Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield signing EVERYONE...

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If you think we will spend £100m this season on combined transfer fees/wages then you are deluded.

I'm not deluded, as I don't believe we will spend it. I would like us to spend a fair amount of it, but don't think we will, unfortunately.

You're looking at it in a business way, ie we have losses, we've just had a big windfall, let's pay off our debts, spend somevof it and put some money away for a rainy day.

This is modern football. Clubs make losses, which are funded by their owners. How much do Bournemouth lose every year? £100m, £200m? But I'm sure their fans aren't asking the owners to be careful and put some money away for when they are relegated. Or take some of the TV money and pay back the owners. It's a reflection of the investment by the owners that they are nowhere near favourites for relegation.

I get the fact that we nearly went out of business, but circumstances were different then. We spent money that we didn't have. We've got a lot more of it now, even if we are relegated.

As somebody else said, we could do a Bournemouth or Southampton, or fizzle out and have the best bank balance in the Championship. Then try to beat teams like Sunderland, Hull, Norwich, Leeds, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and whoever else is relegated, to those 2/3 promotion slots. And if we managed it, we're back where we started.

I've said my bit. Let's all hope we get the players in to keep us up.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've been mulling this quandary over since they started playing Wolf of Wall St up at the McAlpine and a thought occurred.

They were starting from a very low cost base (someone less lazy than I will know how to find this out) and therefore to walk into £170-190m windfall really is just that.

Hudds have spent £30-35m so far, which will likely come with a £15-17m a year wage bill and they view that as a gamble worth taking but it's also a big risk as if they come down they won't necessarily recoup the money for the players and will be stuck with them on long contracts.

The end worst case result for them is that they come straight back down and have to use the parachute money to maintain status quo for a net net no difference from the Premier League adventure.

We on the other hand were already running at huge losses and know that we want to be sustainable long term so we won't risk the future sustainability plan for the sake of short term gain.

First of all, please note that by disagreeing with you, I do not mean to say we should spunk a load of money for the sake of it akin to some other clubs.

However, could you explain how you know that is a 'sustainable' model? Surely it is only sustainable so long as we have an owner willing to subsidise losses?

Say we get relegated, there are no guarantees we would bounce back within 2 seasons and the second season will be harder to do so than in the first. So within 2 years, we could be back to where we started from, except this time we'd probably need another transitional season to weed out any residual leeches clinging onto their contracts. So perhaps 3 years to be back to where we were in our first/second season at the Amex. Most of our team would be gone, CH would be gone, probably a new CEO and Tony would be back to subsidising 10M+ a season building a team to get us back... and it took us a while last time didn't it? Factor in the increasing strength of the Championship in line with increased parachutes trickling down.

I would say this season is imperative we stay up, as at the very least it will give us 3 years of parachutes instead of 2, aswell as another lump of cash. Of course the sky won't be falling in if we go down, but you can bet TB won't be so blase about it like some of our fans are and he will be doing absolutely everything possible to give us the strongest team possible to stay up.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
First of all, please note that by disagreeing with you, I do not mean to say we should spunk a load of money for the sake of it akin to some other clubs.

However, could you explain how you know that is a 'sustainable' model? Surely it is only sustainable so long as we have an owner willing to subsidise losses?

Say we get relegated, there are no guarantees we would bounce back within 2 seasons and the second season will be harder to do so than in the first. So within 2 years, we could be back to where we started from, except this time we'd probably need another transitional season to weed out any residual leeches clinging onto their contracts. So perhaps 3 years to be back to where we were in our first/second season at the Amex. Most of our team would be gone, CH would be gone, probably a new CEO and Tony would be back to subsidising 10M+ a season building a team to get us back... and it took us a while last time didn't it? Factor in the increasing strength of the Championship in line with increased parachutes trickling down.

I would say this season is imperitive we stay up, as at the very least it will give us 3 years of parachutes instead of 2, aswell as another lump of cash. Of course the sky won't be falling in if we go down, but you can bet TB won't be so blase about it as some of our fans are and will be doing absolutely everything possible to give us the strongest team possible to stay up.

:thumbsup:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

I would say this season is imperitive we stay up, as at the very least it will give us 3 years of parachutes instead of 2, aswell as another lump of cash. Of course the sky won't be falling in if we go down, but you can bet TB won't be so blase about it as some of our fans are and will be doing absolutely everything possible to give us the strongest team possible to stay up.

It becomes sustainable by living within our means. Even first time relegation in 20th place brings in £170m which as long as we don't spend £70m now on transfers and wages will start repaying TB OR leave a nice nest egg to subsidise/reduce future losses for mounting another promotion challenge.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No thumbs down button yet?

Oh well here goes:

Our premier league rivals (Teams that will finish 8th -20th) are getting ahead of us in this transfer window!

You may copy and paste this one. It seems less harsh.

dislike-facebook.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It becomes sustainable by living within our means. Even first time relegation in 20th place brings in £170m which as long as we don't spend £70m now on transfers and wages will start repaying TB OR leave a nice nest egg to subsidise/reduce future losses for mounting another promotion challenge.

Or, get it right first time and stay up, banking an extra £100m per annum ad infinitum (Stains, Palace and Bournemouth).

I reckon TB is doing all he can behind the scenes to give us the best possible means of achieving this.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would like us to buy a few players with PL experience, I think all teams need that in a difficult division.
But, and i was only having this conversation a couple of weeks ago, that outside of the top 6 or 7 clubs, the PL clubs have many players that I bet few people could repeat their names unless you support them, good players no doubt, good enough to have kept their team in the division, some finishing in the top 10, but journeymen nevertheless.
I appreciate that it is a big step up, but we were very good last season and really should/could have won it by quite a few points, so with a good manager, the right tactics and togetherness, who is to say that most of our players are not good enough to stay up next year.I thought that in many games last season we played PL quality football.
My main worry is that if we sneak a goal to go ahead or equalise with 30 minutes or so to go, that if we sit back and defend like we tend to do, then we are going to be in a lot of trouble, many teams in the PL, have the ability to step up when they are needed and get the winning goal, somehow we need to stop doing that this season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i see on the BBC gossip column that Arsenal are willing to let Sanchez go for £80M .......perhaps not this time Huddersfield

LondonTown

Mar 13, 2017
i see on the BBC gossip column that Arsenal are willing to let Sanchez go for £80M .......perhaps not this time Huddersfield
He was spotted in Huddersfield on Friday. His signing is to be announced on Monday. A private benefactor funded this one, not the chairman Dean Hoyle. Chelsea didn't want to sell Izzy Brown, and we already have one loan from them, so we had to look elsewhere. We went for PL experience on this occasion.

I hope Izzy does well for you.

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
He was spotted in Huddersfield on Friday. His signing is to be announced on Monday. A private benefactor funded this one, not the chairman Dean Hoyle. Chelsea didn't want to sell Izzy Brown, and we already have one loan from them, so we had to look elsewhere. We went for PL experience on this occasion.

I hope Izzy does well for you.

Da Sandro's by any chance?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They might have signed everyone and they might have all had plenty of time to bond, but nonetheless...

Lost 2-1 to Udinese tonight. Although Udinese aren't exactly Southend of course. They finished 13th in Seria A last season.

Wagner was a bit gloomy in his post match comments. "We have a lot of work to do".

Jonathan Hogg injured. Unsure if serious or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here