this year we are finding it more difficult.

Think about the last few seasons, we were one of the top sides in the Championship which meant in that pool of players we could choose from, we were always one of the favourites if we wanted a player. However, now we're fishing in a new pool, we're one of the new boys on the block and everyone's favourite to go down.

We have our targets but you have to ask yourself, why would a top player come here if there is a real chance that we could go down? It's not as if we're going to pay them huge wages to come here (like Bournemouth appeared to do) especially as no doubt there are other established Prem sides interested as well.

So yes we're finding it tough but I'd like to think the Club thought this would happen and prepared a loooong list of similar players for the positions we need, and they are just working their way through that list.

I'm not expecting much player movement in or out until the last couple of weeks of August.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The other clubs have been discussed before.

Bournemouth signed 11 players in their first PL season
But more than half of their regular first team were players who had won promotion the season before, which suggests that not all those 11 were very good (or were maybe bought for the youth teams).

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I think because we're not as attractive to top players this year we are finding it more difficult.

Think about the last few seasons, we were one of the top sides in the Championship which meant in that pool of players we could choose from, we were always one of the favourites if we wanted a player. However, now we're fishing in a new pool, we're one of the new boys on the block and everyone's favourite to go down.

We have our targets but you have to ask yourself, why would a top player come here if there is a real chance that we could go down? It's not as if we're going to pay them huge wages to come here (like Bournemouth appeared to do) especially as no doubt there are other established Prem sides interested as well.

So yes we're finding it tough but I'd like to think the Club thought this would happen and prepared a loooong list of similar players for the positions we need, and they are just working their way through that list.

I'm not expecting much player movement in or out until the last couple of weeks of August.

So what's the excuse for only having one top championship quality striker in the squad at any one time for the last 4 seasons? It all comes down to money at the end of the day and the club either need to accept that quality strikers come at a high cost or be honest with the fans and admit we are not going to be able to compete

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So what's the excuse for only having one top championship quality striker in the squad at any one time for the last 4 seasons? It all comes down to money at the end of the day and the club either need to accept that quality strikers come at a high cost or be honest with the fans and admit we are not going to be able to compete

Not sure if being serious or not...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But more than half of their regular first team were players who had won promotion the season before, which suggests that not all those 11 were very good (or were maybe bought for the youth teams).

That's normal. No club would play an entire new first eleven and succeed, and all managers (even Taggart) bought duds.

The increased squad of quality gave their managers large squads of quality to pick from and cover for injuries.

The point is those 4 established PL clubs invested heavily on their promotions, on many players, and made it through that critical first season.

In contrast to the approach proposed by some of just a few signings and team sprint, will see us do fine.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We could send £100 million in transfers and still get relegated - there is nothing to bother worrying about. Whoever we sign, the chances are we'll be relegated. Hopefully we make a fist of things and you never know - we might just stay up. A few smart additions will be far more useful to us than throwing money at any Tom, Dick or Harry.

Not sure why everyone's panicking so much, just enjoy the ride! We're Premier League! Whatever happens it looks as though the long term future of our club is assured - that's worth enjoying.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Your top quality players are hedging their bets at this stage, as are clubs from the top down. The big transfers tend to need to happen first with a bit of a trickle down effect. We've done good business so far, but for promoted teams and teams expecting to struggle, you're not generally signing PL experienced players until well into August.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

What like last season when we had Hemed, Murray and Baldock who are all top championship quality strikers?

EDIT: Actually on top of that we had Ulloa and Barnes as a partnership as well!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
That's normal. No club would play an entire new first eleven and succeed, and all managers (even Taggart) bought duds.

The increased squad of quality gave their managers large squads of quality to pick from and cover for injuries.

The point is those 4 established PL clubs invested heavily on their promotions, on many players, and made it through that critical first season.

In contrast to the approach proposed by some of just a few signings and team sprint, will see us do fine.

Middlesbrough invested heavily on their promotion didn't they?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Completely agree with all of this. I think if we were to pay astronomical wages then we would have some players through the door by now. But that's not our style due to the impact on the wider squad. So it's just a waiting game.

Which is why I believe it's ridiculous that the transfer window is open when the season has already started!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We could send £100 million in transfers and still get relegated - there is nothing to bother worrying about.

What a ridiculous way of looking at things. Bringing in quality will improve our chances, and we need serious quality in a couple of positions to stand a fighting chance. That's what a recruitment team is for.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm not worried in the slightest. Still plenty of time until the season starts (and after that). If the brazilian had passed his medical we would have had 4 players in by which compares very favourably with the rest of the league. Plenty of teams haven't signed anyone.

we would also be potentially a winger down injured and possibly a striker. GK left replaced , Poc left replaced so added Gross.

All other teams have proven prem squads bar Hudds , Newcastle and us and they have both strengthened.

I'm not worried but as it stands we are in trouble.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We could send £100 million in transfers and still get relegated - there is nothing to bother worrying about. Whoever we sign, the chances are we'll be relegated. Hopefully we make a fist of things and you never know - we might just stay up. A few smart additions will be far more useful to us than throwing money at any Tom, Dick or Harry.

Not sure why everyone's panicking so much, just enjoy the ride! We're Premier League! Whatever happens it looks as though the long term future of our club is assured - that's worth enjoying.

Nonsense... we will survive if we make the right signings in a timely fashion... acquisition so far is well short of what is required... but do carry on living in cloud-cuckoo land if you so desire...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here