Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield signing EVERYONE...

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
£7.5m rising to £10m if we stay up. He'll add to our attack, which was our weakness last season. We're all pretty happy with it.

Surprising comments about Mooy. We think that £8m rising to £10m with survival is a pretty damn good deal for (arguably) the best player in the league last season.

Mounié (£11m), Palmer (loan), and Williams (free, Hogg backup) to be announced in the next day or so and we'll have the majority of our squad together for the start of pre-season, which is absolutely critical in replicating the team spirit of last season. Exciting times.

'he is always a threat' David Wagner

No. No he isn't. Twice failed in the prem and not even in the top 10 of championship players last season. Would be very underwhelmed if we had signed him for that much poke.

EDIT - thats re Ince. Think we were in agreement Mooy was a good signing considering we were after him

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017

No. No he isn't. Twice failed in the prem and not even in the top 10 of championship players last season. Would be very underwhelmed if we had signed him for that much poke.

EDIT - thats re Ince. Think we were in agreement Mooy was a good signing considering we were after him

Let's just see when the season starts, words now are pointless.

That said in 105 games for Derby he score 37 goals and made 15 assists - c. a 1 in 2 record. I'd also define that as "always a threat"

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Let's just see when the season starts, words now are pointless.

That said in 105 games for Derby he score 37 goals and made 15 assists - c. a 1 in 2 record. I'd also define that as "always a threat"

More like a threat half the time :cool:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
£7.5m rising to £10m if we stay up. He'll add to our attack, which was our weakness last season. We're all pretty happy with it.

Surprising comments about Mooy. We think that £8m rising to £10m with survival is a pretty damn good deal for (arguably) the best player in the league last season.

Mounié (£11m), Palmer (loan), and Williams (free, Hogg backup) to be announced in the next day or so and we'll have the majority of our squad together for the start of pre-season, which is absolutely critical in replicating the team spirit of last season. Exciting times.

Yes coming together nicely.

I really rate Mooy, but £5m - £6m max for me. He was anonymous in the play-off final, and Williams was the stand out for me.

He seemed to vanish towards the end as well, so this year will be interesting to see if he can maintain his high standards.

Personally, also rate Ince, though yet to really shine against us from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Is knocky always a threat?

Bit of a stretch to be in the top players of the season in a struggling Derby side. Did clock up 15 goals and assists though so can't have been too unthreatening. :shrug:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes coming together nicely.

I really rate Mooy, but £5m - £6m max for me. He was anonymous in the play-off final, and Williams was the stand out for me.

He seemed to vanish towards the end as well, so this year will be interesting to see if he can maintain his high standards.

Personally, also rate Ince, though yet to really shine against us from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny Williams was MOM in the play-off final and would fill a tentative gap in the Brighton side, but more likely to be on our list of second choices. The problem is getting knocked back with the first choices and missing out on the second choices.

Not perturbed at not signing Tom Ince, Will Hughes, Mooy, and good luck to the teams who signed them, except Watford, of course. I'm not sure of we would be able to get better than Danny Williams as a left-sided defensive midfielder?

Nor Abraham, Gomez, because they are only loans.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Palmer signed on season loan.

Isiah brown rumored to be next!

Done well for a team who have had 4 weeks less preparation.

But that means they're merely signing up players that helped them to promotion. We don't need to - ours are already signed up.

As for the others they've brought in, if Ince and Mooy are the standard, I feel we can do better and will with our wider, better prepared scouting network. We already have players of that quality and are looking to improve.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Assume you didn't go to the home game against Huddersfield then ?

They were top of the league at that point and were dire... wasted time from minute one and at no point bossed us.

We weren't firing on all cylinders against Huddersfield at home, but from memory Tomer Hemed had a lot of room in midfield (very deep lying striker) in the first half. We had a good team (almost first choice apart from Murphy and Skalak) out before our lowest gate of the season. Elvis skinned Tom Field with ease in the last minute.

Although we had most of the play, I can only think we won because the crowd frightened their keeper. Huddersfield had their strongest team out but we never looked like conceding.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Like i said in the Mooy thread I do think Ince is an upgrade on VLP but I think he's no Kachunga. His stats look (i.e. ARE) good but I remain to be convinced that he'll fit Wagners style.

Mooy and that big lump up top though; they look like quality signings to me.

Makes me extra glad we've got March and Knocky.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We don't need so many players in quantity as Huddersfield. We have seven first team squad coming back from longish term injuries and about four coming back from shorter term injuries.

Apart from left back and striker to fill, the onus is on quality.

I would tend to think Tom Ince is better than Jamie Murphy but we might want better? Mooy is better than Kayal at goalscoring but otherwise there is not much in it.

Huddersfield are making a good fist of their signings. No doubt about it. But the teams are not comparable.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4-4-1-1

PS vs Huddersfield (H) was the game when we played the 4-4-1-1 with Knocky in the hole or interchanging with Hemed who played deep. I don't think it was judged a success as it was not repeated.

We had to draw Huddersfield out of their defensive shell. I don't think it was a failure tactically. It was just that with Knockaert playing a second striker role we missed him on the wing. I think 4-4-1-1 may be a formation we will see at home next season. Maybe 4-3-2-1 away and against the top 6 at home?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Danny Williams signed too! They are certainly getting in quick with their business! They lost their head of recruitment to Norwich too I believe!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Danny Williams signed too! They are certainly getting in quick with their business! They lost their head of recruitment to Norwich too I believe!

I would hope we are aiming a bit higher than Huddersfield and that is why we are taking a bit longer but I think Williams on a free transfer is a very decent deal (although I do believe they overpaid for Mooy and Ince). Either way, if they do go down they are equipping themselves well to go back up again with very good Championship players. The big question is how they will do in the Premier League but that'll be the same for our signings when we make them.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

This one might count as a good signing. Forging ahead of us with this one?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
They are doing it the right way - getting in early and buying players who are good at championship level and capable of going one better. They don't seem to be quite as obsessed about value as we are.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017

Scott Malone to be announced tonight too, and then Mounie tomorrow.

It's not that surprising though, Wagner is all about the summer pre-season. Part of him agreeing the 2 year management deal will have been for us to get our business done earlier (and therefore taking the slight potential hit in valuations).

Expect Ranocchia and maybe a right-back back up (possibly Yiadom) and we'll be done, pending a mad loan like Ollie Burke or Patrick Roberts.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Scott Malone to be announced tonight too, and then Mounie tomorrow.

It's not that surprising though, Wagner is all about the summer pre-season. Part of him agreeing the 2 year management deal will have been for us to get our business done earlier (and therefore taking the slight potential hit in valuations).

Expect Ranocchia and maybe a right-back back up (possibly Yiadom) and we'll be done, pending a mad loan like Ollie Burke or Patrick Roberts.

Fair play...Looks like you have done some very good business!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here