Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Nottingham, Jul 14-18, 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why doesn't Root step up and bat at 3? Seems the most obvious move to make to improve this side. Ballance would be better at 4 or 5. I wouldn't mind seeing Bairstow at 4.

Ballance has a huge flaw in technique, which will be his downfall whether he bats at 2, 3, 4, 9 or 11.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hey [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]

Have you spotted any other VALUE in the betting markets today?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
At least I have a first day ticket for the Oval, so at guaranteed runs if SA bat or wickets if they bowl.

England woeful today

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In fairness, that was the most feeble batting display we've seen from England in a long time. I don't think anyone predicted that sort of gutless thrashing did they?

Maybe not QUITE as poor, but I think most predictions were that they wouldn't last the day.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Why doesn't Root step up and bat at 3? Seems the most obvious move to make to improve this side. Ballance would be better at 4 or 5. I wouldn't mind seeing Bairstow at 4.

There is a view that for Root to be effective as batsman and captain, he needs to have some time between innings to switch off etc. As we consistently are <20 for 1 he would be very quickly back on the field if batting at 3. That being said, we are quickly becoming <20 for 2 so it is making no difference whatsoever.

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
I can't remeber the last time an England side really fought to save a match! I dont just mean the tail holding on either. Cook to Root same sort of Captaincy. Cant see either of them giving the team the hair dryer treatment and if they did would it really have any affect?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is a view that for Root to be effective as batsman and captain, he needs to have some time between innings to switch off etc. As we consistently are <20 for 1 he would be very quickly back on the field if batting at 3. That being said, we are quickly becoming <20 for 2 so it is making no difference whatsoever.

Quite.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need an opener to replace Strauss which we havent found and a no 3 batsmen that can stay there for a. Hour or so to hold his end up if Root is going to be a succes at 4 failing that put him in at 5 followed by Bairstow then Stokes but that reduces the bowling strength.

That was a disgrace that all our bstsmen should be ashamed of.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ballance has a huge flaw in technique, which will be his downfall whether he bats at 2, 3, 4, 9 or 11.

He's averaging 101.87 batting at 4 for Yorkshire, not sure how you can leave him out?

Ballance is being subjected to the new ball which isn't happening for Yorkshire and he piles on the runs.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lost by 340 runs to a South African team missing Kagiso Rabada, Dale Steyn and AB de Villiers.

Poor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We need an opener to replace Strauss which we havent found and a no 3 batsmen that can stay there for a. Hour or so to hold his end up if Root is going to be a succes at 4 failing that put him in at 5 followed by Bairstow then Stokes but that reduces the bowling strength.

That was a disgrace that all our bstsmen should be ashamed of.

Number 3 needs to be able to bat for a day, not an hour.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Number 3 needs to be able to bat for a day, not an hour.

The other 10 cannot do that but if the no3 could stay there for a while we could begin to build an innings around him with others perhaps scoring quicker.Probably needs him to stay for 3 or 4 hours rather than 1. 1 hour would bd an improvement on the present.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's averaging 101.87 batting at 4 for Yorkshire, not sure how you can leave him out?

Ballance is being subjected to the new ball which isn't happening for Yorkshire and he piles on the runs.

We've been there with Hick and Ramprakash before. It doesn't matter what you do in county cricket if you haven't got the technique / temperament for test cricket.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've been there with Hick and Ramprakash before. It doesn't matter what you do in county cricket if you haven't got the technique / temperament for test cricket.

That is true. Have we reached that point with Ballance? I guess my worry is is have we tried him in the batting order where he gets all his runs for his county? It would be a little bit like picking a centre half for England and asking them to play at full back...(ha ha see what I did there...)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In fairness, that was the most feeble batting display we've seen from England in a long time. I don't think anyone predicted that sort of gutless thrashing did they?
Yes, SA certainly got the upper hand psychologically - and rubbed our noses in it good and proper. Fair play to them. I don't think it ultimately made any difference to the result, but they were greatly helped by their fourth choice quick managing to pull off two unplayable deliveries, the one to Root especially, with the one to Cook not far behind - and aim them at the two English players most likely to get stuck in and play a long game.
After that, English morale was shot to pieces. Not a good day for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here