Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I will be OK, I have my loyalty points from my 70's West Stand Season ticket and my life time membership payment back at Withdean. :thumbsup:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I don't think availability was the main issue, it was more about the pricing, as given the TV income the marginal gain to the club of the increased ticket prices is minimal.

I'm a Bronze member (joined for this season) and currently I'm weighing up whether I want to spend up to £45 on a ticket to watch a single football match. (Although the prices do make we realise what excellent value my Sky Sports subscription is).

When I first read this I wondered if you were trolling. In fact, I'm still not entirely certain.

Someone is simultaneously moaning about the prices charged by a Premier League football club and extolling the value of their Sky subscription? You couldn't make this shit up.

Apologies if I've been whooshed.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
did you have a season ticket for Gillingham if not minus 200 points

In my defence, I was lured away to Southampton and was having to babysit. There's bound to be a concesion for that, right.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
When I first read this I wondered if you were trolling. In fact, I'm still not entirely certain.

Someone is simultaneously moaning about the prices charged by a Premier League football club and extolling the value of their Sky subscription? You couldn't make this shit up.

Apologies if I've been whooshed.
Not trolling at all. Having read your posts in the past I know you're not stupid, so I'm surprised you didn't understand. I'll try and explain.

We've all got a limited amount of disposable income and we choose what to spend that on. Also we all want to get value and enjoyment from our leisure purchases. I'm actually not a huge football fan (any more) and I have zero interest in the sport outside of Brighton and England. I used to go to all the Albion games home and away, and now I attend about a dozen or so games a season. The reason for this is that I personally find the price of match tickets way too expensive. (I like to blag free ones off mates). For me they do not represent value for money. Sky Sports on the other hand, especially when compared against the cost of a football match ticket, I feel is excellent value for money. I can watch a whole month of the sports I enjoy (NFL, cricket, rugby league and rugby union), and all for less than the price of a SINGLE football match ticket! Even if your tastes are different, surely you can see my point? It's my personal choice.

The added wrinkle as I mentioned in another post is that my wife is not a football fan at all. She used to go when the kids were growing up, but that was just so that we could go out as a family. Either I've got to go on my own, or I've got to shell out upwards of £70 so that she can do something she won't particularly enjoy. (And we DO go occasionally). Either way that's money coming out of our leisure budget that we could spend on something that we could both enjoy.

So it's not 'making shit up', it's just that my choices aren't yours.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Apparently the tickets to see Chicago at the theatre royal are more than tickets for Man City!!! Can you believe that. Still, you do whatever you have to do to get through life :shrug:

*edit* @Brovian I bet you're wife enjoys football more than I enjoy musical theatre !

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think it may well come in handy, for example against ManU and Liverpool. They may not have had the recent success of petro-dollars ManC, but they're arguably still a bigger attraction. And/or if Brighton have a run of good results, playing good football.

Yeah, and I know I get better seats, and will have a better shot at away tickets with a Bronze membership, but I kind of begrudge the whole idea of bronze membership I suppose, even though the idea is to separate me from people wanting to just see United or Liverpool

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Attendances will drop after the first season. Some only like watching a winning team, and the novelty of the 'big' teams will soon wear off. It happened in 79-83 and it will happen again.

Very true. I live a mile from St Marys and attended a couple of games last season. I'm now offered tickets for every home game including Category A matches. Give it a few years in the premier league(if we stay up) and even the tickets for the big games will Go on general sale at the Amex.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very true. I live a mile from St Marys and attended a couple of games last season. I'm now offered tickets for every home game including Category A matches. Give it a few years in the premier league(if we stay up) and even the tickets for the big games will Go on general sale at the Amex.

This,

Unless we become a club on the fringes of the top 8, regularly winning at home.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not trolling at all. Having read your posts in the past I know you're not stupid, so I'm surprised you didn't understand. I'll try and explain.

We've all got a limited amount of disposable income and we choose what to spend that on. Also we all want to get value and enjoyment from our leisure purchases. I'm actually not a huge football fan (any more) and I have zero interest in the sport outside of Brighton and England. I used to go to all the Albion games home and away, and now I attend about a dozen or so games a season. The reason for this is that I personally find the price of match tickets way too expensive. (I like to blag free ones off mates). For me they do not represent value for money. Sky Sports on the other hand, especially when compared against the cost of a football match ticket, I feel is excellent value for money. I can watch a whole month of the sports I enjoy (NFL, cricket, rugby league and rugby union), and all for less than the price of a SINGLE football match ticket! Even if your tastes are different, surely you can see my point? It's my personal choice.

The added wrinkle as I mentioned in another post is that my wife is not a football fan at all. She used to go when the kids were growing up, but that was just so that we could go out as a family. Either I've got to go on my own, or I've got to shell out upwards of £70 so that she can do something she won't particularly enjoy. (And we DO go occasionally). Either way that's money coming out of our leisure budget that we could spend on something that we could both enjoy.

So it's not 'making shit up', it's just that my choices aren't yours.

I think he was saying that you can't get Sky for £20, which you can't. Presumably you are dividing the cost of Sky (around £90 pm) between sports, movies etc. Which is a Barber thing to do because you can't have sports on its own, or art least not for £20.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Blimey, that's good. I think our Premium package is about £45. I know it's priced so that if you have one you 'may as well' have the other, and cancelling one doesn't save you half.

I don't pay that by the way!!
I pay over £80 and that's without sports and movies :moo:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I think he was saying that you can't get Sky for £20, which you can't. Presumably you are dividing the cost of Sky (around £90 pm) between sports, movies etc. Which is a Barber thing to do because you can't have sports on its own, or art least not for £20.
If you'd read my post you'd have seen that that's how much I would save if I just cancelled Sky Sports but kept all my other packages. Ergo Sky Sports costs me an additional £20-odd a month. because if I didn't have it I would be about £20 a month better off. Understand?

And it was 'Simmo Says' who was querying the cost. The post you quoted was one where I was replying to someone who didn't understand that people cam have different concepts of what constitutes value for money.

I don't pay that by the way!!
I pay over £80 and that's without sports and movies :moo:
Jeez, I pay just under £70 and that's with loads of different packages ,including the Premium channels (Not HD though).

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
we have to do our best to pay these prices. or the poor footballer with a short career may not earn his 300k a week bless em!! they rely on us fans, sort ya self out. (I only go away games anyway so £30 cap for me).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why is everybody quoting the Cat A prices when complaining? Most games will be Cat B/C.

If I didn't have a ST, these would be the games I would be looking to go to and I certainly wouldn't spend the Cat A prices taking my children to watch the albion receive a potential cuffing and risk a 'can I support Man City instead daddy?'.

Unless of course I had the money to do so.

Re. Somebody talking about Sky, it has always been good value for money for anybody who likes watching sport. It is good value for money for exclusively football and it's even good value for money for exclusively the albion. That's the whole problem. They can continually and justifiably increase their subscription prices £70 £80 £90 £100 £150 many times over and it can still be considered as value offset against ticket prices. The reason I do not subscribe is entirely based on principle (though I sometimes doubt myself) and the fact I would trade many weekends of golf/cricket for just 90 mins of live football watching the albion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here